What is the right timing to book an award flight

Old Sep 3, 19, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum & Gold for life, M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum,
What is the right timing to book an award flight

As I tend to miss out on the Business Class seats when I try to book an award flight, I was planning to book my flights for the Belgian Eastern break already.

The idea is to go to Singapore with a familie of 4 for 2 weeks early April. But when checking on the m&m website, only economy seats are available for the entire month of April. Are the business class seats yet to be released, is it too early to book or what's going on?
The last 3 times I tries to use my miles for an award business class flight, I failed. And I am always quite flexible...

What is the right time to book an award flight? How many months up-front, min. - max.

Also, it seems that just Swiss, Turkish and Lufthansa are regularly offering business class seats, all other airlines are not showing up in the list. Tried the Eurowings website for a flight to BKK, didn't find a seat for an entire year.
Old Sep 3, 19, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finding 4 business class award seats on the same flight will always be hard.
If you look for 1 business class award seat what does it show?
trooper likes this.
Old Sep 3, 19, 3:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Call the SEN line and ask to be put on the WL now. Unless you WL for spring break flights there is no chance to get seats to SIN or other popular vacation destinations. If they are still selling C tickets in D or below, the WL will clear without any surcharges.
Remcod likes this.
Old Sep 3, 19, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Call the SEN line and ask to be put on the WL now. Unless you WL for spring break flights there is no chance to get seats to SIN or other popular vacation destinations. If they are still selling C tickets in D or below, the WL will clear without any surcharges.
So, you advice to get on the waitlist right away for 4 persons? How long till they confirm my seats usually?

It is not impossible to book 4 award seats in business during summer holidays. We managed to do it twice, but it requires a lot of searching and flexibility.
With Skyteam it is a lot easier and I have difficulty to accept this strategy from star alliance, after all we are all their most loyal customers, but they leave us with a bunch of frustration when you actually try to use what you earned.
Old Sep 3, 19, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Remcod View Post
So, you advice to get on the waitlist right away for 4 persons? How long till they confirm my seats usually?
Its one of the benefits of being a senator. You call the SEN line and they will request seats for you. Most of the times the request comes back confiirmed immediately.
Old Sep 3, 19, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Its one of the benefits of being a senator. You call the SEN line and they will request seats for you. Most of the times the request comes back confiirmed immediately.
That's a nice hack I wasn't aware of, thanks for that!
So, if I understand you correctly as long as there are still seats in business class for sale at lower prices, you can probably book them with award miles even if you can't book it on the website?
Old Sep 3, 19, 7:20 am

Yes, Senators can ask to be given award space (on Lufthansa or SN) as they still sell business tickets in D/Z/P and economy tickets in B or lower. I book our awards for the holidays that way most of the time. See some experiences posted here: Please post your award booking experience in C and F
Old Sep 3, 19, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Yes, Senators can ask to be given award space (on Lufthansa or SN) as they still sell business tickets in D/Z/P and economy tickets in B or lower. I book our awards for the holidays that way most of the time. See some experiences posted here: Please post your award booking experience in C and F
thanks, very much appreciated!
Now will try to use this trick, will share my results later
Old Sep 9, 19, 10:39 am

Programs: LH Sen, Hilton Diamond
If you call the Belgian Senator desk on +32 2 723 24 30 they are usually very helpful. They will call you back if they ask you to input your phone number.
Avoid the call centres outside Europe if you get transferred there as they seem only able to deal with simple requests.

Search this Thread