FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   New qualifying points system for status from 2024 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1995035-new-qualifying-points-system-status-2024-a.html)

vantage03 Nov 11, 2019 5:06 am

This doesn't seem right as it's actually easier to attain status?

GBM.flights Nov 11, 2019 5:09 am

This is bizarre. Biggest surprise for me is not having a spend requirement and all classes earning the same. This creates a bunch of opportunities I'm pretty sure were not intended.
I think the system will never be implemented as it is printed in the Handelsblatt (but as a few have mentioned let's see the full footnotes and terms and conditions of all the "offer')

On a personal note, my FTL just increased by 113%. It went from 30 segments every 2 years to 64. And as I was crediting mostly K,L,T fares it seems in my case I'm correctly weeded out by the new system.

worldclubber Nov 11, 2019 5:10 am

Originally Posted by vantage03 (Post 31724262)
This doesn't seem right as it's actually easier to attain status?

Don‘t forget that qualification is now for one year only.

sophialite Nov 11, 2019 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Raul_R (Post 31724148)
Re-calculated my this year flights so far and got 2050 points. At least 120 points to come until end of year.

Actually new system, IF it is as described, will be cheaper to earn status...

2040 here. Still takes quite the effort. On the plus side, if you qualified for HON this year next year can be a legit dead year as HON points earned in 2020 won’t count for much unless you can do the full 600k in 12 months. I might just shop around next year, and qualify for HON again in 2021 in my final HON year under the old system.

Kid Flyer Nov 11, 2019 5:40 am

If they introduce this new system in 2021, and I habe extended my SEN status until 2022 how does it behave in this case?
Is 2021 the new system earning in place or do I start from 2022?

Dave_C Nov 11, 2019 5:50 am

Sure doing six of a DXB-FRA-MUC-BOS for €3K in P class yielding 240 tier points each can't be sustainable? If you thought HNL tier point runs on the BA forum for GGL were easy, this brings HON to a different level.

miles_collector Nov 11, 2019 5:54 am

I would like to know where they'll draw the line for short vs long-haul flights. These changes might work better for me than the previous program but that line will make the difference (provided all fares will earn the same)

denhaagflyer Nov 11, 2019 6:13 am

I very much doubt that this is the final version of the programme. Seems far too simplistic and open to all kind of arbitrage. There will probably be differences according to distance. But it seems that M&M goes down the same route of FB (which distinguishes by distance and class of service). Wonder how they will transfer past status miles into points for life-time qualification.

Jaenks Nov 11, 2019 6:15 am

FB has rollover tier points, LH has not published yet information about would it be or not.

JanoSicek Nov 11, 2019 6:25 am

Abolishing Jetfriends? What will it mean? My kids miles will suddenly expire?
I can't wait for more info on the lifetime statuses and conversion of stars into them...

warakorn Nov 11, 2019 6:30 am

Shorthaul flights will earn points:

Economy earns 5, Business earns 10 points per segment.

Longhaul flights earn:

15 in Y, 20 in PE, 50 in C, 70 in F
I think this must be a April's Day Fool. It is highly unlikely that Lufthansa will eliminate the revenue part for status accrual. This new policy opens the door to all sorts of mileage runs.

One example:
DXB-BOS roundtrip in Business Class on the cheapest booking class on LH yields 200 points (4 longhaul segments). One needs just 2 roundtrips + find another 80 points (e.g. a DXB-FRA roundtrip in C) to achieve Senator status.
I cannot believe it.

warakorn Nov 11, 2019 6:33 am

In addition:
I see that OTP-MUC-PVG roundtrip in Business Class is offered for EUR 1250.
One trip gets me (10+50+50+10=) 120 points.
So I just need 4 of such roundtrips a year.
I could make a Senator (480 points) for close to EUR 5000.

This cannot be true.

In my eyes there must be a fare class component built into the calculation.
e.g. fare class C nets 100%; but fare class P just 50% of the calculated points;

sophialite Nov 11, 2019 6:33 am

The more I think about it the more I think I like this new accrual methodology. I still despise east coast to EU flights in F because they’re too short, but at least they earn the same number of QPs as an F flight to the west coast, and I’m all for less time in the air.

vantage03 Nov 11, 2019 6:37 am

Originally Posted by sophialite (Post 31724422)
The more I think about it the more I think I like this new accrual methodology. I still despise east coast to EU flights in F because they’re too short, but at least they earn the same number of QPs as an F flight to the west coast, and I’m all for less time in the air.

Yes but unless you’re flying for a MR, which I assume you’re not.. you still gotta go where you gotta go.

I generally fly to Asia and US West Coast. West Coast F flights are more expensive than East Coast. I think we haven’t got all the details yet as it just doesn’t seem right.

airoli Nov 11, 2019 6:38 am

Guys, guys.... breathe. Slowly. Steadily.

Let's wait for the formal announcement with all the details and rules. Clearly, many things are still missing here.

We can then discuss the merits of the new system once it's officially known.