FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Non functioning APU on A380 [in SIN] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1985696-non-functioning-apu-a380-sin.html)

chris63 Sep 3, 2019 2:44 am

Non functioning APU on A380 [in SIN]

Last nights LH779 operated by DAI-MF ‘Zurich’ , A380, the APU was not working & apparently it left FRA the night before in the same condition.
Upon boarding it was hotter than Hell, and we had to wait for 50 minutes until pushback & the engines were started to get any relief, it was bad in F but apparently in Y & J much worse with some pax in distress.

Very poor management to board pax so early given the circumstances !

The Pilot then had the nerve to blame Changi airport that their supplied air conditioning was not good.... since when were they responsible for LH maintenance failings.....

Not LH’s finest hour !

nancypants Sep 3, 2019 2:48 am

APU is obviously MELable on LH (which doesn’t surprise me)

choose your poison- both flights severely delayed and/or cancelled, or climate control issues at boarding

hugolover Sep 3, 2019 2:56 am

I guess Herr Kapitän meant that those a/c tubes they connect to the aircraft weren't very good which is quite a curious thing in an airport like SIN. I'd imagine you wouldn't want to sit on stand and use an APU if you can avoid it- it burns fuel and we know how much Helga is committed to the climate emergency.

SK AAR Sep 3, 2019 2:57 am

Yeah, I suppose pax onboard would be a lot more angry if the flight was cancelled due to the cabin being to hot!

I'm sure you all survived and tomorrow it will be forgotten.

chris63 Sep 3, 2019 3:01 am

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31484757)

choose your poison- both flights severely delayed and/or cancelled, or climate control issues at boarding

The Captain told F pax that APU was not necessary, he ought to try telling that to Cpt Sullenberger of US1549 .... & it didn’t go down with pax about to faint from the heat

worldclubber Sep 3, 2019 3:06 am

Originally Posted by hugolover (Post 31484770)
I guess Herr Kapitän meant that those a/c tubes they connect to the aircraft weren't very good which is quite a curious thing in an airport like SIN. I'd imagine you wouldn't want to sit on stand and use an APU if you can avoid it- it burns fuel and we know how much Helga is committed to the climate emergency.

Some airports would not even allow to use the APU on the ground, allegedly for environmental reasons, when they provide ground a/c, power etc. services.

chris63 Sep 3, 2019 3:08 am

Originally Posted by hugolover (Post 31484770)

Oh, yes he was blaming it all on those tubes at SIN, presumably APU is always required on an A380, that the aircraft left FRA without it functioning is poor & 8 hrs on the ground they either couldn’t fix it or LH didn’t want to pay for the repair bill at Changi...

worldclubber Sep 3, 2019 3:09 am

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31484757)

Depends on the aircraft type (two- or four-holer) and route (i.e. max distance from nearest alternative).

chris63 Sep 3, 2019 3:11 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 31484774)
Yeah, I suppose pax onboard would be a lot more angry if the flight was cancelled due to the cabin being to hot!

I'm sure you all survived and tomorrow it will be forgotten.

Some would, some wouldn’t but it was extremely hot & that can be dangerous to some vulnerable people, that’s a safety risk, 50 minutes in those conditions was too long.

hugolover Sep 3, 2019 3:13 am

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 31484802)

Oh, yes he was blaming it all on those tubes at SIN, presumably APU is always required on an A380, that the aircraft left FRA without it functioning is poor & 8 hrs on the ground they either couldn’t fix it or LH didn’t want to pay for the repair bill at Changi...

Don't worry. Her latest SIN sale will mean her coffers are full for any future issues!

If there's no fed A/C then they use the GPU also right which feeds the onboard A/ C power? I mean, in Europe thats mostly what you see? Or is that only working on SH aircraft because the GPU can't supply enough leccy?

oliver2002 Sep 3, 2019 3:15 am

Also most airports don't allow you to run the APU while parked. My guess is that all widebodies in SIN are hooked up to the terminal/jetway aircon while at the gate... if the APU was already inop while leaving FRA Changi should/would have provided a GPU at the stand?

See page 35 onwards in the SIN GOSM: https://www.changiairport.com/conten...f-use/GOSM.pdf

skywardhunter Sep 3, 2019 3:20 am

APU is rarely used for air conditioning on stand and often only powered up shortly before push-back to bridge the power gap until engines are started. It's not a critical item that is required and aircraft can fly without it

worldclubber Sep 3, 2019 3:22 am

Originally Posted by hugolover (Post 31484808)
Don't worry. Her latest SIN sale will mean her coffers are full for any future issues!

If there's no fed A/C then they use the GPU also right which feeds the onboard A/ C power? I mean, in Europe thats mostly what you see? Or is that only working on SH aircraft because the GPU can't supply enough leccy?

No, the GPU is usually for basic functions only. Cool air is supplied through tubes, often from mobile ACUs.

chris63 Sep 3, 2019 3:25 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 31484811)
Also most airports don't allow you to run the APU while parked. My guess is that all widebodies in SIN are hooked up to the terminal/jetway aircon while at the gate... if the APU was already inop while leaving FRA Changi should/would have provided a GPU at the stand?

See page 35 onwards in the SIN GOSM: https://www.changiairport.com/conten...f-use/GOSM.pdf

Interesting, something clearly went wrong, apart from the APU being inoperable but trying to parboil pax for 50 minutes was not sensible IMO

nancypants Sep 3, 2019 3:25 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber (Post 31484803)
Depends on the aircraft type (two- or four-holer) and route (i.e. max distance from nearest alternative).

indeed it’s required for etops (those with 3 or more engines not being subject to stops), but SIN-FRA or whatever is not an etops route

presumably any planes without working APUs are therefore more likely to be routed to locations like SIN as otherwise an etops route would be cancelled. Although this being an a380 it wouldn’t apply anyway (my brain fart here)

all in all I don’t think this is something to get excited about

i’m willing to guess the 50 minute ground delay was a slot restriction thing which is also not really LHs fault

sully wouldnt have had problems with a double engine failure if he had 4 engines so i’m not sure the fact he used the apu is really relevant to the discussion here