Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport control required at MUC?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

I was able to dig this up: "Never make duplicate or multiple reservations for the same passenger on the same flight/s and same date on same O&D (except waitlist bookings). Flight segments overlapping in time, booked for the same passenger, are also considered as duplicates."

It seems to apply to same flights and on same date. In my case, it's for a different flight/route on the same day. Can you clarify?
Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:33 pm
Suspended

jjay,

So how/when do you plan on getting to IAD? If you skip the MUC-IAD leg, the ticket will be cancelled.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cslovacek
jjay,

So how/when do you plan on getting to IAD? If you skip the MUC-IAD leg, the ticket will be cancelled.
I arrive at MUC at 1.35pm. The flight from MUC-IAD is at 4.25pm. I plan to book a flight from MUC-MAD leaving at 3.20pm same day; while ditching my MUC-IAD flight. I'm not particularly sure why this is considered double booking. Your question on how I plan to get to IAD is a moot point: I'm going to book an award flight from MAD to IAD on UA after spending 4 days in Madrid. I don't care that the MUC-IAD leg of my flight is going to be cancelled. Right now, the real question is whether I can book MUC-MAD on LH without getting flagged.

Last edited by jjay; Aug 30, 2019 at 1:54 pm
Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjay

I arrive at MUC at 1.35pm. The flight from MUC-IAD is at 4.25pm. I plan to book a flight from MUC-MAD leaving at 3.20pm same day; while ditching my MUC-IAD flight. I'm not particularly sure why this is considered double booking. Your question on how I plan to get to IAD is a moot point: I'm going to book an award flight from MAD to IAD after spending 4 days in Madrid. I don't care that the MUC-IAD leg of my flight is going to be cancelled.
What's the concern about passing through immigration?
nancypants and Duck1981 like this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:54 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond

I'm of the impression that double booking is for the same flight on the same date. I'm I misunderstanding this?
I was able to dig this up: "Never make duplicate or multiple reservations for the same passenger on the same flight/s and same date on same O&D (except waitlist bookings). Flight segments overlapping in time, booked for the same passenger, are also considered as duplicates."

It seems to apply to same flights and on same date. In my case, it's for a different flight/route on the same day. Can you clarify?
Have you checked the thread I linked above?

Double booking [and dupe check] on Lufthansa

“LH does what they call horizontal and vertical duplicate checks to protect their revenue integrity.”

“LH will instantly detect the duplicate and send both reservations into a queue to the issuing ossuing/owning office for clarification adding a deadline till they have to resolve the duplication or...”
Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Have you checked the thread I linked above?

Double booking [and dupe check] on Lufthansa

“LH does what they call horizontal and vertical duplicate checks to protect their revenue integrity.”

“LH will instantly detect the duplicate and send both reservations into a queue to the issuing ossuing/owning office for clarification adding a deadline till they have to resolve the duplication or...”
Yes I read it but I thought that's for flights on same route? I don't see anywhere where it makes reference to flights on different routes. Someone with a 25 hour layover asked a similar question on that thread about booking a second flight but never got a response. By horizontal and vertical, I suppose what you mean is that they check every and all flights? Do you have a link from LH about that? Further, what stops me from cancelling the MUC-IAD once I get to MUC since I still have some time at the airport? I would rather book a different airline but LH has the most convenient flight from MUC to MAD for my travel date.
Originally Posted by TomMM
That's not relevant.

Last edited by oliver2002; Sep 2, 2019 at 4:41 am Reason: please use multiquote
Old Aug 30, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold

That's not relevant.
Nothing is really relevant. Have a really good time.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA

I arrive at MUC at 1.35pm. The flight from MUC-IAD is at 4.25pm. I plan to book a flight from MUC-MAD leaving at 3.20pm same day; while ditching my MUC-IAD flight. I'm not particularly sure why this is considered double booking. Your question on how I plan to get to IAD is a moot point: I'm going to book an award flight from MAD to IAD on UA after spending 4 days in Madrid. I don't care that the MUC-IAD leg of my flight is going to be cancelled. Right now, the real question is whether I can book MUC-MAD on LH without getting flagged.
The system checks for illogical and duplicate bookings -- you cannot be on both flights on the same day.

LH might care about the abandoning of the return -- a round trip transcontinental is often less expensive than the one way ticket -- as the one way fares are often unrestricted fares.
This is why people were asking about what the plan was for the MUC-IAD ticket.

It is not the same with the inter-European flights -- the one way fares are available at lower fare classes.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arttravel
The system checks for illogical and duplicate bookings -- you cannot be on both flights on the same day.

LH might care about the abandoning of the return -- a round trip transcontinental is often less expensive than the one way ticket -- as the one way fares are often unrestricted fares.
This is why people were asking about what the plan was for the MUC-IAD ticket.

It is not the same with the inter-European flights -- the one way fares are available at lower fare classes.
Thanks. Yeah the MUC-IAD is going to the back burner. I'll risk booking MUC-MAD and if LH balks, I'll fly a different airline. I'll update this thread after my trip.
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer

Nothing is really relevant. Have a really good time.
Yeah didn't see the correlation between what you were asking and the original question. Thanks for asking though.Have a good time too.

Thanks. Yeah the MUC-IAD is going to the back burner. I'll risk booking MUC-IAD and if LH balks, I'll fly a different airline. I'll update this thread after my trip.
I just purchased a milage ticket from UA for the LH flight from MUC-MAD. Let's see what happens.

Last edited by oliver2002; Sep 2, 2019 at 4:42 am Reason: please use multiquote
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:03 pm

I just purchased a milage ticket from UA for the LH flight from MUC-MAD. Let's see what happens.
Are you going to cancel the MUC-US leg to avoid potential automatic cancellation of your MAD ticket?
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Yeah probably after I take the flight from BRI-MUC assuming I don't get notified about "duplicate" booking before then.
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Are you going to cancel the MUC-US leg to avoid potential automatic cancellation of your MAD ticket?
Yeah probably after I take the flight from BRI-MUC assuming I don't get notified about "duplicate" booking before then. Also if it gets cancelled, I suppose United will refund my miles?

Last edited by oliver2002; Sep 2, 2019 at 4:42 am Reason: please use multiquote
Old Aug 31, 2019, 2:19 am

I arrive at MUC at 1.35pm. The flight from MUC-IAD is at 4.25pm. I plan to book a flight from MUC-MAD leaving at 3.20pm same day; while ditching my MUC-IAD flight.
"(...) Flight segments overlapping in time, booked for the same passenger, are also considered as duplicates."
The source of your quote is not clear to me, but you answered your own question: not just the same passenger on the same flight, it also applies for segments overlapping in time (so in your case: MUC-MAD and MUC-IAD).

That said, I hope it works out. Please do report back on what happens - will be interesting to know for the community here.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by TomMM
I think this is a justified comment as the core question relates to 'will I be screened or not'.

If OP would have already booked a ticket which makes him subject to MCT and would be afraid to miss his flight - ok - but given the awkward booking ('let me save money by not booking a Bari to Madrid flight and let me waste my leg to the US instead which was expensive') plus the response to the question above gives the whole thing a strange taste.

This can be of course easily solved if OP explains a bit more (plus being a bit more friendly).

D
Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold

Yeah didn't see the correlation between what you were asking and the original question. Thanks for asking though.Have a good time too.
I did not ask for anything, so do not worry. Enjoy your life and don't bother what others think. We are currently absolutely used to approaches neither being friendly nor polite but demanding.
dr_torch, MichielR and Duck1981 like this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Has to be one of the most convoluted posts I've read here.

jjay: You do not have to go through any immigration. But there are multiple problems here.

1) You have two bookings the same day to two different places. Let's assume Lufthansa doesn't pick up on this and allows you to fly BRI-MUC-MAD. They are most definitely going to pick up on the fact that you didn't show up for a transatlantic flight. (by the way Lufthansa isn't going to contact you in advance- you'll show up at the airport and be denied boarding, period).

2) Lufthansa has been pretty aggressive lately with customers skipping segments (Google lawsuit against passenger who didn't return to Oslo)

3) On the US side you are going to bump up your flight risk score... (yes, this exists) by not showing up. So you may get more scrutiny when you do eventually go back to the US.

You really should just cancel the entire Bari-IAD flight altogether.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.