Connecting in ICN: Separate Segments and Checked Luggage

Old Sep 12, 19, 10:32 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 11
Connecting in ICN: Separate Segments and Checked Luggage

I'll be flying from WAW->ICN on LOT and ICN->NRT on Asiana 6.5 hours later.

Question: I'll have checked luggages which I'll try to check through directly to NRT, but since the tickets are on a different segment ("separate segment" means that you bought the tickets separately, right? I bought the LOT ticket from their website and the Asiana one from a tour company), will they let me? You would think they can because they're both Star Alliance members and they both arrive/depart from the same terminal in ICN.

In the case that my luggages won't go directly to NRT and I have to pick them up at baggage claim, do I have to claim anything to customs since I'll be checking the luggage right away? I'll be doing a lot of shopping in Europe and I don't want to have anything confiscated and/or taxed for something that I won't be using in Korea.

Korean custom is more strict than that of Japan, at least on paper. I can deal with picking up my bags and going through immigration and customs and checking in again, but getting taxed on stuff I buy in Europe, or at worst, getting it confiscated is horrible. I'm better off buying nothing to begin with.

Thank you all in advance.
AirMika is offline  
Old Sep 12, 19, 11:28 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 3,745
Shouldn’t be any problem through checking LO to Asiana on separate tickets.

If your bags are not checked through, just have a printout of your ticket & proceed to the Asiana check in desk, no need to declare something that you are genuinely not taking into S Korea.
chris63 is offline  
Old Sep 13, 19, 2:56 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
If your bags are not checked through, just have a printout of your ticket & proceed to the Asiana check in desk
This check in desk is located where? It has to be in the same room in the baggage claim area, otherwise you'd have to go through customs to go to the departure area.

I thought about this and I feel like there were booths for airlines in the baggage claim area in some airports. I never used it, so I don't know. It's a hunch. Have you used it yourself?

Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
Shouldn’t be any problem through checking LO to Asiana on separate tickets.
I was able to get a hold of a LOT rep on the phone after I posted and he said that if I'm booked on a separate segment, I'd have to pick up my bag. My feeling from that rep is that he just repeated the rules-which is what he's suppose to do so it's not a knock on him-instead of telling me what's likely to happen in real life.

From what I can gather on this forum from threads similar to mine, if the agent at check-in knows what he's doing, he'll make the luggage go to my final destination.
AirMika is offline  
Old Sep 13, 19, 4:44 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manchester, UK
Programs: BA Bronze, BD Blue :(, Le Club Accorhotels Silver, AF/NH Pleb
Posts: 1,444
Originally Posted by AirMika View Post
I'll be flying from WAW->ICN on LOT and ICN->NRT on Asiana 6.5 hours later.

Question: I'll have checked luggages which I'll try to check through directly to NRT, but since the tickets are on a different segment ("separate segment" means that you bought the tickets separately, right? I bought the LOT ticket from their website and the Asiana one from a tour company), will they let me? You would think they can because they're both Star Alliance members and they both arrive/depart from the same terminal in ICN.

In the case that my luggages won't go directly to NRT and I have to pick them up at baggage claim, do I have to claim anything to customs since I'll be checking the luggage right away? I'll be doing a lot of shopping in Europe and I don't want to have anything confiscated and/or taxed for something that I won't be using in Korea.

Korean custom is more strict than that of Japan, at least on paper. I can deal with picking up my bags and going through immigration and customs and checking in again, but getting taxed on stuff I buy in Europe, or at worst, getting it confiscated is horrible. I'm better off buying nothing to begin with.

Thank you all in advance.
Obviously, value is key but they don't seem to bother even collecting low value declarations. I declared stuff that would've added up to about 30,000 won in duty. I was just waved through after handing the form over.Hotel Reviews
sigma421 is offline  
Old Sep 13, 19, 5:54 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 3,745
Originally Posted by AirMika View Post
This check in desk is located where? It has to be in the same room in the baggage claim area, otherwise you'd have to go through customs to go to the departure area.

I thought about this and I feel like there were booths for airlines in the baggage claim area in some airports. I never used it, so I don't know. It's a hunch. Have you used it yourself?



I was able to get a hold of a LOT rep on the phone after I posted and he said that if I'm booked on a separate segment, I'd have to pick up my bag. My feeling from that rep is that he just repeated the rules-which is what he's suppose to do so it's not a knock on him-instead of telling me what's likely to happen in real life.

From what I can gather on this forum from threads similar to mine, if the agent at check-in knows what he's doing, he'll make the luggage go to my final destination.
I have never had a problem through checking with *A & I’m sure you won’t.

For customs you must declare only those items remaining in or being consumed in the Country of arrival, armed with a ticket departing in the next few hours & stating your going directly to the check in desk, there should be no issues.
chris63 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread