New qualifying points system for status from 2021

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 29, 19, 10:11 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: oliver2002
Wiki Link
All the changes are listed on the official M&M Website: https://www.miles-and-more.com/de/en...ts/update.html

Starting 2021, the system for earning status changes. From then on, status points are earned by cabin and segment flown:

Regional flights will earn 5 points in Economy and Premium Economy, 10 points in First and Business class per segment
Intercontinental flights, ie flights between two IATA regions, will earn 15 points in Economy, 20 in Premium Economy, 50 in Business and 70 in First class segments

There will be two kinds of points : qualifying points (QP): earned with M&M integrated partners (LH/EW/LX/OS/LO/OU/LG/etc) and normal points : earned with other partners like the airlines in the Star Alliance. QP can be earned on LH Airrail train segments, but are capped at 40/120/250 per year for FTL/SEN/HON.

'Frequent Traveler' (FTL, equivalent to *S) status is given to members with 160 points (of which atleast 80 need to be QP), 'Senator' (SEN, *G) to members with 480 points (of which atleast 240 need to be QP). HON Circle (HON) is awarded after reaching 1500 QP in one year.

SEN will receive two evouchers upon qualification each year, HON 4 evouchers. There will be no rollover of QP, but for members who exceed the qualification QP level, M&M will grant the following benefits:
FTL: Mileage exchange for QP at 200 qualifying points
SEN: 2 eVoucher at 700 qualifying points; 15,000 award miles at 1,000 qualifying points; Frequent Traveller partner card at 1,300 qualifying points
HON:2 eVoucher at 1,800 qualifying points; 30,000 award miles at 2,100 qualifying points; 2 eVoucher at 2,400 qualifying points; Frequent Traveller partner card at 2,700 qualifying points; Senator partner card at 3,000 qualifying points

The system of status miles, HON Circle miles, select miles, and status star points will be abolished at the end of 2020. Any status earned prior to that will be honored. Any HON Circle miles earned in 2020 will be credited as QP in the ratio 200:1. Status star points earned till end of 2020 will converted to lifetime QP at a ration of 2:1.

Members with a lifetime QP of 7500 will be awarded FTL for their lifetime. If members reach 10000 lifetime QP and have been SEN for at least a cumulative 10 years they will be awarded lifetime SEN status.

Status is always valid for the year of qualification and one additional year. HON and SEN will have a 'soft landing' ie if they cannot requalify for status, they will get a year of SEN or FTL respectively.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 11, 19, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by FLYGVA View Post
Me thinks, there might be some interesting aspects if your flights are within Asia or The Americas of the new program, e.g, India to Thailand / Singapore or Thailand to Bangkok.
Do we know if a flight (as an example) from IST to TLV or Bogota to Guatemala City would be intercontinental? That would make it easy if you had already enough LH group points but missing out on the total.
Old Nov 11, 19, 10:52 pm

Programs: Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Kleffen View Post
If one could get HON for 5K Euros, those FCL lounges will be packed in a couple of years.

Youíll have to splash way more than that...
British Airways coveted Concorde Room Card can be reached for the same 5,000 EUR. Still there are only about 500 people who have one.
Old Nov 11, 19, 11:30 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Originally Posted by ded0r View Post
Quick question: If I fly 15x FRA-TUN-FRA in booking class P, I will be HON in 2 weeks and with ~10k in Revenue? Something must be missing here ;-)
I guess it will be more flying 24 x FRA-TUN-FRA y year in P to become SEN, not HON.

Originally Posted by Kleffen View Post
If one could get HON for 5K Euros, those FCL lounges will be packed in a couple of years.

You’ll have to splash way more than that...
Amex Centurion is EUR 5k and gets you access to some F lounges.
Old Nov 11, 19, 11:48 pm

If this goes ahead as announced (thanks for the report, oliver2002!) HON in 2021 won't be the same HON we know today.

I wouldn't be surprised if the programme perks suffered increasing erosion while fewer and fewer LH birds get to have an F cabin.

(At the end, it would be only a matter of name swapping: as J seems to be on track to become the new F, HON would get demoted to the role of SEN.)
Old Nov 12, 19, 12:01 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH D.
Originally Posted by hfly View Post
The interesting thing here that no one has tackled is how this effects those who were on track for the current (unpublished) Lifetime SEN, as I see it there are probably a yon of people who had qualified for that in all but age (i.e. under 60, but had done the minimum 10 years SEN and 1,000,000 miles) but will now just possibly not even be Lifetime FTL's. I.E. if someone is 57, and SEN for 10 years, they have 7300 Lifetime Star points, which would be 3750 as some here are predicting it will be calculated, so only 25% there instead of :there" in 3 years time. That is a huge kick in the teeth to those who thought they had already essentially made it. Even someone who had been SEN for 20 years, would only just about squeak in at 14,600 which would convert into 7,300 for FTL.

Personally, if it is as some people think it is and it sticks this puts me many years ahead in my Lifetime aspirations.......but I think I am in teh minority.
Similar situation here.

Qualifying next year(have few flights already booked) would mean SEN up to 02/2024, few months away of being able to request LT SEN(after aprox 25y as SEN), now it will mean 2/3 years more, having to qualify every year, not happy.

pd if they track back all the data of what I have flown up to now, probably not need to obtain the 4* to obtain LT SEN

Last edited by more4less; Nov 12, 19 at 12:34 am Reason: Typo
Old Nov 12, 19, 12:15 am

Programs: LH -- HON Circle *, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, 1865 Voyager
Must say, that I really like the new system. Even surprisingly..
And especially the special rules renewals of HON Circle Member status in the transitional period. Looks very fair.
Although I understand very well why they made it.

And I do believe their calculations, that new system will almost not change number of HON-s: it will a bit lower make count of purely First Class flyers (if they will not fly more or add feeder flights) and it is not realistic that there will be a lot (50 people will not be a lot) who will make those promoted here CAI-FRA-DXB runs just for that.
Even by previous system did exist booking class C tickets with price approx 100€ each -- I did never use any of them.
As we all know, there are no more Cessna-hon's already long time.

The wise moment was, that new system in prospect of earning more points do eliminate TA as there simply is no need to them any more. Formerly, when P or Z was available, lh.com did not sell me D ticket. And for that I did need TA. Now, P and D earn the same -- comes cheaper to me and all money will go directly to airline pocket. I do not think that TA commission was big, but also 5% extra income is welcomed to any business.

Of course, first doubts coming to mind was, that there simply will not be P / Z availibility, but... as they will want to fill up the planes anyway and there is lot of another carriers, prices will meet the demand anyway. Because they do not want to fly empty planes.
Old Nov 12, 19, 12:28 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Reading the FT front page article, which directed me here for more info (hah!) it looks like they're moving to a segment-point based qualification with class of service and metal giving bonuses? Does that mean that I can get Senator/Star Gold with 96 segments with no spend or distance requirement? If it's possible to fly 96 segments for under $6,000 (So the segments would have to cost less than $62.50 each or $125 each for first class, both of which may be possible), it might be a worthwhile alternative to United's program for Star Gold benefits.
Old Nov 12, 19, 12:30 am

Programs: LH -- HON Circle *, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, 1865 Voyager
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer View Post
I guess it will be more flying 24 x FRA-TUN-FRA y year in P to become SEN, not HON.

Good luck!
The cheapest P-fare for it is 499Ä and require 2 nights in TUN.
1 roundtrip will give 100 points. For HON you will need 15. So, IF there will be availibility, it will take just about 2 months in row on routing between FRA and TUN.
By monetary meaning, yes, only 7500 EUR.
But I seriously doubt we will even recognize rise of people in F-lounges due that kind of routing exist.
Old Nov 12, 19, 12:46 am

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by diburning View Post
Reading the FT front page article, which directed me here for more info (hah!) it looks like they're moving to a segment-point based qualification with class of service and metal giving bonuses? Does that mean that I can get Senator/Star Gold with 96 segments with no spend or distance requirement? If it's possible to fly 96 segments for under $6,000 (So the segments would have to cost less than $62.50 each or $125 each for first class, both of which may be possible), it might be a worthwhile alternative to United's program for Star Gold benefits.
To get SEN , half of the 480 points need to be on LH group metal.
Old Nov 12, 19, 12:58 am

Reading through this thread and wondering if the new segment-based rules encourage less environmental-friendly travel patterns. Has anyone at M&M considered that perspective?
Old Nov 12, 19, 1:14 am

Programs: LH SEN
https://www.miles-and-more.com/ch/en...ts/update.html

It's up now.
Old Nov 12, 19, 1:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Raul_R View Post

Good luck!
The cheapest P-fare for it is 499Ä and require 2 nights in TUN.
1 roundtrip will give 100 points. For HON you will need 15. So, IF there will be availibility, it will take just about 2 months in row on routing between FRA and TUN.
By monetary meaning, yes, only 7500 EUR.
But I seriously doubt we will even recognize rise of people in F-lounges due that kind of routing exist.

Note that Tunisia is in the IATA region Europe, so you only get 10 points per segment.
Old Nov 12, 19, 1:19 am
8mh

Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
As far I can tell, this is virtually identical to the BA system. 140 tier points for a long-haul one-way in J (any fare class) with 1500 needed for BA Gold (oneworld Emerald), so 10 legs give or take. Virtually identical to BA. And BA seems happy enough with it.
It puzzles me.

BA has an uncompetitive F product but an increasingly strong J product. In that context, making F earn 1.5 times the status points as J seems somewhat reasonable.

LH group has a strong F product but a weak J product. The price differential between F and J class tends to be a bit larger than with BA.

Now, currently flying F gets you 2.6x the miles of flying discounted business (P). That wil drop down massively such that A/F earns 1.4x as much as discounted business (P). Again, BA gives 1.5x as much for F than J. LH will credit you less, even though F is more of a step up.

Another big difference is that you can fly your way to BA status flying CX F, JL F, ...

Instead, you cannot make HON by flying NH or SQ F. (For SEN, at least 50% needs to be on LH group metal. So flying predominantly TG, SQ, CA, or AC won't do.)

Given the low earnings rate of LH group F, it will not be cost-effective to status run in F anymore. Not even when taking a positioning flight to reduce the price before flying F out of FRA/MUC/ZRH.
chris63 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 19, 1:22 am

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by bobhope2 View Post
Indeed & itís clear & well, presented
Raul_R likes this.
Old Nov 12, 19, 1:23 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by SMK77 View Post
TLV-LHR-DME was your BA sweet spot. CAI-FRA-DME will be your new one.
No way FRA-DME counts as intercontinental. Geography aside, it's a 3:15 flight operated by an A320

Search this Thread
Search Engine: