Seat Selection when flying different airline

Old Sep 16, 19, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Seat Selection when flying different airline

I've booked a flight with LH, but with part of the ticket being on South African Airlines. Both airlines are slopping shoulders on the seat booking and saying I need to reserve seats with the other carrier for the long haul section from MUC - JNB. I suspect not, but is there any way to get a seat reservation before 24hours? I wouldn't mind too much (other than my usual OCD about getting the best seat), however I'm flying with my partner. We had to make a separate booking as I wanted to get a more expensive ticket so that I get *A gold (T vs L). It would obviously be great to sit next to her on the long flight. Or failign this is there anyway to merge the tickets?

On another note, not that it matters for this trip, but If I book a ticket through LH in T class do I get points from an LH ticket or points from the airline I fly? For this flight it's ok as Asiana gives T 50% on SAA and LH. But if this differs what do you get?
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:56 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
You need to contact SAA for seat assignments - it is their flight. Anyway, just do OLCI at 24h before depart. and select two seats next to each other. Shouldn't be an issue at all. Even if it fails the last resort will be to ask the pax next to you to swap seats with your partner (or ask the pax next to your partner to swap with you) - usually pax don't mind in particular if you offer a someone in a middle seat your aisle or window seat .

To merge the tickets is not possible.

Within Star Alliance it is always the operating carrier that determines the FFP earning - the ticket issuer is irrelevant. So you need to look up the Asiana FFP earnings for flights with SAA. Hopefully, your LH T class corresponds to SAA T class and not some other non-/low earning SAA booking class (I don't know this, but most likely it will but there is no guarantee).

Last edited by SK AAR; Sep 16, 19 at 5:08 am
Old Sep 16, 19, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
You need to contact SAA for seat assignments - it is their flight. Anyway, just do OLCI at 24h before depart. and select two seats next to each other. Shouldn't be an issue at all. Even if it fails the last resort will be onboard to ask your or your partner's seat neighbor to swap seats with you or your partner - usually it works without too much hassle.

To merge the tickets is not possible.

Within Star Alliance it is always the operating carrier that determines the FFP earning - the ticket issuer is irrelevant. So you need to look up the Asiana FFP earnings for flights with SAA. Hopefully, your LH T class corresponds to SAA T class and not some other non-/low earning SAA booking class (I don't know this, but most likely it will but there is no guarantee).
Thanks for the response. I suspected as much, I guess I'll just have to wait until 24hours before.

Ah that's useful to know. In this case T class is the same earning for LH and SAA.
Old Sep 16, 19, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by biertje View Post

Ah that's useful to know. In this case T class is the same earning for LH and SAA.
Sure, the earning with OZ FFP is the same, but the issue is that you don't know if you are in fact in SAA T class if you are on a LH codeshare flight. Is your flight MUC-JNB booked as SA 265 or LH 9542? If the latter you are on LH codeshare flight and you don't know the SAA booking class - it may not be T class but some other booking class of SAA (as stated above you need to know the SAA booking class rather than the LH booking class to determine the FFP earnings)
Old Sep 16, 19, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Sure, the earning with OZ FFP is the same, but the issue is that you don't know if you are in fact in SAA T class if you are on a LH codeshare flight. Is your flight MUC-JNB booked as SA 265 or LH 9542? If the latter you are on LH codeshare flight and you don't know the SAA booking class - it may not be T class but some other booking class of SAA (as stated above you need to know the SAA booking class rather than the LH booking class to determine the FFP earnings)
Ah yes good point, I hadn't actually thought of that. It comes under the LH9542. That would be extremely frustrating if so as I only booked these particular flights to get my *A gold.
Old Sep 16, 19, 5:40 am

OK - then you need to research if LH codeshare T class maps into SAA T class when operated by SAA. I think it does, but I'm not sure/I have no experience when operated by SAA. The problem is that unless someone in here is actually able to confirm that LH T class operated by SAA maps into SAA T class, you will only know it after the miles/points have been credited (and it is too late). This is one of the main issues when travelling on codeshare flights within Star Alliance.
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Yes that is frustrating, I find the whole *A system much more annoying than what I get when I use my BA exec club. I will try and find out, although not sure what I can do if the class is different.
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:27 am
Original Poster

I just phoned up SAA and they confimed V fare so that also matches across the same as T which is a relief. Strangely I am now able to book my seat, however my partner isn't. This is due to different fare class apparantly. I suspect that as I only jsut put my OZ FF# in that it has now opened up the option.
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by biertje View Post
Thanks. Yes that is frustrating, I find the whole *A system much more annoying than what I get when I use my BA exec club.
Yes, this is one of the significant differences between Star Alliance and OW/Avios.

I'm glad it turned out that you were indeed in a SAA booking class acceptable to you.

I have no idea why suddenly you are able to select a seat. Anyway, safe travels and enjoy SA!
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your assistance on this, greatly appreciated. I have never been able to fully get my head around *A anyway.

Search this Thread