First time in F for my wife PVG - FRA - TXL - what to expect?

Old Dec 31, 19, 7:33 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 322
First time in F for my wife PVG - FRA - TXL - what to expect?

It's been ages since I've last been in F on LH (typically travel LX), so I'm tapping into the expertise here.

I've just booked my wife on her first F trip ever, and would like this experience to be memorable.

PVG via FRA to TXL, on LH733. Apparently that's a 340-600.

Couple of questions:

- does LH offer escorting to lounge and gate in PVG?
- I've reserved 1A, anything wrong with this?
- How's the 340-600 F? Is it a modern cabin?
- Given that this is an overnight leaving around midnight, can you get your food at your convenience or are you stuck to eating at 2am local time?
- What to expect in FRA? She has 2h15 stopover with a connection to TXL, will somebody walk her to the F lounge and to the connecting flight?
- Are pyjamas still Van Laack?
- I presume caviar is still on the menu?

Anything else to watch out for, or other recommendations on how to make this a pleasant experience?
Mozart0815 is offline  
Old Dec 31, 19, 7:43 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 4,816
1A would be my preference on A346, all LH F is basically the same hard product & looking itís age, A346 is fine but itís the oldest airframe with F on LH.

You can dine when you like but order/ tell the crew when they come to take food orders after takeoff, or the Pilots will eat the lot...

No ground service on arrival, need to find own way to F lounge or FCT , look at FCT thread.

Van Laack Pyjamas & Caviar.
chris63 is offline  
Old Dec 31, 19, 8:08 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 322
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
1A would be my preference on A346, all LH F is basically the same hard product & looking itís age, A346 is fine but itís the oldest airframe with F on LH.

You can dine when you like but order/ tell the crew when they come to take food orders after takeoff, or the Pilots will eat the lot...

No ground service on arrival, need to find own way to F lounge or FCT , look at FCT thread.

Van Laack Pyjamas & Caviar.
Thanks. That confirms a bit what I was afraid of, probably barely better than my regular QR Qsuites.

Would LX (was also available but at less convenient time) have been a better choice?
Mozart0815 is offline  
Old Dec 31, 19, 8:24 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 4,816
Originally Posted by Mozart0815 View Post
Thanks. That confirms a bit what I was afraid of, probably barely better than my regular QR Qsuites.

Would LX (was also available but at less convenient time) have been a better choice?
F is F, itís still a good product, LX F hard product is new on 777 & A340 which are refurbished & would be my choice currently, particularly because of threatened strikes from UFO & the ongoing catering disputes.
chris63 is offline  
Old Dec 31, 19, 8:57 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 322
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
F is F, itís still a good product, LX F hard product is new on 777 & A340 which are refurbished & would be my choice currently, particularly because of threatened strikes from UFO & the ongoing catering disputes.
This flight is for April, letís hope they have resolved at least some of these issues by then.

I was on LX F A340 just two weeks ago, and agree itís a nice hard product. But the flight is in the morning which would take away an entire day of vacation. Not sure the better hard product is worth that.
Mozart0815 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 20, 3:11 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Germany
Programs: Star Alliance Gold
Posts: 72
Originally Posted by Mozart0815 View Post
It's been ages since I've last been in F on LH (typically travel LX), so I'm tapping into the expertise here.

I've just booked my wife on her first F trip ever, and would like this experience to be memorable.

PVG via FRA to TXL, on LH733. Apparently that's a 340-600.

Couple of questions:

- does LH offer escorting to lounge and gate in PVG?
- I've reserved 1A, anything wrong with this?
- How's the 340-600 F? Is it a modern cabin?
- Given that this is an overnight leaving around midnight, can you get your food at your convenience or are you stuck to eating at 2am local time?
- What to expect in FRA? She has 2h15 stopover with a connection to TXL, will somebody walk her to the F lounge and to the connecting flight?
- Are pyjamas still Van Laack?
- I presume caviar is still on the menu?

Anything else to watch out for, or other recommendations on how to make this a pleasant experience?
There is an escort from check in to the Lounge at PVG - not to the gate though.
Mozart0815 likes this.
Alisamix is online now  
Old Jan 4, 20, 5:07 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 322
Originally Posted by Alisamix View Post
There is an escort from check in to the Lounge at PVG - not to the gate though.
Thanks. Thatís similar to my LX experience.
Mozart0815 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 20, 5:15 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London, Paris
Programs: LH HON
Posts: 1,572
The LH A346 F is still an excellent product and will be miles better than what Q suites offer. Thatís not to say that the Q suites are bad, just that Q suites are an excellent business class. LH F, despite its age, is still an excellent first class. The only real point of obsolescence is the small TV screen, which shouldnít matter since itís a night flight.

I personally prefer the second row in the A346 because it makes the cabin feel more spacious, but this is subjective.

In FRA, not sure what gate you will arrive at, but itís probably best to go to the closest FCL. If arriving at Z, that means FCL A. If B, FCL B. TXL will likely leave from the A gates which means that if she goes to FCL B she will he driven to the plane. If FCL A, she will need to go to the gate on her own.

Some here advocate for going to the FCT. This would involve going through passport control, leaving the airport and walking outside. Depending on the weather and how tired your wife feels, this might not be a pleasant experience. The only advantage the FCT offers compared to FCL A is that she will be driven to the plane no matter what.

Some people care about that, others donít. Iím personally a bit divided. If the weather is nice, and I have a not-short connection and Iím not tired, I would be inclined to go to the FCT. If the weather isnít nice or Iím tired, I wouldnít be bothered to go.
sophialite is offline  
Old Jan 4, 20, 6:35 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 322
Originally Posted by sophialite View Post
The LH A346 F is still an excellent product and will be miles better than what Q suites offer. Thatís not to say that the Q suites are bad, just that Q suites are an excellent business class. LH F, despite its age, is still an excellent first class. The only real point of obsolescence is the small TV screen, which shouldnít matter since itís a night flight.

I personally prefer the second row in the A346 because it makes the cabin feel more spacious, but this is subjective.

In FRA, not sure what gate you will arrive at, but itís probably best to go to the closest FCL. If arriving at Z, that means FCL A. If B, FCL B. TXL will likely leave from the A gates which means that if she goes to FCL B she will he driven to the plane. If FCL A, she will need to go to the gate on her own.

Some here advocate for going to the FCT. This would involve going through passport control, leaving the airport and walking outside. Depending on the weather and how tired your wife feels, this might not be a pleasant experience. The only advantage the FCT offers compared to FCL A is that she will be driven to the plane no matter what.

Some people care about that, others donít. Iím personally a bit divided. If the weather is nice, and I have a not-short connection and Iím not tired, I would be inclined to go to the FCT. If the weather isnít nice or Iím tired, I wouldnít be bothered to go.
Thanks. Very helpful. Iím not typically commuting through FRA so this is useful. Is the FCT easy to find? This is for my wife and sheís a much less frequent traveler than I am.
Mozart0815 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 20, 6:37 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Moon
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton D
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by sophialite View Post
The LH A346 F is still an excellent product and will be miles better than what Q suites offer. Thatís not to say that the Q suites are bad, just that Q suites are an excellent business class. LH F, despite its age, is still an excellent first class. The only real point of obsolescence is the small TV screen, which shouldnít matter since itís a night flight.

I personally prefer the second row in the A346 because it makes the cabin feel more spacious, but this is subjective.

In FRA, not sure what gate you will arrive at, but itís probably best to go to the closest FCL. If arriving at Z, that means FCL A. If B, FCL B. TXL will likely leave from the A gates which means that if she goes to FCL B she will he driven to the plane. If FCL A, she will need to go to the gate on her own.

Some here advocate for going to the FCT. This would involve going through passport control, leaving the airport and walking outside. Depending on the weather and how tired your wife feels, this might not be a pleasant experience. The only advantage the FCT offers compared to FCL A is that she will be driven to the plane no matter what.

Some people care about that, others donít. Iím personally a bit divided. If the weather is nice, and I have a not-short connection and Iím not tired, I would be inclined to go to the FCT. If the weather isnít nice or Iím tired, I wouldnít be bothered to go.
I thought FCL B would only drive to *non Schengen* flights which do not depart from Pier B. Has that recently been changed?
Thomas.T is offline  
Old Jan 4, 20, 6:43 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 4,816
Originally Posted by Mozart0815 View Post
Thanks. Very helpful. Iím not typically commuting through FRA so this is useful. Is the FCT easy to find? This is for my wife and sheís a much less frequent traveler than I am.
FCT is extremely easy to find, exit at A turn left & itís almost all the way undercover of the terminal & roadway, at the end of the terminal building, just look up & infront and you can see the FCT. Enter through the ground floor & take elevator up.

Other advantage of the FCT is they have dedicated PAís so no need to monitor the flights itís all taken care of & they come for you prior to boarding & take you to the car.
Mozart0815 likes this.
chris63 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 20, 6:47 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 4,816
Originally Posted by Thomas.T View Post
I thought FCL B would only drive to *non Schengen* flights which do not depart from Pier B. Has that recently been changed?
Correct & Z pier gates, not to A pier gate departures.
chris63 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 20, 6:58 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London, Paris
Programs: LH HON
Posts: 1,572
Originally Posted by Thomas.T View Post
I thought FCL B would only drive to *non Schengen* flights which do not depart from Pier B. Has that recently been changed?
Oh I didnít know. Did that change? I was recently driven to a flight to FCO from FCL B.
sophialite is offline  
Old Jan 4, 20, 7:02 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London, Paris
Programs: LH HON
Posts: 1,572
Originally Posted by Mozart0815 View Post
Thanks. Very helpful. Iím not typically commuting through FRA so this is useful. Is the FCT easy to find? This is for my wife and sheís a much less frequent traveler than I am.
Itís not hard, but it isnít particularly intuitive if itís your first time. She has to get out at the right level and there isnít great signage, so she might wonder if she went too far or not far enough at some point.

Also there isnít a golden pathway to the FCT from the airport exit. You have to walk down the arrivals level, and then cross a few roads, and then youíre at the FCT. The pavement is uneven because you have to step onto curbs and off them, and some of the path is brick-like. If youíre using a rolley, itís irritating. If your using a rolley and wearing heels, itís really irritating.
sophialite is offline  
Old Jan 4, 20, 7:31 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Moon
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton D
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by sophialite View Post
Oh I didnít know. Did that change? I was recently driven to a flight to FCO from FCL B.
But when did you go through the passport control? FCL B is outside Schengen.
Thomas.T is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: