Wiki Posts
Search

Significant changes in 2021 for Status (re-)qualification criteria

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by sophialite

Can you elaborate? I am eager to learn more in advance of my flight next week. And the reviews don't reveal that much difference, but the reviewers themselves aren't that bright.
You will have your opportunity to improve on other reviews shortly, I thought the ground service is explained quite well, constant assistance, no having to seek out a FCL or exit
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 8mh
I am not flying at HON level myself. But I would assume the vast majority of those who do would choose the airline corresponding to the program which minimizes their time in the air and at the airport.
I’m leading a medium-sized company and I often welcome more time in the air or at the airport, especially when saving money that way. There are two main reasons:

Nobody requests a meeting when I‘m in the air or at the airport, so I can work on my own stuff or have time to think about business issues. Sometimes I just relax. Maybe I have to handle a few emergency calls, that is ok. My schedule at my office means six to nine hours in meetings.

I approve all long haul flights in my company. My colleagues would accept if there were special travelling rules for me, but I prefer to have the same rules as them. Direct flights in F are very expensive. My flights in A are often cheaper than my colleagues flights in C/D/J. And flying for less money is an unbeatable argument for flying First instead of Business.

Btw: Most HON I know are working for mid-sized companies and think more or less the same way I do about lower fares for more time in air/airport. Travelling the fastest way regardless of the money (but of course within cabin class rules) is more the corporate group way of life in my option.

Originally Posted by 8mh
You must admit, posts in the tenor "Time to draw a line? I think I've had it with program XYZ" is attention whorish, particularly if coupled with a statement of how good a customer one is. Need not be a HON, could also be an UA GS, IC RA, etc.
Well, I use to blacklist airlines and hotels. Have been EY Plat and stopped flying with them. Have been IC RA and stopped staying with them. I do that, because they‘ve changed in a very bad way and - more important - because I don‘t need to fly or stay with them. And if I‘ve talked about my decision here, I don‘t see any attention whoring in that. On the one hand I have taken the consequences as I‘ve said. On the other hand you may not believe, how much attention you get from airlines, hotels and in business, when you are top tier and a company leader. Most of them are not seeking for more attention.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
Originally Posted by thbe
I’m leading a medium-sized company and I often welcome more time in the air or at the airport, especially when saving money that way. There are two main reasons:

My 2 cents for all what you wrote as well!
Only exclusion in my case, that company I run and own is considered small and I have special travel rules for myself.
chris63, nufnuf77 and vantage03 like this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Oh, I see. You are uninformed.Ground processes for F pax at CDG are a zillion times better than anything LH/LX has to offer to its First pax.Ever tried them?
Myself I haven't tried them and I'm sure it's a brilliant experience, but:
  • The combination of LH/LX gives you more seats in F to more destinations, hence usually at a considerably cheaper rate compared to AF
  • HON Cirlce gives you the F perks when travelling in J or Y. Unless I'm mistaken, there is no such equivalent status level at AF

You can very well say they may be 'better' on certain routes to certain destinations, but in general I'd rather lay my flying eggs in the HON basket.
chris63 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Wolf
Myself I haven't tried them and I'm sure it's a brilliant experience, but:
  • The combination of LH/LX gives you more seats in F to more destinations, hence usually at a considerably cheaper rate compared to AF
  • HON Cirlce gives you the F perks when travelling in J or Y. Unless I'm mistaken, there is no such equivalent status level at AF

You can very well say they may be 'better' on certain routes to certain destinations, but in general I'd rather lay my flying eggs in the HON basket.
Very well put ^
On my main routes whist AF F can be competitive, they don’t fly all of them in F , which LX do even if LH do not anymore
The Wolf likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Whenever I’ve looked at AF F on a 777, it’s always sold out (or at least the two window seats are gone)...
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by 8mh
Why? Because they're attention whores.

You must admit ....
No, I don’t have to admit anything. I don’t think there are many attention whores here.
chris63 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by chris63
Very well put ^
On my main routes whist AF F can be competitive, they don’t fly all of them in F , which LX do even if LH do not anymore
Well I would love to know the AF F competitive pricing, because all routes i looked at that would be of interest yielded >5k base fares on AF whereas could be had at 3-3.5k on LH or BA
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Well I would love to know the AF F competitive pricing, because all routes i looked at that would be of interest yielded >5k base fares on AF whereas could be had at 3-3.5k on LH or BA
Here you go, dates I need to go to LAX in June.

MAN- LAX in F. AF want 4504 GBP, BA want 5833 GBP, LX want 12,509 GBP & LH want 12,513.

AF wins hands down.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
For reference, my trip to SIN was around 4.5k EUR on AF and 6.5k+ on LX/LH. It's funny because F fares ex-CDG are usually heavily discounted. Singapore suites ex-LHR were in the 8k range. If had decided to pony up more $$$ for the LX/LH flight, I would've ponied up even more for Singapore. There was almost no chance LX/LH was getting my money on this one after I made HON.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Also I don’t think there are many “attention whores” on this particular sub-forum. The AMEX Centurion thread is a different story. Their readiness to display screenshots of their balances and pictures of their black cards has made it exceptionally easy to discern who they are. And that’s not a good thing.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Perhaps it should be pointed out that LH (as with all airlines) doesn't give a fig about any individual customer, be they HON, GS, CK, PPS, whatever. It is a purely transactional relationship and the assessment is at that level. The same is true of Amex Centurion or Hoare's Bank. Once you are no longer a profitable customer you will soon be asked to leave or slowly put out to pasture.
chris63 and hugolover like this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:25 am
Original Poster

At least the AF FA's accent is the best in the industry and the f&b belongs to the best, you can get onboard and in the lounge. On the other hand you don't find any rubber ducks there.

But I don't think, that the AF F discussion belongs to this topic, because even if you fly AF F every week, you won't get any of the La Première experience when booking AF in C or Y. The FB Plat is comparable with SEN, definitely not with HON.
chris63 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,

Here we go. Simplicity announced for 2021
chris63, thbe and Hydro88 like this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MichielR

Here we go. Simplicity announced for 2021
That’s a relief, at least for now, will requalify during next Year under the existing rules & then time to look around
oliver2002 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.