Passport control required at MUC?

Old Aug 30, 19, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Passport control required at MUC?

I have a LH flight from Bari to Washington D.C connecting through MUC at terminal 2. Long story short: I've decided I want to visit Madrid (MAD) for a few more days so my plan is to take the first leg of my original flight from Bari to MUC and then book a local flight from MUC to MAD. My question is: will I have to go through customs control on arrival at MUC since my next flight on the original ticket departs out of the Schengen area? I'm not familiar with MUC airport so not sure if we will be arriving at a gate that requires going through customs since next flight on the itinerary is international. I plan to book an LH flight to MAD departing from the same terminal.
Old Aug 30, 19, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by jjay View Post
My question is: will I have to go through customs control on arrival at MUC since my next flight on the original ticket departs out of the Schengen area?
Yes, you need to clear Schengen Immingration / Passport Control and technically also customs. But you won't notice the customs part unless you have checked bags and didn't manage to get them routed all the way to MAD.

EDIT:// forget what I said.... I some how read Bali instead of Bari. Traveling within Schengen, no passport control or customs
scottishpoet likes this.

Last edited by fassy; Sep 2, 19 at 5:13 am Reason: Misread Bari for Bali...
Old Aug 30, 19, 8:17 am

I believe Bari, Munich and Madrid are all in Schengen.
No passport control then. Nobody will care what your ticket says, just where you actually go to.

If you have a connection (and not a stopover) in MUC and luggage you need to make sure that your luggage is not checked thru to your final destination.

How do you plan to continue? If you have a connection to DC and miss your flight to DC you will loose your MUC-DC flight.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 8:20 am

Programs: LX HON, AFKL Platinum, BA Gold->Blue again
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
Yes, you need to clear Schengen Immingration / Passport Control and technically also customs. But you won't notice the customs part unless you have checked bags and didn't manage to get them routed all the way to MAD.
If I understand the OP correctly he wants to fly BRI-MUC-MAD (instead of BRI-MUC-IAD). Leaving aside the issue of ditching the second leg and having a second PNR, if OP manages this the transfer will be all within Schengen this no security and no passport control at MUC.
chris63 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
will I have to go through customs control on arrival at MUC since my next flight on the original ticket departs out of the Schengen area?
If you have checked baggage and this baggage is not checked through (Baris -> Madrid), then yes you will have to pass through a Customs Control checkpoint after retrieving your checked baggage. Just go through the Green Channel. EU arriving passenger (with a green marked baggage tag) are normally not checked by German Customs officers.
Old Aug 30, 19, 8:36 am

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Unterwegs View Post
No passport control then. Nobody will care what your ticket says, just where you actually go to.

If you have a connection (and not a stopover) in MUC and luggage you need to make sure that your luggage is not checked thru to your final destination.

How do you plan to continue? If you have a connection to DC and miss your flight to DC you will loose your MUC-DC flight.
Indeed, ‘long story short ‘ & OP leaves out the crucial parts... quite why anyone would fly from Bari to MUC & backtrack to MAD is another ? Instead of Bari to MAD.
MichielR and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 8:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, KE SPC, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, LCA Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy
If BRI-MUC-IAD is in a single leg, the ground staff in Bari may reject to check baggages to MUC, MAD or anywhere else than IAD.
If you're going to skiplag the second leg of your ticket, do it without checked baggage.

This is because when your plans change, the airline wants you to pay the enormously high ticket change fees.
However, as the ground staff in Bari would be sub-contracted, they may check your bags to MAD but it's not worth the risk.
chris63, MichielR and jjay like this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Hi all. I don't have checked bag. The reason I ask this question is because at other international airports since the second leg of the flight is international, the flight might arrive at a gate that requires going through customs and passport control (no other option.)

Originally Posted by chris63 View Post

Indeed, ‘long story short ‘ & OP leaves out the crucial parts... quite why anyone would fly from Bari to MUC & backtrack to MAD is another ? Instead of Bari to MAD.
Because Bari to MAD costs more than I'm willing to pay for. And since I already have an expensive ticket from BRI-MUC-IAD, I can simply take the BRI-MUC leg and pay cheaper to fly from MUC-MAD. I don't see how your question is relevant to the original question.

Originally Posted by MichielR View Post

If I understand the OP correctly he wants to fly BRI-MUC-MAD (instead of BRI-MUC-IAD). Leaving aside the issue of ditching the second leg and having a second PNR, if OP manages this the transfer will be all within Schengen this no security and no passport control at MUC.
Thanks for understanding me correctly. Going by what you're saying, I won't be arriving at a gate that requires going through customs? I've never had an international flight from Europe connecting through another European country which is why I'm conducting due diligence. My plan is to fly LH from the same terminal. Out of curiosity, I'm looking at LH flights BRI-MUC and there are no direct flight for BRI-MUC, most go through FRA and then to MUC. The first leg of my current PNR however, goes directly to MUC on LH. So it's questionable whether I'm arriving at a gate that will require clearing immigration and passport control.

Originally Posted by Unterwegs View Post

I understand all you're saying. I just don't know if my flight will be arriving at a gate that requires clearing immigration or passport control since technically, it's an international flight except that I'm connecting through Schengen. I don't have checked bag.

Last edited by oliver2002; Sep 2, 19 at 4:39 am Reason: please use multiquote
Old Aug 30, 19, 11:44 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
If you are flying BRI-MUC-MAD the flights are like domestic flights in the US. BRI-MUC will be on Air Dolomiti’s ERJ195 and you may have to take a bus to the terminal but once in the terminal you can simply walk to your departure gate for the MAD flight without going through security or passport control.

However if you have overlapping reservations on two LH flights, MUC-IAD and MUC-MAD and they detect the duplication, they may cancel one or both reservations. I suggest you book MUC-MAD on IB. You will have to change terminals which MIGHT require security check but I cannot see you will encounter any problem.

Double booking [and dupe check] on Lufthansa
chris63 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 11:46 am

Programs: LX HON, AFKL Platinum, BA Gold->Blue again

I understand all you're saying. I just don't know if my flight will be arriving at a gate that requires clearing immigration or passport control since technically, it's an international flight except that I'm connecting through Schengen. I don't have checked bag.
Sorry but you don’t seem to understand. “Schengen” is an agreement between a number of European countries that allows travel between these countries (“international”) without passport control. That does not depend on the gate you will arrive at, it depends on where you go next: exit MUC or connect to MAD means staying in Schengen, connecting to IAD means that you leave Schengen on that flight and that’s the deciding factor.

However, passport control is likely to be the least of your concerns; ditching the MUC-IAD segment and getting a MUC-MAD ticket on LH on the same day is going to be more complicated as there is a chance that LH will flag the overlapping bookings.
Old Aug 30, 19, 12:17 pm

oh, BaRi... somehow I read BaLi... well... then forget what I said
Old Aug 30, 19, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
If you are flying BRI-MUC-MAD the flights are like domestic flights in the US. BRI-MUC will be on Air Dolomiti’s ERJ195 and you may have to take a bus to the terminal but once in the terminal you can simply walk to your departure gate for the MAD flight without going through security or passport control.

However if you have overlapping reservations on two LH flights, MUC-IAD and MUC-MAD and they detect the duplication, they may cancel one or both reservations. I suggest you book MUC-MAD on IB. You will have to change terminals which MIGHT require security check but I cannot see you will encounter any problem.

Double booking [and dupe check] on Lufthansa
Thanks, I thought duplicate flights only apply to duplicate bookings for the same flight? In this case, I'm changing flights altogether. You're right, my BRI-MUC flight is operated by a partner airline.

Sorry but you don’t seem to understand. “Schengen” is an agreement between a number of European countries that allows travel between these countries (“international”) without passport control. That does not depend on the gate you will arrive at, it depends on where you go next: exit MUC or connect to MAD means staying in Schengen, connecting to IAD means that you leave Schengen on that flight and that’s the deciding factor.

However, passport control is likely to be the least of your concerns; ditching the MUC-IAD segment and getting a MUC-MAD ticket on LH on the same day is going to be more complicated as there is a chance that LH will flag the overlapping bookings.
I'm of the impression that double booking is for the same flight on the same date. I'm I misunderstanding this?

Last edited by oliver2002; Sep 2, 19 at 4:41 am Reason: please use multiquote
Old Aug 30, 19, 1:15 pm

Because Bari to MAD costs more than I'm willing to pay for. And since I already have an expensive ticket from BRI-MUC-IAD, I can simply take the BRI-MUC leg and pay cheaper to fly from MUC-MAD. I don't see how your question is relevant to the original question.
If you provide all the relevant details from the outset it’s much easier for people to help you here & what are you planning for your MUC-IAD flight ?
Old Aug 30, 19, 1:16 pm

Programs: LH HON

I'm of the impression that double booking is for the same flight on the same date. I'm I misunderstanding this?
dupe check is also for different flights (for example to avoid you just book a refundable ticket on every single flight on a given day on a specific route)
Old Aug 30, 19, 1:18 pm

LH group can see in their systems if pax are flying on different bookings at the same time & maybe intentionally breaching the fare rules of one of those tickets.

Search this Thread