FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Demographics of LH passengers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1991823-demographics-lh-passengers.html)

oliver2002 Oct 18, 2019 6:30 am

Demographics of LH passengers

1 Attachment(s)
Researching for an update on the number of FTL/SEN/HON for the HON qualification thread I noticed that LH doesn't publish those anymore, but the stats of passengers flying Lufthansa is rather interesting (e.g. 72% of pax in C/F are >40yrs):

https://ambientmedia.lufthansa.com/?lang=en

hugolover Oct 18, 2019 7:05 am

Curious demographics. Only age? What about race, gender? Most pax I see are white middle-aged men (aka white privileged/mansplainers).

I'd imagine they'd be desperate to publish such data if they wanted to show how diverse they are. What about staff?

oliver2002 Oct 18, 2019 7:30 am

This is a website giving demographics to attract advertisers, so the data is prepared/shown with that in mind. Some displays do show gender:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b1a226778e.png
I don't think they can estimate race in such statistics? Imagine the backlash if a German company publishes customer race data?

NA-Flyer Oct 18, 2019 9:48 am

It is bad that LH doesn't attract anymore the under forties generation in their premium cabins!

That' a bad sign that so many under forties businessmen are not happy with LH current business class and its layout of 2-2-2

Honestly, myself I am less enthusiastic to fly LH business class as in the past.

Hydro88 Oct 18, 2019 10:12 am

Thanks oliver, really interesting stuff!

devdas Oct 18, 2019 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer (Post 31642009)
It is bad that LH doesn't attract anymore the under forties generation in their premium cabins!

That' a bad sign that so many under forties businessmen are not happy with LH current business class and its layout of 2-2-2

Isn't that a question of seniority and industry? With many companies moving to Frankfurt and/or Amsterdam, the train may be more convenient than flying.

mevr Oct 18, 2019 1:12 pm

It is bad that LH doesn't attract anymore the under forties generation in their premium cabins!.

Many under 40s are not yet at the top of their career and therefore can't afford the ever increasing prices of C/F. EU to US in premium cabins rates have nearly doubled from what they used to cost 2-4 years ago.

hugolover Oct 18, 2019 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by mevr (Post 31642690)
Many under 40s are not yet at the top of their career and therefore can't afford the ever increasing prices of C/F. EU to US in premium cabins rates have nearly doubled from what they used to cost 2-4 years ago.

Really? Time to switch to BArb. Her DFS sales are never-ending.

fassy Oct 18, 2019 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by mevr (Post 31642690)

I guess it is not just pricing. Lots of companies which used to fly C/F for almost all business travel removed premium travel for anyone but the Senior or Executive Management. And being in such a role usually means some decent amount of lifetime spend building a career... (or know the right people ;) )

LondonElite Oct 18, 2019 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover (Post 31641555)
Most pax I see are white middle-aged men (aka white privileged/mansplainers).

Yes, all white men are overprivileged. :rolleyes:

Pleas give me a break.

FlyerTalker324193 Oct 18, 2019 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 31641466)
but the stats of passengers flying Lufthansa is rather interesting (e.g. 72% of pax in C/F are >40yrs):

Nothing really to see here, move along.

Income and achievement in professional life typically peak when people are in their 40s or early 50s. Wealth peaks later than income.

So, on the basis of fundamental facts about people's lifecycle, it is not surprising that most C/F flyers are between 40-59. They are most likely to be able to afford it out of their own pocket, they are also likely to be in their prime career-wise.

Fabo.sk Oct 19, 2019 3:31 pm

Honestly, myself I am less enthusiastic to fly LH business class as in the past.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find people under 40 in career positions that allow them not only fly business class, but also to pick and choose who to fly with. From all the companies I have worked with so far, only one even had intercontinental travel in C, but then you still couldn't quite pick and choose your carrier (unless you became very good in manipulating the corporate booking tool) and even that company was extremely stingy with approving such travel. I think I've seen only one such case in over a year I worked there, and even then it was only because the (over 40) big boss really really didn't want to go, so the under 40 small boss went instead.

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 31643255)
Yes, all white men are overprivileged. :rolleyes:

Pleas give me a break.

Don't indulge hugolover too much. Always trying to stir something up.

Originally Posted by 8mh (Post 31643389)
Nothing really to see here, move along.

Income and achievement in professional life typically peak when people are in their 40s or early 50s. Wealth peaks later than income.

So, on the basis of fundamental facts about people's lifecycle, it is not surprising that most C/F flyers are between 40-59. They are most likely to be able to afford it out of their own pocket, they are also likely to be in their prime career-wise.

Indeed indeed. Actually I think from the people in premium cabins in LH, in the under 40s (and particularly under 30s), a much larger proportion is flying for leisure rather than business. But then a large portion of those, I figure, don't quite pay for the trips, rather it being "family money" at play.

sophialite Oct 19, 2019 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 31645931)
I think you'll be hard pressed to find people under 40 in career positions that allow them not only fly business class, but also to pick and choose who to fly with. From all the companies I have worked with so far, only one even had intercontinental travel in C, but then you still couldn't quite pick and choose your carrier (unless you became very good in manipulating the corporate booking tool) and even that company was extremely stingy with approving such travel. I think I've seen only one such case in over a year I worked there, and even then it was only because the (over 40) big boss really really didn't want to go, so the under 40 small boss went instead.

Don't indulge hugolover too much. Always trying to stir something up.

Indeed indeed. Actually I think from the people in premium cabins in LH, in the under 40s (and particularly under 30s), a much larger proportion is flying for leisure rather than business. But then a large portion of those, I figure, don't quite pay for the trips, rather it being "family money" at play.

There are more of us with Silicon Valley millions/billions traveling than you think. I certainly am not traveling with family money.

hugolover Oct 19, 2019 4:21 pm

I’m just a humble Guardian reader. Comment is free.

No need for any Hate in my direction... I appreciate your posts and insights.

sophialite Oct 19, 2019 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover (Post 31646046)
I’m just a humble Guardian reader. Comment is free.

No need for any Hate in my direction... I appreciate your posts and insights.

no hate intended :-)