Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Significant changes in 2021 for Status (re-)qualification criteria

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Concerto
You must be on those Eurowings fares bought through OTAs for about €6 from CGN to TXL. Would take a bit of running and I would rather just get there through necessary travel, which is quite easy for me. However, reaching SEN is not possible for me without a lot of extra outlay, And I really think the incremental increase in benefits is not really worth. Now, AF KL Platinum.. that's a different story!
LO fares I think. I got the FTL with a lot of back and forth in Poland, along with my "normal" travel. Probably will repeat next year, FTL is good enough help I don't need to think twice about taking LHg or LO.

I really think there is very little difference between the lounges, though. Most of the time, I would prefer to be in the FTL Business lounge. DUS airport is a particular example of that. And as SEN, you appear not to get free checked baggage on Light fares, unlike as Air France Platinum across all SkyTeam airlines. And it seems like you very rarely get op-ups, not that those exist any more these days. Certainly had a few as AF Plat. Just looking at it, it really doesn't look all that great in the end and it is never motivated me to really push the boat out and go for it.
You sure about DUS? The FTL side is a right small dump. At least SEN has daylight (and some better food).
On the other hand I very much prefer FTL over SEN in VIE.

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I believe FTL is not a status worth running for. The benefits are minimal.
The benefits, for me anyway, are substantial. Lounge access across DACH, lounge access in WAW (and now maybe BUD, though that seems to be NS only). This is important not only because of the lounges themselves, but also to be able to make use of dragons help in case of IRROPS. I used that benefit in VIE last year, faster than even *G line at the transfer desk, not to mention the regular line.
LO free bag is also helpful - often when travelling I don't know if I might end up needing to check in a bag (for reasons of liquid gift or such) and it makes it simpler for me to know that I can always get one as needed.

Originally Posted by worldclubber
^

The difference between the LH lounges would not be enough to make me get SEN. But the extra benefits of getting access to all *Gold lounges globally, the companion award, seat blocking, the eVouchers, etc. make SEN worthwhile for me. FTL is certainly helpful for pax who travel predominantly between airports with LH lounges, but of next to no value for pax who frequently go further afield.
Indeed the big difference is that *S is worthless as such, SEN is however *G, which, globally, is quite useful. SEN specific benefits like companion award, well that depends on the person I guess.

Originally Posted by Lack
I disagree. The delta experience (and savings if you take advantage of stuff as extra bags) are probably the highest between no one and FTL then the higher tiers (especially given the incremental costs).
Certainly in centralish Europe this holds quite true.

Originally Posted by sophialite
Lack of lounge access outside of LH group makes (and made) FTL a pretty solidly worthless status level for me.
Then again, if you don't just mean on LH outstations, but actually with other *A carriers, you could perhaps pursue another *G. If one only flies LHG, that can quickly become quite difficult of a task.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I really do think that the FTL lounge in Dusseldorf, which is the business class lounge, is much better than the SEN one, which I recall as being cramped and airless and without any natural light. The business lounge is an elongated space, quite well designed so it doesn't get annoying with other people milling about, with windows all the way down one side which look out over the airport.
Good point about the Vienna lounges, that's another good example.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
I really do think that the FTL lounge in Dusseldorf, which is the business class lounge, is much better than the SEN one, which I recall as being cramped and airless and without any natural light. The business lounge is an elongated space, quite well designed so it doesn't get annoying with other people milling about, with windows all the way down one side which look out over the airport.
To be honest, I have never been to the business lounge in DUS. But your description would precisely fit the SEN lounge. Sure you weren’t in the SEN lounge?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 2:01 am

To be honest, I have never been to the business lounge in DUS. But your description would precisely fit the SEN lounge. Sure you weren’t in the SEN lounge?
Layout-wise, the Business lounge in DUS is a significantly larger copy of the SEN lounge.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by curt
Layout-wise, the Business lounge in DUS is a significantly larger copy of the SEN lounge.
Thanks. Will take a look when I next get to DUS.

Hope this won't be too soon.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by thbe
This thread was moved out of another thread about HON. That is the reason why the title is about HON only. The rumours are about all M&M status levels.
LH will have to think long and hard about it. If they make SEN much more difficult, people will consider alternatives such as AF/KL.

I was amazed how many status and award miles a few flights got me on DL SkyMiles, which is only revenue based for award miles.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:17 am
Original Poster

I was amazed how many status and award miles a few flights got me on DL SkyMiles, which is only revenue based for award miles.
Personally I don‘t fly Skyteam and some of its airlines I wouldn‘t even fly with if I got pay for that. Frequently they offer status matches to Elite Plus, even for Hilton DIAs. But it can be a good choice for many others.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:03 am

Personally I don‘t fly Skyteam and some of its airlines I wouldn‘t even fly with if I got pay for that.
Yes, same here. Some are on my no-fly list. But in some areas of the world, SkyTeam is difficult to avoid. So I was forced to fly with them and was surprised how many miles I got and how well Skypriority (for Elite Plus Status holders) worked.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:26 am

My appologies, on reflection, I mixed up DUS and DRS (which seems appropriate, seeing as when I needed to hop over to DRS to start the mileage run... I managed to book a ticket to DUS thankfully, I noticed in time and fixed it.

DUS indeed is a great FTL lounge.

Personally I don‘t fly Skyteam and some of its airlines I wouldn‘t even fly with if I got pay for that. Frequently they offer status matches to Elite Plus, even for Hilton DIAs. But it can be a good choice for many others.
Well, there are also *A airlines offering a match to *G, so I fail to see the point there... but indeed, depends on the individual what works for one or another. I, for example, have no use for OW, with ST and *A being about at the same level, slight advantage for ST.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Well, there are also *A airlines offering a match to *G, so I fail to see the point there…
My point was a Elite Plus status match from a hotel status (Hilton DIA). Are there or have been there *A offers for a status match from a hotel status to *G?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:38 pm

My point was a Elite Plus status match from a hotel status (Hilton DIA). Are there or have been there *A offers for a status match from a hotel status to *G?
I think krisflyer did it with Shangri-la but I might be mistaken.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by hugolover
FTL for 240 EUR is possible. My personal value estimate is under 250 EUR.
how do you do that?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
how do you do that?
Eurowings fare sales and LOT domestic fares.
hugolover likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: LH, WoH, Bonvoy, ALL, SH-L
Originally Posted by malmostoso
I think krisflyer did it with Shangri-la but I might be mistaken.
correct, they still do. It's a challenge, though (albeit a very easy one)
worldclubber and malmostoso like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Rumors about "significant" changes for qualification have been out already last year and again earlier this year. Now the next rumours have been started for next year. Oh well...

In my mind if they change anything they may cut down the status period from 2 years to 1 year and require a re-qualification each year.

Getting the revenue per flight seems to be ultra-difficult given the many sales channels they have. PPB, the loyalty program for SMBs has that issue and that's why they are that restrictive with points given in their home countries only. While that may make sense and could be argued for SMBs, how would they ever collect all that data from worldwide sales channels.

Given the still significant issues they have with the revenue based award miles, I don't see it coming. Most people within the real frequent flyer group may not complain about wrong award miles. But when it comes to status miles the feedback for wrong credits could be a Tsunami every other day.

If there is aynthing that surprises me, it is the A fares still give 300%. Well that has been my saver to HON for the last 3 qualification periods at least. But I would not be too surprised if this changes, as it happens to be overseen when they lowered the values for the other discounted cabin classes.

Time will tell.
gru_muc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.