I was downgraded from business to economy on LOT flight

Old Oct 18, 19, 3:15 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Programs: aeroplan
Posts: 11
Question I was downgraded from business to economy on LOT flight

I was downgraded from business to economy on LOT flight WAW-YYZ due to overbooked flight. Flight purchased using Aeroplan points.
What are my options regarding compensation - who do I go after - Airline (LOT) or Aeroplan?
Thank you.
ihamer is offline  
Old Oct 18, 19, 3:52 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO (temp YYZ)
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 34,060
The airline.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Oct 18, 19, 4:04 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 9,560
The EU rules would apply to this situation.
canadiancow likes this.
Altaflyer is offline  
Old Oct 18, 19, 4:19 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Programs: aeroplan
Posts: 11
I am new here - what are "The EU rules" and how that applies to this case?
Thanks!
ihamer is offline  
Old Oct 18, 19, 4:23 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 90,440
Originally Posted by ihamer View Post
I am new here - what are "The EU rules" and how that applies to this case?
Thanks!
75% of the "fare" for the downgraded segment, but you paid with AC miles, so presumably LOT would pay you in cash rather than refund AC miles.

There's an extensive and very authoritative big sticky thread on EC261 rules in the BA forum, including a lot of discussion about what happens when one had paid in miles or other instruments rather than cash for the ticket.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Oct 18, 19, 4:44 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 16,276
Originally Posted by ihamer View Post
I was downgraded from business to economy on LOT flight WAW-YYZ due to overbooked flight. Flight purchased using Aeroplan points.
What are my options regarding compensation - who do I go after - Airline (LOT) or Aeroplan?
Thank you.
Originally Posted by ihamer View Post
I am new here - what are "The EU rules" and how that applies to this case?
Thanks!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
75% of the "fare" for the downgraded segment, but you paid with AC miles, so presumably LOT would pay you in cash rather than refund AC miles.

There's an extensive and very authoritative big sticky thread on EC261 rules in the BA forum, including a lot of discussion about what happens when one had paid in miles or other instruments rather than cash for the ticket.
Many forum have EC261/2004 threads

The BA thread, which tends to be more restrained-->The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

An AC thread-->Best approach for EU261 claim

But you claim against the operating airline. Ask for compensation as EC261/2004. Many airlines initially refuse/denie or offer less
LOT is covered by FT forum https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...iles-more-495/
LOT EC261 thread (has a link in post 2) Where is LOT airway form for Flight Cancellatio Regulation (EEC) No 295/91 located

What is the cost of an award, in AC ff miles, for business & economy?
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 18, 19 at 4:49 pm
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Oct 18, 19, 4:56 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Programs: aeroplan
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Many forum have EC261/2004 threads
Does EC261/2004 apply? Since this is a downgrade not one of:

1. This Regulation establishes, under the conditions specified herein, minimum rights for passengers when:

(a) they are denied boarding against their will;

(b) their flight is cancelled;

(c) their flight is delayed.
ihamer is offline  
Old Oct 18, 19, 4:58 pm
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 48,407
This has nothing to do with either AP or AC. Mods notified so that it can be moved to LO (Other European Carriers), where there are extensive discussions about how to claim for downgrades (75% of base segment fare).
Often1 is offline  
Old Oct 18, 19, 5:06 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 52,074
As this is a LOT rather than Aeroplan matter the thread has been relocated to the LOT forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada/Aeroplan forum moderator
tcook052 is offline  
Old Oct 18, 19, 5:11 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 16,276
Originally Posted by ihamer View Post
Does EC261/2004 apply? Since this is a downgrade not one of:
1. This Regulation establishes, under the conditions specified herein, minimum rights for passengers when:
(a) they are denied boarding against their will;
(b) their flight is cancelled;
(c) their flight is delayed.
Yes. Downgrades (involuntary) are covered by EC261
Were you offered/accepted anything at check-in?
nancypants likes this.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Oct 18, 19, 5:50 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: YXU
Programs: AC P25K
Posts: 634
Originally Posted by ihamer View Post
I was downgraded from business to economy on LOT flight WAW-YYZ due to overbooked flight. Flight purchased using Aeroplan points.
What are my options regarding compensation - who do I go after - Airline (LOT) or Aeroplan?
Thank you.
Did you fly on the 15-th by any chance? Was the aircraft an Euro-Atlantic 763?
WildcatYXU is offline  
Old Oct 18, 19, 7:21 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Programs: aeroplan
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Yes. Downgrades (involuntary) are covered by EC261
Were you offered/accepted anything at check-in?
They offered to put me up in a hotel and give me the same flight 24h later, which I rejected.

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU View Post
Did you fly on the 15-th by any chance? Was the aircraft an Euro-Atlantic 763?
No, it was different date...

Last edited by oliver2002; Oct 28, 19 at 7:33 am Reason: please use multiquote
ihamer is offline  
Old Oct 19, 19, 4:30 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: LEJ BRU
Posts: 1,012
So you accepted the downgrade? They offered you a.) C cabin 24h later or b.) Y cabin on your booked flight?
red star is offline  
Old Oct 19, 19, 4:34 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Programs: aeroplan
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by red star View Post
So you accepted the downgrade? They offered you a.) C cabin 24h later or b.) Y cabin on your booked flight?
I assume you mean business class by "C cabin". Yes, that is what happened. I don't see this as a choice, I had to fly that day....
ihamer is offline  
Old Oct 19, 19, 8:10 pm
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 48,407
The simple fact is that if OP was booked in Business and could not be accommodated in that cabin, he is due a refund of 75% of the base segment fare. The offer of flying 24 hours later is a red herring insofar as his question is concerned.

To be clear, there is nothing wrong with having made the offer to OP. Many people would be quite pleased with an extra day. But, that is absolutely the passenger's choice.
Mwenenzi and dav662 like this.
Often1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: