Wiki Posts
Search

Checking Bags on Last Segment Only?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2019, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH Senator BA Silver
Checking Bags on Last Segment Only?

I'm assuming this is completely viable, but can anyone confirm if I am able to check bags into the final segment for a JNB-FRA-BRU flight ticketed as one F RT revenue ticket? I have a few bags in storage in FRA that I would like to claim and re-check in FRA for the final segment to BRU. There is a 4 hour layover, so I'm not concerned about time.

This would avoid me having to ditch the last segment and take a separate flight to AMS (my new final destination.). I would now keep the ticketed journey in tact and just hire a Blacklane driver to take us from BRU to Amsterdam City as the train would be a challenge with bags from a month-long journey.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 12:51 am

I did something smilar in the past. Not a problem as long as the total number of bags checked are inside the limit of your ticket.
wfiring12 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
I did something smilar in the past. Not a problem as long as the total number of bags checked are inside the limit of your ticket.
+ 1

It won’t be a problem
wfiring12 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:35 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
On arrival in FRA go through passport control, retrieve and check your bags and walk to the FCT.
chris63 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You may even do this if it takes you over your "limit" and then pay the fee.

Many people do this for many reasons and it is quite simple so long as you have the time built in to deal with passport control, baggage drop, and security in various phases.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by Often1
You may even do this if it takes you over your "limit" and then pay the fee.

Many people do this for many reasons and it is quite simple so long as you have the time built in to deal with passport control, baggage drop, and security in various phases.
But in the OP's case, wouldn't there be a chance that the computer by default quote the excess baggage charge for the full JNB-FRA-BRU journey (even if the extra bags are added in FRA) as opposed to the excess baggage charge for just the FRA-BRU segment?
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daniellam
But in the OP's case, wouldn't there be a chance that the computer by default quote the excess baggage charge for the full JNB-FRA-BRU journey (even if the extra bags are added in FRA) as opposed to the excess baggage charge for just the FRA-BRU segment?
That should not be the case, since the bags would have a separate checkin baggage tag FRA-BRU

In the OP’s case in F & SEN it’s very unlikely there will be excess baggage fees
Old Dec 28, 2019, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by chris63
That should not be the case, since the bags would have a separate checkin baggage tag FRA-BRU

In the OP’s case in F & SEN it’s very unlikely there will be excess baggage fees
You will have a total of 4 pieces (3 regular + 1 for SEN) 32 KG each.
chris63 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will have a total of 4 pieces (3 regular + 1 for SEN) 32 KG each.
Exactly & with 2 pax that’s an awful lot of permitted baggage
Old Dec 29, 2019, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Senator BA Silver
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
On arrival in FRA go through passport control, retrieve and check your bags and walk to the FCT.
Thank you, we did exactly this about two hours ago. It appears as all four bags (2 checked at JNB and 2 here at FRA) have been loaded on our flight to BRU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.