Austrian Flight 66 (ORD-VIE) Delay Oct 8

Old Oct 8, 19, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Austrian Flight 66 (ORD-VIE) Delay Oct 8

Iím an American Airlines traveler generally but have some friends on todayís (Oct 8) OS 66 ORD-VIE continuing on to Cyprus OS 831 VIE-LCA. The flight is showing delayed 8 hours, so theyíve been rebooked onto a much later Cyprus flight.

1. Can anyone confirm the reason for the delay? I donít see any useful information about the delay on FlightAware or ExpertFlyer etc. but Iím trying to confirm itís not weather related.

2. Can anyone confirm that this delay would be subject to EU261? By my read, I think it would be and passengers would be due 600Ä each.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 8, 19, 11:18 pm

Others might have more information, but weather at ORD seems to be fine, the inbound arrived basically on time.
It looks like 261 would apply.
Old Oct 8, 19, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
It can be many things and weather at ORD is just one of them. Wait and see what happens in the next day or two in terms of information and act then. Note that it is not up to the passenger to know the reason for the delay. It is up to the airline to prove that it was exceptional.
iLied likes this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 1:30 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
The best option is for your friends to ask airline personnel. Itís a reasonable question to ask and if they know the reason they will tell your friends. It may not be 100% accurate but at least itís a start.
Old Oct 9, 19, 4:24 am

Programs: Miles & More, BA Executive Club
Iíve received compensation for a weather based delay, but this was due to being rerouted and arriving later than my scheduled arrival time.

The European Parliament has a fact sheet on EU261. Whenever a transfer is involved, it seems to void any excuse by the airline for refusing.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: