Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ACflyerDE
The programme will now change from 1 January 2022 (postponed again and it will not start before 2023)
https://www.miles-and-more.com/row/e...ts/update.html

All the changes are listed on the official M&M Website: https://www.miles-and-more.com/de/en...ts/update.html

Starting 2021, the system for earning status changes. From then on, status points are earned by cabin and segment flown:

Regional flights will earn 5 points in Economy and Premium Economy, 10 points in First and Business class per segment
Intercontinental flights, ie flights between two IATA regions, will earn 15 points in Economy, 20 in Premium Economy, 50 in Business and 70 in First class segments

There will be two kinds of points : qualifying points (QP): earned with M&M integrated partners (LH/EW/LX/OS/LO/OU/LG/etc) and normal points : earned with other partners like the airlines in the Star Alliance. QP can be earned on LH Airrail train segments, but are capped at 40/120/250 per year for FTL/SEN/HON.

'Frequent Traveler' (FTL, equivalent to *S) status is given to members with 160 points (of which atleast 80 need to be QP), 'Senator' (SEN, *G) to members with 480 points (of which atleast 240 need to be QP). HON Circle (HON) is awarded after reaching 1500 QP in one year.

SEN will receive two evouchers upon qualification each year, HON 4 evouchers. There will be no rollover of QP, but for members who exceed the qualification QP level, M&M will grant the following benefits:
FTL: Mileage exchange for QP at 200 qualifying points
SEN: 2 eVoucher at 700 qualifying points; 15,000 award miles at 1,000 qualifying points; Frequent Traveller partner card at 1,300 qualifying points
HON:2 eVoucher at 1,800 qualifying points; 30,000 award miles at 2,100 qualifying points; 2 eVoucher at 2,400 qualifying points; Frequent Traveller partner card at 2,700 qualifying points; Senator partner card at 3,000 qualifying points

The system of status miles, HON Circle miles, select miles, and status star points will be abolished at the end of 2020. Any status earned prior to that will be honored. Any HON Circle miles earned in 2020 will be credited as QP in the ratio 200:1. Status star points earned till end of 2020 will converted to lifetime QP at a ration of 2:1.

Members with a lifetime QP of 7500 will be awarded FTL for their lifetime. If members reach 10000 lifetime QP and have been SEN for at least a cumulative 10 years they will be awarded lifetime SEN status.

Status is always valid for the year of qualification and one additional year. HON and SEN will have a 'soft landing' ie if they cannot requalify for status, they will get a year of SEN or FTL respectively.

Print Wikipost

New qualifying points system for status from 2024

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:53 am

This is actually great news for me. I'm currently a 'multiple-Sen' with no chance of ever reaching HON, as I fly mostly intra-European Eco (+3-4 US Business flights).
Quick calculation of last two years brings me to 1270 and 1340 points - this year will be at 1410.
With the changes I have an actual chance to get to HON - which would be greatly appreciated with the time I spent at airports
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by MingFlyerTalk2019
is this the app calculator or have they rolled out a new web page calculator? thank you
New & Tunisia is listed under Africa.

Programs: LH HON**
Originally Posted by Raul_R
Must say, that I really like the new system. Even surprisingly..
And especially the special rules renewals of HON Circle Member status in the transitional period. Looks very fair.
Looking at some of my travel this year, the new allocation based on fixed QP vs the ”divided by 200”-transition:

BOM in Z: 50 QP vs 34 converted
PVG in C: 50 QP vs 62 converted
YUL in A: 70 QP vs 60 converted
JNB in A: 70 QP vs 85 converted
EU in P: 10 QP vs 5 converted
EU in Z: 10 QP vs 8 converted

So for an HON with a 2020-2021 qual window, all intra-EU segments in P or Z make you worse off in 2020 vs 2021. Eco travel in 2020 is (of course) still not qualified and F & J conversion is hit & miss case by case depending on fare or distance.
Raul_R likes this.
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by thbe
It means, that you can get Lifetime SEN without ever flying with integrated M&M carriers and starting from 2021 you can't get SEN for a year without flying integrated M&M carriers.
Correct! This also means, it doesn't matter if you just fly enough for SEN in 2020 or if you fly double that. It also means it doesn't matter if you fly integrated airlines in 2020 or not. In the light of this it will not be possible to do a lifetime status run in 2020 with very few exceptions.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:56 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
What I get is that the alphabet class system should remain in place somehow, at least to make it possible to define the accrual level on the other Star Alliance airlines.

Any clue?
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:58 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
What I get is that the alphabet class system should remain in place somehow, at least to make it possible to define the accrual level on the other Star Alliance airlines.

Any clue?
I think the accrual for status purposes will be just points based even for other Star Alliance airlines.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I think the accrual for status purposes will be just points based even for other Star Alliance airlines.
So A3 flights CAI-ATH-TLV rt in C gives 200 status points (no qualifying points though)
yurtripper likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
That would require a bigger change for all the Star Alliance charts.
Probably LH brought this already to the table of the alliance partners.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Raul_R
They published also their own continents table, ...
A special FlyerTalk 10000 point award to the first M&M pax on a *A flight to Bouvet Island (South America & Caribbean in the continents table). Population of Bouvet Island is 0 but a research station is designed to house six people for periods of two to four months (Wikipedia)
Raul_R likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
So A3 flights CAI-ATH-TLV rt in C gives 200 status points (no qualifying points though)
It would make sense.
It will be interesting how Lufthansa defines "longhaul" for its Star Alliance partner airlines.

I predict some "nasty" surprises.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
Originally Posted by warakorn
It would make sense.
It will be interesting how Lufthansa defines "longhaul" for its Star Alliance partner airlines.

I predict some "nasty" surprises.
Already publshed. The calculador considers such routes as intercontinental
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:18 am

Programs: LH SEN
I'm kind of confused about what they are trying to achieve with this.

I'll be the first to admit that I was the beneficiary of the overly generous SM earning in PE up to now (1.5 x mileage for E/G) which was higher than some discount business fare classes.

Why haven't they gone to a revenue model?

The new system has a certain simplicity, very easy to understand, but it just seems to change the way folks can game the system (i.e. it devalues F and PE, it has the binary short-haul/long-haul)
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
It allows one to achieve say SEN with very little spends and then move onto another alliance program ... don’t see how this will increase loyalty, especially those high-spenders. Confused as to what they wanted to achieve also ... ���� ...
Old Nov 12, 2019, 2:01 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LHSEN
It allows one to achieve say SEN with very little spends and then move onto another alliance program ... don’t see how this will increase loyalty, especially those high-spenders. Confused as to what they wanted to achieve also ... ���� ...
I would expect them to close the North Africa / Middle East loophole before they go live. And yes, there might be ways to game the system but overall it will reward people who fly integrated airlines. The number of people who credit to more than one *A program is very small and I don't think LH is worried about them. High spender will continue to move business the LH way in this model.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
My 2 cents. For many years many frequent flyers avoided LH due to their punish fares in economy and the famous P fare. Many of us did not register with M & M as the programme was uncompetitive. This change I believe will make some people to register with the programme and start flying more with LH. Personally if that’s the case for example TUN-FRA-YVR gets you 200 return in P I will definitely move to M & M. At the end of the day, BA has the same programme pretty much and they are quite successful. Last, let’s be honest. How many people will fly to Tunis or Cairo to keep their status? A few hundreds max. That will not affect the numbers that much. We have seen it with BA, let’s see it with LH for a change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.