Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ACflyerDE
The programme will now change from 1 January 2022 (postponed again and it will not start before 2023)
https://www.miles-and-more.com/row/e...ts/update.html

All the changes are listed on the official M&M Website: https://www.miles-and-more.com/de/en...ts/update.html

Starting 2021, the system for earning status changes. From then on, status points are earned by cabin and segment flown:

Regional flights will earn 5 points in Economy and Premium Economy, 10 points in First and Business class per segment
Intercontinental flights, ie flights between two IATA regions, will earn 15 points in Economy, 20 in Premium Economy, 50 in Business and 70 in First class segments

There will be two kinds of points : qualifying points (QP): earned with M&M integrated partners (LH/EW/LX/OS/LO/OU/LG/etc) and normal points : earned with other partners like the airlines in the Star Alliance. QP can be earned on LH Airrail train segments, but are capped at 40/120/250 per year for FTL/SEN/HON.

'Frequent Traveler' (FTL, equivalent to *S) status is given to members with 160 points (of which atleast 80 need to be QP), 'Senator' (SEN, *G) to members with 480 points (of which atleast 240 need to be QP). HON Circle (HON) is awarded after reaching 1500 QP in one year.

SEN will receive two evouchers upon qualification each year, HON 4 evouchers. There will be no rollover of QP, but for members who exceed the qualification QP level, M&M will grant the following benefits:
FTL: Mileage exchange for QP at 200 qualifying points
SEN: 2 eVoucher at 700 qualifying points; 15,000 award miles at 1,000 qualifying points; Frequent Traveller partner card at 1,300 qualifying points
HON:2 eVoucher at 1,800 qualifying points; 30,000 award miles at 2,100 qualifying points; 2 eVoucher at 2,400 qualifying points; Frequent Traveller partner card at 2,700 qualifying points; Senator partner card at 3,000 qualifying points

The system of status miles, HON Circle miles, select miles, and status star points will be abolished at the end of 2020. Any status earned prior to that will be honored. Any HON Circle miles earned in 2020 will be credited as QP in the ratio 200:1. Status star points earned till end of 2020 will converted to lifetime QP at a ration of 2:1.

Members with a lifetime QP of 7500 will be awarded FTL for their lifetime. If members reach 10000 lifetime QP and have been SEN for at least a cumulative 10 years they will be awarded lifetime SEN status.

Status is always valid for the year of qualification and one additional year. HON and SEN will have a 'soft landing' ie if they cannot requalify for status, they will get a year of SEN or FTL respectively.

Print Wikipost

New qualifying points system for status from 2024

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2020, 11:10 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by chris63
Same for me & nothing in junk mail either.... neither have other members of my Family, SEN .....
Neither for a lowly SEN and FTL Mrs m4l
Old Dec 11, 2020, 1:59 am

Programs: Miles&More SEN; ITA Premium, Asante Gold, IHG Platinum, BAEC Bronze, Accor Silver, Radisson Premier
I'm wondering how this affects status extensions. My wife and I typically fly the same routes (I would fly more than her), and she got her status last in 2019 (FT), I got my last status in 2018 (2019 being the dead year, though I did once again there make FT status). This year obviously neither of us made status.

This morning we checked, based on the email about the delay in the programme, how it affects our status validity. She now has validity running to Feb 2023 on her card, whereas mine still has Feb 2022. Is this correct? I don't really understand fully how it works, especially when we have different odd years. Should I also have received the extension to 2023 based on actually fulfilling qualifying requirements in 2019 (even though it was my dead year), or is there no hope for that? Or is it just far behind.

I ask as we have our honeymoons (2020 was sh**, we got married in a room with just a guy reading from Belgium's constitution with no fam or friends, so we are making 2021 the year of wedding party and many honeymoons, starting next week) throughout 2021, and the flights we've booked, through the F and J companion awards, would earn us way over the FT threshold but way below the Sen threshold - for the 2 trips booked we'd earn around and about 40,000 status miles. The award miles will be abysmal given the offer we took advantage of. So I was hoping to credit to Eurobonus, as I'd get *A Gold. But if I then lose my m&m status in feb 2022, then I'd re-think the strategy again.

Anyone know about the effect on end of status based on the above? Should I also get extended to 2023? Of course, if they had implemented the new system as planned for 2021 we'd both be close to the threshold for SEN, based on some other smaller trips in and around Europe, and potentially one more intercontinental.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 2:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChrisBub
Is this correct?
I believe it is. Your wife belongs to the half of SEN/FTL with expiry 02/21 who got a one-year extension, you belong to the other half of SEN/FTL with expiry 02/22 who didn't get an extension.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 2:57 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
It should be the other way round: if you got status in 2018, it would run until Feb 2021 - and those were extended by one year. However, those with status valid until Feb 2022 (which should be your wife if she made status in 2019) are not extended (yet).

If your status is valid until 2/2021 and you do not achieve the usual renewal, we will extend your frequent flyer level, as a gesture of our goodwill, by one year to 2/2022.
If you already requalified in 2019 or you achieve the renewal of your status by the end of 2020 by means of the normal criteria, you will naturally be given a renewal of two years until 2/2023.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 3:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Carpacchio
It should be the other way round: if you got status in 2018, it would run until Feb 2021 - and those were extended by one year. However, those with status valid until Feb 2022 (which should be your wife if she made status in 2019) are not extended (yet).
From the question it is implicit 2018 was not the initial qualification. He was FTL before and could requalify in either 2018 or 2019. This follows from him writing that 2019 was his dead year. So he had status until 02/20 which, in 2018, he extended until 02/22. Which implies he didn't receive an extension as noted in my previous post.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 3:27 am

Programs: Miles&More SEN; ITA Premium, Asante Gold, IHG Platinum, BAEC Bronze, Accor Silver, Radisson Premier
Yes, I think you're right, it's the other way around. I got status first (I've had it since around 2014 so I've lost count exactly of when it gets renewed or not), and my wife followed 3 years or so later.

So in that case, she qualified in 2019 for the two years to end in 2022, now she has had an extension to Feb 2023 based on COVID year. I got status in 2018 which would end at beginning of 2022(active status years 2019 and 2020 + the extension for COVID to Feb 2022 - I actually had already qualified in 2019 for the extension from 2021 for two years based on the 2019 activity, so actually in theory that should cover 2021 and 2022).

So is this actually just a case of the card not being updated as I already qualified in 2019? Or will they not count 2019 towards the extension of status for years 2021 and 2022? Just seems strange that her card was updated to Feb 2023 and she got an email about it, whereas I didn't get anything aside from the generic email saying that the programme changes would not be implemented as planned in 2022.

I seem to remember Oliver2002 on one of these threads making some points about when cards would be updated. So perhaps there is still time for them to update my card based on 2019 activity.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 4:26 am

Programs: LH SEN
I'm confused...
  • Qualification in 2018 obtained status for 19/20
  • Re-qualification in 2019 adds 21/22
  • 2020 was a dead year anyway.
  • You should have received the extension to Feb 2023 about a month ago based on your re-qualification in 2019
  • You get nothing from the COVID related extensions
For your wife...
  • Qualification in 2019 obtained status for 20/21
  • No re-qualification yet so status expires in Feb 2022
  • She should have also got nothing from the COVID related extensions
I think you should call them and sort out this mess..
Old Dec 12, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: LH SENATOR
Everyone that had staus expire on 02/2021 or 02/2022 should receive a status extension until 02/2023.

Hence, I am suprised nothing was mentioned to the ones who's status wil expire on 02/2022 as nextyear will be simmilar than this year.

I do feel that as of 2022 traveling should be much closer to where it was before COVID and it would be only fair to extend the status until 02/2023 that as of 2022 everyone has a fair chance to requalify again.
behuman likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 3:00 am

Indeed, I called yesterday on another matter and sorted it out. Basically, my first post was correct - I renewed in 2019 for 2020-2021 and my wife in 2018 for 2019-2020. Her status is already updated until Feb 2023, as mentioned. My status will be extended (according to M&M on phone) as well, it just hasn't happened yet.

So to close off the loop, seems like my updated card with expiry of 2023 will just be issued later than my wife's. Thanks to those who helped me understand better the way this is done.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 3:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Sure, but they are not bleeding cash because they have crappy status system...
A good loyalty programme should be generating profit right now. Selling miles to partners like newspapers, retailers, or insurances is a super-profitable business. As are other cooperations.
The speculative bookings are of no use...
Fanbois are gonna be fanbois. An MDAX company in a sector such as LHG has got to have a cost of capital of 15% or something. In light of that, how can free liquidity be of no use?

Originally Posted by supine
I'm confused...
ChrisBuB is the one confused.

The only FTL and SEN that were promised an extension are those which would have had to re-qualify in 2019 or 2020 but didn't manage to do so. That is it. Everybody who currently has an expiry date of 02/22 or 02/23 has got it due to achieving a regular extension (or regular initial qualification). Once again, the goodwill is for those only which did not manage to re-quali in either 2019 or 2020. In the M&M app, their FF card currently shows an expiry date of 02/21. The OP and his wife are NOT in that group.

The ones that are in that group will receive a one-year extension to be processed in Jan. 2021.

All FTL and SEN whose status card currently shows an expiry date of 02/22 or 02/23 do not receive any extension due to covid. This is why there are long discussions in this forum about the sub-par reaction of M&M relative to the competition. M&M is doing nothing for ~50 per cent of elites.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
Originally Posted by behuman
4 P roundtrips ex EU via FRA to N. Africa would have made too many new SEN. With a couple of thousand Euros spent each, not interesting for LH group. This new system would have massively devaluated status and will hopefully never see the day.
I know this was from a while ago... But I think this opinion misses the point.

If someone only flies 4x per year and (assuming things are available again after the pandemic) they access 4x per year a SEN lounge rather than a Business/FTL lounge at FRA/MUC, then that's hardly a huge additional expense for LH... As is sometimes said in these threads, one person can only consume so much potato salad and Mexican bean soup in one day !! At the outstation, there will probably be only one contract/flag carrier lounge anyway, so no huge expense there either... No limo or PA... So no huge cost overall... On the other hand, what LH will have done is given a big gold card to someone for relatively little flying, making them pleased and hopefully keen to fly LH more...

As is so often forgotten, FFP are from the airline's standpoint not a reward for lots of purchases... They are a motivational tool for future purchases.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by FlyerLX
If someone only flies 4x per year ....
Surely they do other flying, just not enough to qualify without the mileage runs?

Yes, you'll create incentive for loyalty to the LH group but someone flying a bunch of intra-EU economy light over the year plus 4 discount P fares is hardly going to raise the excitement levels of any accountant.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 8:16 am

Surely they do other flying, just not enough to qualify without the mileage runs?
...Well that depends on them... But if they do the other flying on LH Group, I guess they're paying more money...

Yes, you'll create incentive for loyalty to the LH group but someone flying a bunch of intra-EU economy light over the year plus 4 discount P fares is hardly going to raise the excitement levels of any accountant.
I fully agree. But surely the accountants' hope would be that the newly-minted 4x NAf SEN will then want to do other, more lucrative flying... If SEN is nice, then HON surely looks nicer... If, on the other hand, she/he wants to do exactly what you suggest, they're really not costing much either... If LH is lucky, they'll even buy something from BoB while costing very little on their intra-EU economy light trips ...

What does a lounge really cost to operate? And what does one lounge visit with "average" consumption cost? I'm guessing there's rent to Fraport / whatever airport, staff ... But my guess would be it's less in total than might be imagined... And it wouldn't surprise me to find that one trip to a SEN lounge with a shower, a Brezel and a couple of glasses of red wine adds up to a few Euros at most ...

Last edited by FlyerLX; Dec 22, 2020 at 8:56 am
Old Dec 22, 2020, 9:08 am

It's not just the cost of LH lounge usage though...

It's another person using priority lanes, adding to congestion and delays for other premium and/or status customers.

It's another ⭐️A Gold who uses non-LH lounges and the operators gladly send the bill to LH.

It's a couple of eVouchers that allow them to fly a higher class for less 💰

It all adds up...
Old Dec 22, 2020, 9:26 am

It's not just the cost of LH lounge usage though...

It's another person using priority lanes, adding to congestion and delays for other premium and/or status customers.

It's another ⭐️A Gold who uses non-LH lounges and the operators gladly send the bill to LH.

It's a couple of eVouchers that allow them to fly a higher class for less 💰

It all adds up...
Well of course what you say is undeniable... It is all "stuff" and it does add up... Still, my guess is it doesn't add up to a fortune. What do carriers bill each other for reciprocal lounge access? I bet not as much as a walk-up pax paying for lounge access... And upgrade vouchers are only for seats that would have been empty otherwise... A bit of catering on board doesn't break the bank...

Who really knows ?? I guess if LH do introduce the new structure in 2023 (I hope it won't be any later!!) and withdraw it after 3 months because it's costing too much, then we'll know for sure!

By the way- I would still be interested to know if anyone has a take on if or when the new structure will come into force. The prevalent opinion seems to be that LH do want it but just can't justify the injection of cash needed at the moment to launch it, so it's back on ice and could be reality on 01/01/2023. But I wonder if they also have cold feet about the program itself (perhaps due to the points mentioned by OPs here??) and are now going to scrap it completely...

Last edited by FlyerLX; Dec 22, 2020 at 9:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.