separate LH tickets?

Old Dec 18, 19, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Chase, United
separate LH tickets?

I need to have one institution buy me a round trip into and then out of FRA on LH. On the day of departure, I'd like to fly into FRA on a separate ticket bought separately, and then have an hour and 40 minute layover, and fly out on my return ticket home. So I'd buy two tickets:

Round trip ticket, with rough details:

Sept 1, USA -> FRA
Sept 10, 10:10 AM FRA -> USA

In the time in Europe I'll be travelling around in Europe. I'll use separate one way tickets to move around. A second ticket at the end would be:

Sept 10: 7am - 8:30Am, VCE - FRA

an I do this? Would I or can I, after purchasing both, "join" the tickets in some way, so that LH would take care of me if the first flight delayed? Or is this whole thing so unadvisable that it would be better to get back to FRA the day before flying home, even if just overnighting in airport hotel?

thanks in advance!
zczc
Old Dec 18, 19, 2:43 pm

Programs: LH HON
If your VCE flight is delayed, youíre on your own... so I would strongly advise to book it as one ticket or to fly into FRA the Night before
zoechow and DiamondMile like this.
Old Dec 18, 19, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by zoechow View Post
Would I or can I, after purchasing both, "join" the tickets in some way, so that LH would take care of me if the first flight delayed?
That is not possible, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by zoechow View Post
Or is this whole thing so unadvisable that it would be better to get back to FRA the day before flying home, even if just overnighting in airport hotel?
Usually that connection should work. But there is a significant risk, that you miss your flight to the US. So my advice is to follow daumueller's advice. If you fly to FRA in the evening before, you just change a night in VCE against a night in FRA. Could even save some money.
zoechow likes this.
Old Dec 18, 19, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You can do this if you wish, but you should understand as follows:

1. Each ticket is its own contract to transport you between A & B.
2. One cannot connect between separate tickets and they cannot be "joined" in any meaningful way.
3. If you no show for a given ticket, that ticket will be cancelled and will retain whatever value it has under its fare rules, generally $0.
4. You may need to purchase new tickets for your next segment and you will certainly have to pay for the expenses such as hotel & meals which would ordinarily be covered for a connection.
5. Generally speaking, but not always, you may change a ticket for one fee. Thus, if you need to later move your trip by a week, you will pay one fee to make the changes. If you have multiple separate tickets, you will pay a fee for each ticket.

Many people face the issue you face and they work it out with the third-party paying for the significant part of the travel, e.g., you may for the ticket and only submit for reimbursement the portion of the ticket attributable to the third party's requirement. There are many other ways to do this and I would think about all of those before resorting to this.
zoechow likes this.
Old Dec 19, 19, 12:47 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Guys, lets be realistic here. Yes, it is 2 tickets and the OP would not be protected etc etc, BUT it appears to be the first VCE-FRA LH flight of the day, i.e. the aircraft would arrive from FRA the evening before and making any significantly delayed dept. from VCE very unlikely and the OP has 1h:40 min at FRA to get to the Z gate (to get from A to Z/B is quite easy). I would do it without hesitation (in particular if travelling with no checked bags). The chance that the OP will miss the US flight at FRA is extremely unlikely if traveling HBO.
Old Dec 19, 19, 1:33 am

If you depart from your home or if you have an important meeting the evening before, the risk could be worth taken.

But if you are on travel anyway and you can avoid the risk just by sleeping in another city, it’s not worth to take the risk from my point of view.

Personally I would sleep in FRA anyway, just for not having to get up that early in Venice. Getting up for a departure at 7am means getting up at 4am or earlier.

Booking the whole connection on one ticket would be fine for me as well. Enough flights to the US to get rebooked at, if things going wrong and with the airline taking care of it.
Stewie Mac and Fabo.sk like this.
Old Dec 19, 19, 1:40 am

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Talk to a travel agent ��
Old Dec 19, 19, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Your return from Venice does not involve a connection, it is two separate tickets. If you are not at the boarding gate in FRA at the appropriate time you'll have to buy a new ticket to get home. You cannot combine separate tickets.
Often1 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 19, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Guys, lets be realistic here. Yes, it is 2 tickets and the OP would not be protected etc etc, BUT it appears to be the first VCE-FRA LH flight of the day, i.e. the aircraft would arrive from FRA the evening before and making any significantly delayed dept. from VCE very unlikely and the OP has 1h:40 min at FRA to get to the Z gate (to get from A to Z/B is quite easy). I would do it without hesitation (in particular if travelling with no checked bags). The chance that the OP will miss the US flight at FRA is extremely unlikely if traveling HBO.
1.5 hours in FRA to catch a connecting flight on a separate ticket is way too risky, even given the circumstances above.
zoechow likes this.
Old Dec 19, 19, 1:54 am

You got already very good advice.Most likely you will make the transfer in FRA
It all comes down to calculate the propabilities:

How likely is it that your inbound from VCE will be significantly delayed and you miss the next flight?
How much does it cost you if you miss the flight (flexible, refundable ticket or complete loss of value?)
Old Dec 19, 19, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Since OP has no relevant data with which to compute probabilities, that exercise would be futile.
Often1 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 19, 4:43 am

Itís far above a nontrivial chance that OP will miss his or her flight. If the connecting flight was high value, I wouldnít take that risk. If it was a low value flight, I wouldnít care.

In no circumstances would I want to do an overnight layover. I would try to just buy a later flight from FRA to give myself more connection time.
Old Dec 19, 19, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
hbo or with checked luggage?

if checked luggage there is a risk on separate tickets that the bags may not be checked through and you would have to collect and recheck them.

this just adds a further concern to what I consider a risky transit on separate tickets!
zoechow likes this.
Old Dec 19, 19, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Chase, United
Originally Posted by scottishpoet View Post
hbo or with checked luggage?

if checked luggage there is a risk on separate tickets that the bags may not be checked through and you would have to collect and recheck them.

this just adds a further concern to what I consider a risky transit on separate tickets!
i hadnít thought of this! Thanks. I think Iím not the type to risk it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: