LH vs LX long-haul Y; how different is the service?

Old Sep 28, 19, 9:16 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 155
LH vs LX long-haul Y; how different is the service?

Hi guys
Currently pricing up a couple of 2020 trips to the EU and a couple of neat itineraries use LX or LH for the leg from Singapore.
I've never flown LH or LX economy (well, not for 15+ years) so have no experience.

Looking at the kit, LH appears to fly the 359 and 748 to MUC and FRA whereas LX flies the 773 to ZRH.

Given roughly equal pricing my gut is saying 1. LH 359 2. LX 773 3. LH 748

What are other people's views? And let's say we agree the LH359 is best, what sort of price premium would be worth it?
akl_traveller is offline  
Old Sep 29, 19, 12:25 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Posts: 6,463
Sorry, but you are overthinking this. There is hardly any difference in Y. Nothing spending extra cash or compromising the ideal schedule for.
Hydro88 likes this.
SK AAR is online now  
Old Sep 29, 19, 12:30 am
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bregenz, Austria
Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Posts: 2,950
The type of aircraft is far more important than the carrier in Y. Avoid any 787 and any 3-4-3 configured 777.
ermis177, ajeleonard and Unterwegs like this.
The_Bouncer is offline  
Old Sep 29, 19, 2:09 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NAP
Programs: LH, BA, TK
Posts: 2,390
On Lufthansa you are guaranteed to starve; with Swiss can't be that bad.

Seriously, it's insulting how this airline can get away with such embarassing poor service in quality and quantity, yet to be regarded as a "premium" 5 stars.

A Premium Economy tray is now less than what was in Economy 15 years ago.

On a recent HKG-MUC my own snacks saved the day. Do yourself a favor OP and BYO food onboard.
Forrest Bump is offline  
Old Sep 29, 19, 3:08 am
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bregenz, Austria
Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Posts: 2,950
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump View Post
On Lufthansa you are guaranteed to starve; with Swiss can't be that bad.

Seriously, it's insulting how this airline can get away with such embarassing poor service in quality and quantity, yet to be regarded as a "premium" 5 stars.

A Premium Economy tray is now less than what was in Economy 15 years ago.

On a recent HKG-MUC my own snacks saved the day. Do yourself a favor OP and BYO food onboard.
The above is good advice for any long flight in Y.
The_Bouncer is offline  
Old Sep 29, 19, 4:14 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, UK.
Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Posts: 1,344
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump View Post

A Premium Economy tray is now less than what was in Economy 15 years ago.
.
I was just thinking the same thing about a business class meal two days ago! The sauce on the main appeared to be made of wall paper paste.
lhrpete is offline  
Old Sep 29, 19, 5:20 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 253
IMHO: 359 (3-3-3) > 748 (3-4-3) > 773 (3-4-3).

Service-wise its a wash between LH and LX, though I tend to have better experiences with LH crew that I often find more personable.

If the 359 results in a MUC connection youre likely to appreciate the ease of transfer (though I am not adverse to connecting in FRA as many on here are).

Should you find a 333/343/346 operated flight, those still have 2-4-2 in Y. I think LHs cabin here is generally in better shape than LX.
The_Bouncer and Maestro Ramen like this.
sw1x is offline  
Old Sep 29, 19, 8:01 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 422
Originally Posted by akl_traveller View Post
Hi guys
Currently pricing up a couple of 2020 trips to the EU and a couple of neat itineraries use LX or LH for the leg from Singapore.
I've never flown LH or LX economy (well, not for 15+ years) so have no experience.

Looking at the kit, LH appears to fly the 359 and 748 to MUC and FRA whereas LX flies the 773 to ZRH.

Given roughly equal pricing my gut is saying 1. LH 359 2. LX 773 3. LH 748

What are other people's views? And let's say we agree the LH359 is best, what sort of price premium would be worth it?
Ex-SIN, LH uses 359 to MUC & 388 to FRA. Not 748.
Personally, choose LH 359 to MUC as it's newer plane and fewer people - which makes a huge difference in cattle class.
Service is typical EU service. A different league to Asian carrier service standard.
Food, as others pointed out, minimal portion. Especially breakfast.
Price premium should be minimal as they belong to same group.
terbangalways is offline  
Old Sep 29, 19, 9:56 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Posts: 294
Being used to Asian economy carriers (SQ TG) I cringed after booking a flight on long haul LH, but thought, like you, how bad can it be?

I took the LH FRA-SIN flight. Surprisingly, it was a very reasonable flight. Yes SQ has slightly better food, and overall has a more polished product offering, but if the price was cheaper I would fly LH again for sure. Food was good, seats good, and staff friendly.

I would liken LH to QF (or better), and better than EY, but behind SQ and TG.
davidj1 is offline  
Old Sep 29, 19, 10:40 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: POZ
Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 253
A359 is the worst plane in LH fleet for Y travelers - avoid it at any cost. A388 is bad , but much more comfortable (width 18.2 vs 17")
SPlDER is offline  
Old Sep 29, 19, 2:04 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: A3*G,BA Gold
Posts: 859
LH and bid for PE. Solid product and gets easily oversold. Some chances for upgrade.
ermis177 is online now  
Old Sep 29, 19, 6:53 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 155
Originally Posted by SPlDER View Post
A359 is the worst plane in LH fleet for Y travelers - avoid it at any cost. A388 is bad , but much more comfortable (width 18.2 vs 17")
Cheers for this. Had seen a couple of reviews mention the 359 had a small seat but there was a bit of conflicting information!
akl_traveller is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: