Info about Lufthansa and Munich airport alternative in case of strike

Old Sep 14, 19, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Info about Lufthansa and Munich airport alternative in case of strike

Looking at options for getting home from Cyprus (either PFO or LCA) on 2nd Oct in case of strikes, want to be prepared for when/if I have to call BA. Found a flight with Lufthansa from LCA via Munich back to LHR which would do instead of using a LCC in Economy. The layover at Munich is 1 hour 30 mins, is this enough for a connecting flight there, I've got no idea about terminals, how many there are, does it involve moving between them etc so any advice greatly appreciated. Any other airlines to suggest looking at in case no availability on Lufthansa? Finding out info now rather than trying to do it on holiday in Cyprus with dodgy wifi! Many thanks.
Old Sep 14, 19, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There is a connection guide thread for MUC on the LH board Connecting in Munich [MUC]

You would arrive and depart from T2.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 14, 19, 6:53 am

Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
Originally Posted by paulaf View Post
Looking at options for getting home from Cyprus (either PFO or LCA) on 2nd Oct in case of strikes, want to be prepared for when/if I have to call BA. Found a flight with Lufthansa from LCA via Munich back to LHR which would do instead of using a LCC in Economy. The layover at Munich is 1 hour 30 mins, is this enough for a connecting flight there, I've got no idea about terminals, how many there are, does it involve moving between them etc so any advice greatly appreciated. Any other airlines to suggest looking at in case no availability on Lufthansa? Finding out info now rather than trying to do it on holiday in Cyprus with dodgy wifi! Many thanks.
If they’re selling you a single ticket it will meet minimum connection time
Old Sep 14, 19, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle View Post
If they’re selling you a single ticket it will meet minimum connection time
Yes it is a single ticket but what is the MCT? There are several lounges i see at Munich which would we use arriving from Cyprus which i think is non Schengen like the UK?
Old Sep 14, 19, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Yes it is a single ticket but what is the MCT? There are several lounges i see at Munich which would we use arriving from Cyprus which i think is non Schengen like the UK?
The non Schengen lounge is after security, then look to the left and there is a small lift to take you up. It is a great lounge. Showers upstairs, foodwise, some is good and some terrible. The worst scrambled eggs on the planet. Nice wine though.

If you need to leave and then go through security (I'm not sure) then there is a long passport queue. If in club then you get priority but you need to say at the barrier. If not, and it is busy, don't go in the middle queue, go in the queue on the left. It goes much faster.

My office is 3 stops on the S1 so thought there a reasonable amount.
Old Sep 14, 19, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Yes it is a single ticket but what is the MCT?
I don't understand why it matters, because you have the time that you have, whatever the MCT is; you know that the time satisfies the MCT; and on most days with a 90-minute connection there's a backup MUC-LHR flight a couple of hours later.

But if you really, really, must know, I think you'll find it's 0:40.
Old Sep 14, 19, 9:30 am

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Ummm... if you are worried about not having enough time to connect, then why would you be worrying about visiting lounges?

Regards
UKtravelbear likes this.
Old Sep 14, 19, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks all, useful to know MCT so I know what slack there probably is gives me some comfort as I have only ever done one connecting flight before and that was at Madrid and we seemed to do a lot of walking, and I asked about lounges as we should have time to use it, in order to know which one to head for quickly.
Old Sep 14, 19, 10:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
This thread was originally posted in BA forum but has been moved here as the question is more relevant here.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
Old Sep 15, 19, 12:02 am

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Thanks all, useful to know MCT so I know what slack there probably is gives me some comfort as I have only ever done one connecting flight before and that was at Madrid and we seemed to do a lot of walking, and I asked about lounges as we should have time to use it, in order to know which one to head for quickly.
MUC is one of the easiest airports for transfers, from Cyprus to U.K. which are both non Schengen you will not have to do security or passport control, you may need to transfer from Satellite to Main terminal via the underground train but that’s just 5 minutes, if your lucky you won’t even need to do that.
ChrisBub likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:59 am

How long ago is it since you sampled Helga’s scrambled eggs? They’re not bad at all and definitely not scrambled. The HBK in the SEN lounges is quite good now.
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:39 am

Programs: EBD , FBG
Does anyone know approximate probability of whether there will be Lufthansa strikes in October?

i have a flight from Cph to Fra, and the Fra to Icn in middle of October...

it it seems like they always strike in these airports in the fall. Although they probably have good reasons, it’s kind of scary to plan trips that are vulnerable to changes.

Search this Thread