Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ACflyerDE
The programme will now change from 1 January 2022 (postponed again and it will not start before 2023)
https://www.miles-and-more.com/row/e...ts/update.html

All the changes are listed on the official M&M Website: https://www.miles-and-more.com/de/en...ts/update.html

Starting 2021, the system for earning status changes. From then on, status points are earned by cabin and segment flown:

Regional flights will earn 5 points in Economy and Premium Economy, 10 points in First and Business class per segment
Intercontinental flights, ie flights between two IATA regions, will earn 15 points in Economy, 20 in Premium Economy, 50 in Business and 70 in First class segments

There will be two kinds of points : qualifying points (QP): earned with M&M integrated partners (LH/EW/LX/OS/LO/OU/LG/etc) and normal points : earned with other partners like the airlines in the Star Alliance. QP can be earned on LH Airrail train segments, but are capped at 40/120/250 per year for FTL/SEN/HON.

'Frequent Traveler' (FTL, equivalent to *S) status is given to members with 160 points (of which atleast 80 need to be QP), 'Senator' (SEN, *G) to members with 480 points (of which atleast 240 need to be QP). HON Circle (HON) is awarded after reaching 1500 QP in one year.

SEN will receive two evouchers upon qualification each year, HON 4 evouchers. There will be no rollover of QP, but for members who exceed the qualification QP level, M&M will grant the following benefits:
FTL: Mileage exchange for QP at 200 qualifying points
SEN: 2 eVoucher at 700 qualifying points; 15,000 award miles at 1,000 qualifying points; Frequent Traveller partner card at 1,300 qualifying points
HON:2 eVoucher at 1,800 qualifying points; 30,000 award miles at 2,100 qualifying points; 2 eVoucher at 2,400 qualifying points; Frequent Traveller partner card at 2,700 qualifying points; Senator partner card at 3,000 qualifying points

The system of status miles, HON Circle miles, select miles, and status star points will be abolished at the end of 2020. Any status earned prior to that will be honored. Any HON Circle miles earned in 2020 will be credited as QP in the ratio 200:1. Status star points earned till end of 2020 will converted to lifetime QP at a ration of 2:1.

Members with a lifetime QP of 7500 will be awarded FTL for their lifetime. If members reach 10000 lifetime QP and have been SEN for at least a cumulative 10 years they will be awarded lifetime SEN status.

Status is always valid for the year of qualification and one additional year. HON and SEN will have a 'soft landing' ie if they cannot requalify for status, they will get a year of SEN or FTL respectively.

Print Wikipost

New qualifying points system for status from 2024

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by sophialite
Ah, so you’re incented to do no more than 599,999 HON miles in 2020. That’s interesting and I didn’t think about that. Judging by my own travel plans and planned budget I might just hit 450k-500k HON miles next year.
Don't forget, that there could be some extra HON miles this year because of the strikes. No problem for new qualification, as only HON get that compensation in HON miles. But if 2019 isn't your dead year, then you could requalify in 2019/2020 with that extra miles.

And yes, if you can manage it, it's better to requalify in 2020/2021 than in 2019/2020 or in 2020 only. And it seems like it doesn't matter, if you requalify in 2020-January 2021 or 2020-March 2021. It seems to be a mix of old rules and new rules.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I don’t believe all Baker McKenzie or Dentons partners are all equity. Even if they don’t distinguish externally, internally you know if you’re getting profit sharing or not. As easy as that.
You still live in the 19th century. Of course everybody is Equity and shares the risk. The question is the size of the profit share. In our place everybody is EP and entitled to join the partners’ meetings and has a theoretical vote. This does however not result in equal or proportional shares or participation on the lockstep ladder. I am in this system for close to 30 years now and EP or NEP is no longer the relevant thing.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Also with firms of that size the number of 'partners' is so big that the restrictions on how many can travel on one flight is relaxed. So if you lose 30-40 McK Partners in a (very unlikely) plane crash the firm will not go under.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
You still live in the 19th century. Of course everybody is Equity and shares the risk. The question is the size of the profit share. In our place everybody is EP and entitled to join the partners’ meetings and has a theoretical vote. This does however not result in equal or proportional shares or participation on the lockstep ladder. I am in this system for close to 30 years now and EP or NEP is no longer the relevant thing.
I don't think I live in the 19th century on this point, and calling my perspective an anachronism is misguided. If anything, the belief that all partners at a law firm are profit-sharers is a 19th century model. There's a new wave of even the most prestigious law firms adopting a two-tier partnership model (see, e.g., https://www.wsj.com/articles/being-a...ad-11565362437). The reality is that NEPs are basically glorified senior associates, even if their business card says "partner," or they have a partner office or have some theoretical vote.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Also with firms of that size the number of 'partners' is so big that the restrictions on how many can travel on one flight is relaxed. So if you lose 30-40 McK Partners in a (very unlikely) plane crash the firm will not go under.
I mean, it's B&M we're talking about here, not Wachtell ;-)

But seriously, within a law firm the individuals with the most power are equity partners, and within equity partners the executive committee. I am positive most big law firms have policies not permitting equity partners or management committee partners from all flying the same flight. Outside of that, unfortunately, I don't think firms care about their associates, senior associates, or fake partners. The reality is that we/they are all just replaceable bodies. They'll mourn for a bit, but move on.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I don't think I live in the 19th century on this point, and calling my perspective an anachronism is misguided. If anything, the belief that all partners at a law firm are profit-sharers is a 19th century model. There's a new wave of even the most prestigious law firms adopting a two-tier partnership model (see, e.g., https://www.wsj.com/articles/being-a...ad-11565362437). The reality is that NEPs are basically glorified senior associates, even if their business card says "partner," or they have a partner office or have some theoretical vote.
Thanks for posting the WSJ link - I missed it the first time round (don't read much 'news' in August)
Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
You assume that an EP mandatorily have a full share in the profits. This is not the mandatory idea behind. EP means hat he/she has a share in the equity and in particular a right to vote and to attend (this was the starting point) the partners' meeting. I have been a partner in UK based international law firms for the last 25 years. In my first place, we originally differentiated between EPs and NEPs, EPs bearing the full risk and the full benefits, NEPs getting a combination or share and fix. Everybody was present at the partners' meeting, the NEP's had a full right to vote except issues only relating the EPs. In my second place we only know EP, however two types of remuneration system (or or less the same as in the first place). Everybody is invited to the partners' meeting and has a right to vote. Again: The old differentiation between EPs and NEPs is an anachronism. Today it is only about money, not about status and hopping on a plane to a partners' meeting (which is more or less a social function anyway).
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:03 am

Weird to call it an anachronism when more and more firms are adopting the distinction *shrug*
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:25 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Am I the only one who has the impression that this thread is completely off topic now?

Could we get back to the new points system, please?
chris63, vantage03, Maniak and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: Finnair Plus
Lufthansa Status Points on Star Alliance Partners from 2021

I could't find any info on this and hope to not annoy with the question but since LH has announced changes to Miles and More from 2021 on how they grant Status points, I was wondering how they handle this with Star Alliance Partners. So if I am not wrong a Business Flight will then always get 50 Points on Intercontinental with LH but how much if I fly with a Star Alliance Partner, for example ANA or United. Is it the same amount of points then? I know that half the points for Senator (480) have to be collected with LH but since I use Star Alliance Partners as well from time to time I would like to know how many Status Points this will get me from 2021.

Any help is much appreciated.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:57 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
The *A flights will count as status points, but not as qualifying points. The number of points is supposed to be the same regardless of the operating airline.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
You get the same amount of Status points on *A flights, but as you rightly note they don't count towards the half that needs to be earned on LH Group airlines.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 3:26 am

worldclubber if you have an on-topic question you're welcome to bring it up.

Flying Lawyer happy to discuss the distinction between a non-equity partner and an equity partner over private message.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or more importantly, will they continue their discriminatory stance towards TK?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by hfly
Or more importantly, will they continue their discriminatory stance towards TK?
Unfortunately not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.