Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Do I get extra baggage allowance: TK G* on flight redeemed with Lifemiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

So I redeemed an economy class flight on Lufthansa-Turkish with Avianca Lifemiles and am a Turkish Airlines Star Gold member. Do I get an extra checked bag?

I asked the Lufthansa people on the phone and though they were able to attach my TK FF number with no issues, they said the extra baggage allowance didn't come up 'automatically' and that I should show my TK card at check in.

As the flight leaves tomorrow, I really want to avoid a situation where I'm stuck with a bag I can't check in so I'm looking for any advice or help you guys might have.

Thanks a lot!

P.S. Lufthansa is ridiculous for allowing just one bag one a flight which goes half way around the world.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by wariobahn
So I redeemed an economy class flight on Lufthansa-Turkish with Avianca Lifemiles and am a Turkish Airlines Star Gold member. Do I get an extra checked bag?

I asked the Lufthansa people on the phone and though they were able to attach my TK FF number with no issues, they said the extra baggage allowance didn't come up 'automatically' and that I should show my TK card at check in.

As the flight leaves tomorrow, I really want to avoid a situation where I'm stuck with a bag I can't check in so I'm looking for any advice or help you guys might have.

Thanks a lot!

P.S. Lufthansa is ridiculous for allowing just one bag one a flight which goes half way around the world.
*A G get extra bag on all flights that are not ‘light fares’ & awards are not ‘light fares’ so you will be fine, just show your *A gold card as you check your bags in.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I agree, just show your card or on the TK app at check-in and the 2nd bag should be no problem. Nothing to worry about.

Rest assured that your second bag will travel with you. LH is not going to deny you a 2nd bag; the worst thing that may happen is that LH will charge you for the 2nd bag.

LH can't change FFP No. in award reservations of other carriers. That is the reason why the agent couldn't insert your TK No. in the reservation; he/she should have known that.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite

Regardless of the distance I believe 90% of all pax are able to restrict themselves to 1 bag/person. Personally, I have traveled "half way around the world" many times, and I can't recall a single time a 2nd checked bag was necessary.

For LH it is a matter of cost saving (fuel) - more luggage in the hold means higher fuel consumption and less revenue as cargo capacity is reduced.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:00 am

Of course LH allows up to 6 pieces of baggage with a total of 144kg for free on a flight.

And - hard to believe - there are people with that allowance, who only travel with cabin baggage.
chris63, SK AAR and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:00 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by thbe
Of course LH allows up to 6 pieces of baggage with a total of 144kg for free on a flight.

And - hard to believe - there are people with that allowance, who only travel with cabin baggage.
My recent trip to ICN - allowance: 4 x 32kg, flown with hand baggage only
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot guys, typing this from Frankfurt right now. I was able to get both bags check in without issue. Funnily, I was able to enter the TK FF at check in and the *G popped on my boarding pass automagically.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:22 am

...and the *G popped on my boarding pass automagically.
No "magic" involved: it's called database interoperability!
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
The difference is, data ownership transfers on checkin, so now LH was able to write the FFP number. While in "Manage My Booking" state, Avianca was the ticket owner.
chris63 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.