Lufthansa travel advisory for Hurricane Dorian

Old Aug 29, 19, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Lufthansa travel advisory for Hurricane Dorian

Does anyone have a guess when Lufthansa will announce their travel advisory for Hurricane Dorian? I have a flight (award booking from a Star partner) on LH464 FRA-MCO on September 3, one day after Dorian is expected to make landfall nearby, and would like to reschedule things to be at least a day later... Very surprised that no announcement has been made yet.
Old Aug 29, 19, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Which partner did you book through?
Old Aug 30, 19, 2:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH rarely makes decisions 5 days in advance especially when the path of the various hurricances hitting FL are uncertain. If an advisory is published it will be here: https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/flight-information

Unless LH cancels the flight or posts a significant delay, the partner will not change the reservation and the ticket for you. LH will not reissue the partner ticket unless the flight segment is under airport control.

LH464/03SEP still shows on time: https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/time...tiveTab=number
Old Aug 30, 19, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Sure, there is some ambiguity on the exact path that this storm will take, but it is nearly 100% certain that it will hit florida, and will make it impossible to fly in to MCO at this scheduled time. Regardless of if the center of the storm makes landfall over Palm Beach or Cocoa Beach, it will have tropical storm force winds at MCO either way. I see that you live in Munich and may not be very familiar with our weather forecasting here -- but it is actually surprisingly accurate these days.

Every major airline, other than Lufthansa, has announced official travel waivers for Dorian on their website. As an example
Virgin Atlantic: https://www.virginatlantic.com/us/en...avel-news.html
United: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...elnotices.aspx
American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp

In any event. I sent a DM on Twitter to @Lufthansa -- they said "we will do a travel waiver, just call."
Here's the summary of the results of phone calls:
Lufthansa: Because this was booked with TACA International (Avianca), you need to call them.
Avianca: We will change it, but charge a high fee. if you want it done without a fee, only Lufthansa can do that.
Lufthansa: Because it is with a partner booking, we will not change it until the flight is officially canceled on September 3. You must go to the airport on September 3 in order to change that booking.

I have to admit, this is surprisingly bad customer service, considering United, Delta, American, Jetblue, Virgin, etc all have official policies on waiving change fees and doing it on the phone (specifically to avoid having a large number of customers waiting on a line to make changes at the airport -- why do you want people at the airport NOT to fly?).

Last edited by some dude; Aug 30, 19 at 3:05 am
Old Aug 30, 19, 3:40 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
No this is the standard reply when you are on an award issued by another carrier - nothing new there. Many other carriers would have replied in the same way (I have no experience with the US carriers you mention)

So you need wait until/if the flight gets cancelled and then deal with it at that time. Yes, most likely you will need to go to the airport to get rebooked; LH call centers agents will refer you to call Avianca as soon as they realise that this an AV award. Maybe LH call center agents can rebook you to the LH flight the next day, but they will for sure refuse to reroute you. The award ticket issued by another carrier makes a big difference there.
Old Aug 30, 19, 3:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I'm based in Munich, but know about hurricanes too. A whatsapp chat group I'm in goes on and on about the predicted path and the various models that can be applied.

Again, LH will not touch the AV ticket until it is in airport control (hence the remark you got to go to the airport). AV can't do anything until LH cancels, which they will not do till the day of departure. Also AV has to find a suitable alternative for you, which is probably impossible when you are looking for award inventory. You really are best advised to wait to LH464 is cancelled on the day of departure or withing the airport control phase (T-24 or 48h) because it is then LH's job to take of you and they will, using regular revenue inventory, a feat that AV cannot perform.
chris63 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 4:55 am

Programs: this and that
https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/flight-information

Expected flight schedule disruptions to and from Miami, Tampa and Orlando

Due to the tropical storm "Dorian", the Lufthansa Group expects adverse effects on flights to and from Miami, Tampa and Orlando. This is expected to affect Monday and Tuesday (2 and 3 September) in particular. The Lufthansa Group's operating units are constantly monitoring the situation. Please check the status of your flight prior to departure and visit Lufthansa.com
Old Aug 30, 19, 9:51 am
Original Poster

After approx 10 phone calls to both Lufthansa, and Avianca Lifemiles, eventually I got it rescheduled.

Lufthansa had to make a new booking under the same record locator for the new flight (same flight number, origin, destination ... different day). Lufthansa then told me to call Avianca to "reissue" the ticket (but at this point, the new information was already loaded into the PNR for them).
Old Aug 30, 19, 10:09 am

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by some dude View Post
After approx 10 phone calls to both Lufthansa, and Avianca Lifemiles, eventually I got it rescheduled.

Lufthansa had to make a new booking under the same record locator for the new flight (same flight number, origin, destination ... different day). Lufthansa then told me to call Avianca to "reissue" the ticket (but at this point, the new information was already loaded into the PNR for them).
Good that your persistence paid off but as others here pointed out, itís far from easy for the operating carrier with an award ticket issued by a partner.
Old Aug 30, 19, 6:46 pm

MCO is now closing on Monday. So at least all flights departing/arriving that day can be expected to get cancelled.
Old Aug 30, 19, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by flyer9856 View Post
MCO is now closing on Monday. So at least all flights departing/arriving that day can be expected to get cancelled.
"Expected"?

One would hope. Fairly dangerous to land at a closed field.
Old Aug 31, 19, 5:58 am
Original Poster

(FRA/MCO) LH464/465 are now cancelled for September 1, 2, 3.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: