FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Taking a train if missed connection? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1993755-taking-train-if-missed-connection.html)

downinit Nov 1, 2019 5:50 pm

Taking a train if missed connection?

If I miss a legal connection at FRA due to delays in the air or at the airport, do I have the option to take a train if they cannot get me to the final destination on the same day? I would not want to have the remainder of my itinerary cancelled because I skipped a leg (even if it was the airline's fault).

Often1 Nov 1, 2019 6:11 pm

Yes.

Your EC 261/2004 rebooking rights include the right to a refund of the segment. But, you do need to make certain (and then confirm by reviewing your e-ticket online) that the segment is actually cancelled and onwards/return segments preserved.

YuropFlyer Nov 2, 2019 2:35 am

Yes, but as Often1 said, before you take any action, talk with LH about it first so the ticket is correctly changed.

LondonElite Nov 2, 2019 2:47 am

It depends entirely on the situation. You do not post an itinerary so we cannot give you complete advice. If your legal, single-PNR connection from FRA is to JNB, for example, LH will not arrange for rail transport, nor refund it. If, however, it is to Bremen or Münster, then in all probability yes.

vkis Nov 2, 2019 4:27 am

You will need to ask for a "good for train voucher", in some cases you will automatically be mailed a link to a form that gets you your voucher. What you can't do however is just simply board a train with nothing but your onward connection boarding pass for the flight you missed.

Often1 Nov 2, 2019 5:26 am

Originally Posted by vkis (Post 31692826)
You will need to ask for a "good for train voucher", in some cases you will automatically be mailed a link to a form that gets you your voucher. What you can't do however is just simply board a train with nothing but your onward connection boarding pass for the flight you missed.

This is a separate issue from OP's question. OP's question is whether he has the option to take a train. The answer to that question is yes. EC 261/2004 provides that option as an absolute.

There is then the question of who pays for the ticket. That is a different matter. To be clear, there is no precedent requiring LH to rebook on any other carrier, including a train. But, it might do so as a customer service matter.

oliver2002 Nov 2, 2019 8:34 am

LH flights during irrops can only be exchanged for a train voucher if its a domestic segment. You have to inform LH that you are taking the train or else the remaining reservations will be cancelled.

downinit Nov 2, 2019 8:44 am

Thanks for the replies. This is just a hypothetical for now, but given all the horror stories about transit in FRA, I would imagine this scenario has come up quite frequently for regular LH passengers. I would hate to think that I would be stuck in FRA overnight when I could easily catch an evening train to my destination, regardless of whether I have to pay for it not.

LondonElite Nov 2, 2019 10:55 am

Originally Posted by downinit (Post 31693352)
Thanks for the replies. This is just a hypothetical for now, but given all the horror stories about transit in FRA, I would imagine this scenario has come up quite frequently for regular LH passengers. I would hate to think that I would be stuck in FRA overnight when I could easily catch an evening train to my destination, regardless of whether I have to pay for it not.

Transit is FRA is, barring exogenous events, usually a smooth process. I do it all the time. And, given the high quality of hotels in the immediate area, being stuck there is vastly preferable to many other large European airports I can think of.

Nicoolio Nov 2, 2019 11:08 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 31693739)
. And, given the high quality of hotels in the immediate area, being stuck there is vastly preferable to many other large European airports I can think of.

LHR has Hilton (T4) and Sofitel (T5) as attached hotels; There's a good Sheraton at CDG and also on property at AMS.

I think the Hilton and Sheraton at FRA are both fine, but I wouldn't say there is a vast difference -- or are you thinking about Villa Kennedy, which is quite close to FRA.

LondonElite Nov 2, 2019 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Nicoolio (Post 31693765)
LHR has Hilton (T4) and Sofitel (T5) as attached hotels; There's a good Sheraton at CDG and also on property at AMS.

I think the Hilton and Sheraton at FRA are both fine, but I wouldn't say there is a vast difference -- or are you thinking about Villa Kennedy, which is quite close to FRA.

My first point was that FRA has a large undeserved reputation for bad connections. I would certainly prefer it to CDG, AMS, or LHR, on average. The second point is that there are many good hotels in the immediate area (Sheraton, two Hiltons, Steigenberger, Hyatt to name just a few) and the centre is 15 minutes away by car if you want a nice dinner or better hotel.

Nicoolio Nov 2, 2019 11:22 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 31693772)
My first point was that FRA has a large undeserved reputation for bad connections. I would certainly prefer it to CDG, AMS, or LHR, on average. The second point is that there are many good hotels in the immediate area (Sheraton, two Hiltons, Steigenberger, Hyatt to name just a few) and the centre is 15 minutes away by car if you want a nice dinner or better hotel.

I agree on FRA's bad rep. Like the others it has plusses and minuses to the ones you mentioned. Obviously it's best traversed with some FCT love :)

In terms of area as opposed to hotels on property linked to the terminal, i agree, yes there are more better hotels around FRA and it's close to go in the city. I suppose at LHR you have Coworth Park nearby.

cfischer Nov 2, 2019 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Nicoolio (Post 31693798)
I agree on FRA's bad rep. Like the others it has plusses and minuses to the ones you mentioned. Obviously it's best traversed with some FCT love :)

Agreed, but you are essentially bypassing everything that makes FRA as bad as it is ;)