LH vs LX long-haul Y; how different is the service?

Old Sep 28, 19, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

LH vs LX long-haul Y; how different is the service?

Hi guys
Currently pricing up a couple of 2020 trips to the EU and a couple of neat itineraries use LX or LH for the leg from Singapore.
I've never flown LH or LX economy (well, not for 15+ years) so have no experience.

Looking at the kit, LH appears to fly the 359 and 748 to MUC and FRA whereas LX flies the 773 to ZRH.

Given roughly equal pricing my gut is saying 1. LH 359 2. LX 773 3. LH 748

What are other people's views? And let's say we agree the LH359 is best, what sort of price premium would be worth it?
Old Sep 29, 19, 12:25 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Sorry, but you are overthinking this. There is hardly any difference in Y. Nothing spending extra cash or compromising the ideal schedule for.
Hydro88 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 19, 12:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
The type of aircraft is far more important than the carrier in Y. Avoid any 787 and any 3-4-3 configured 777.
ermis177, ajeleonard and Unterwegs like this.
Old Sep 29, 19, 2:09 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
On Lufthansa you are guaranteed to starve; with Swiss can't be that bad.

Seriously, it's insulting how this airline can get away with such embarassing poor service in quality and quantity, yet to be regarded as a "premium" 5 stars.

A Premium Economy tray is now less than what was in Economy 15 years ago.

On a recent HKG-MUC my own snacks saved the day. Do yourself a favor OP and BYO food onboard.
Old Sep 29, 19, 3:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump View Post
On Lufthansa you are guaranteed to starve; with Swiss can't be that bad.

Seriously, it's insulting how this airline can get away with such embarassing poor service in quality and quantity, yet to be regarded as a "premium" 5 stars.

On a recent HKG-MUC my own snacks saved the day. Do yourself a favor OP and BYO food onboard.
The above is good advice for any long flight in Y.
Old Sep 29, 19, 4:14 am

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump View Post

I was just thinking the same thing about a business class meal two days ago! The sauce on the main appeared to be made of wall paper paste.
Old Sep 29, 19, 5:20 am

IMHO: 359 (3-3-3) > 748 (3-4-3) > 773 (3-4-3).

Service-wise its a wash between LH and LX, though I tend to have better experiences with LH crew that I often find more personable.

If the 359 results in a MUC connection youre likely to appreciate the ease of transfer (though I am not adverse to connecting in FRA as many on here are).

Should you find a 333/343/346 operated flight, those still have 2-4-2 in Y. I think LHs cabin here is generally in better shape than LX.
The_Bouncer and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Sep 29, 19, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by akl_traveller View Post
Hi guys
Currently pricing up a couple of 2020 trips to the EU and a couple of neat itineraries use LX or LH for the leg from Singapore.
I've never flown LH or LX economy (well, not for 15+ years) so have no experience.

Looking at the kit, LH appears to fly the 359 and 748 to MUC and FRA whereas LX flies the 773 to ZRH.

Given roughly equal pricing my gut is saying 1. LH 359 2. LX 773 3. LH 748

What are other people's views? And let's say we agree the LH359 is best, what sort of price premium would be worth it?
Ex-SIN, LH uses 359 to MUC & 388 to FRA. Not 748.
Personally, choose LH 359 to MUC as it's newer plane and fewer people - which makes a huge difference in cattle class.
Service is typical EU service. A different league to Asian carrier service standard.
Food, as others pointed out, minimal portion. Especially breakfast.
Price premium should be minimal as they belong to same group.
Old Sep 29, 19, 9:56 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Being used to Asian economy carriers (SQ TG) I cringed after booking a flight on long haul LH, but thought, like you, how bad can it be?

I took the LH FRA-SIN flight. Surprisingly, it was a very reasonable flight. Yes SQ has slightly better food, and overall has a more polished product offering, but if the price was cheaper I would fly LH again for sure. Food was good, seats good, and staff friendly.

I would liken LH to QF (or better), and better than EY, but behind SQ and TG.
Old Sep 29, 19, 10:40 am

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
A359 is the worst plane in LH fleet for Y travelers - avoid it at any cost. A388 is bad , but much more comfortable (width 18.2 vs 17")
Old Sep 29, 19, 2:04 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Gold
LH and bid for PE. Solid product and gets easily oversold. Some chances for upgrade.
Old Sep 29, 19, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SPlDER View Post
A359 is the worst plane in LH fleet for Y travelers - avoid it at any cost. A388 is bad , but much more comfortable (width 18.2 vs 17")
Cheers for this. Had seen a couple of reviews mention the 359 had a small seat but there was a bit of conflicting information!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: