Award Flight Canceled - Not Possible to Rebook??

Old Aug 28, 19, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Angry Award Flight Canceled - Not Possible to Rebook??

I have three tickets booked via M&M from OMA-YYZ-WAW on 12/26. The AC segment OMA-YYZ segment was canceled. I found a flight via ORD and called the service center. I was told that award inventory must be available in order to rebook me and of course, none is available.

I have had these situations before with DL, UA and AA. In these cases it was never an issue to be accommodated on revenue flights. It surprised that this is the policy with M&M. I am only spending two days in Warsaw and have another flight out of WAW booked two days later. The follow on ticket was booked with M&M as well.

I was told by the agent that my only option is to receive a refund for the first ticket, however, my second follow on ticket can only be refunded, if I pay for it. At this point I hung up.

What is M&M official policy on award flights that they cancel?
Old Aug 28, 19, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is up to the operating carrier of the flight in question whether it will open award space on request. It does not appear that this has occurred. It is a manual and time-consuming process.

Call back, ask for a supervisor if necessary, and ask that a liaison agent contact UA (I am presuming that the ORD connection is operated by UA), and determine whether UA will open award space. If it will, you are set. If it will not, there is nothing to be done to force UA to do so. This can easily take a week.
Old Aug 28, 19, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
misread

Are you saying LH won't open inventory ORD-WAW on its own metal? If so, that would be a very good reason to avoid M&M. UA would certainly open award space in this circumstance.

Last edited by Kacee; Aug 28, 19 at 9:12 am
Old Aug 28, 19, 9:01 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
You received the standard reply of LH/M&M agents - award seats needs to be available in order to rebook. Most likely you will get nowhere with this. To release 3 award seats on LH or LH Group flights will definitely be a supervisor decision - if at all possible. LH will not/can't do anything for you for UA or AC flights

LH will not rebook you into revenue class. Period.

Last edited by SK AAR; Aug 28, 19 at 9:07 am
Old Aug 28, 19, 9:02 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Also since this cancellation is outside of the 14 days mandated by EU261 all you get is a full refund.
Old Aug 28, 19, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick responses. I was afraid of that. I booked the tickets with Miles and More. The first segment is on Air Canada and the second on LOT. From what I am reading it is likely pointless to call M&M again as this is their policy. Do I have any real chances calling AC? There are no AC flights that can get me on 12/26 from OMA to YYZ. UA has flights but will AC rebook me on those?
Old Aug 28, 19, 9:47 am

AC will not touch an award ticket issued by M&M despite that it is their flight that got cancelled - pointless to contact AC as AC will refer you to contact the issuer of the ticket. You contact point is LH/M&M only.
Old Aug 28, 19, 9:50 am

Doesn’t help to call AC or UA. They won’t touch a Miles and More ticket.

The best they could do is open award space and have Miles and More book those. But calling AC/UA gets you nowhere, those requests would need to come from M&M.
Often1 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
Thanks for the quick responses. I was afraid of that. I booked the tickets with Miles and More. The first segment is on Air Canada and the second on LOT. From what I am reading it is likely pointless to call M&M again as this is their policy. Do I have any real chances calling AC? There are no AC flights that can get me on 12/26 from OMA to YYZ. UA has flights but will AC rebook me on those?
I think that you are missing the point.

An LH supervisor could indeed message a *A liaison agent at LH and ask that agent to contact UA to determine whether UA would open the space. You would then continue on as booked. Do not get your hopes up for UA to approve this, but given that you have a lot of time, why not put it to good use.

You might also look at alternate routings OMA-WAW which would include UA to a US gateway and onwards service on any *A carrier nonstop or via a European gateway. All likely less convenient, but might well be doable.

Do not count on any logistical help from LH. Rather, do the research yourself and be prepared to feed it to the agent.
Old Aug 28, 19, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

Do not count on any logistical help from LH. Rather, do the research yourself and be prepared to feed it to the agent.
I had done that initially and fed the agent the OMA-ORD segment on UA and the ORD-WAW on LOT. However, with no award availability, this was a no and the same was true for any routes via LH. I will do some more research on my own and will play HUCA twice tomorrow.
Old Aug 29, 19, 2:10 am

You need to find award availability as well. A simple route search, OMA-WAW will get you nowhere.
Old Aug 29, 19, 2:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You are pretty SOL here. There is one economy award seat out of OMA on Dec 26: to EWR on the evening flight which sadly gets in too late to catch the LO flight to WAW. In your case I would look into byuing a revenue ticket to a LO/LH/LX gateway like ORD and continue from there on miles.
Old Sep 1, 19, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

I have called M&M 3x and AC 2x. To recap: my flight OMA-YYZ-WAW had the segment OMA-YYZ canceled. It was (auto)replaced with ORD-YYZ on AC. There is a revenue option in UA to get from OMA to ORD in time. Here is what each airline/agency has been saying consistently. M&M (the ticketing agency) advised that AC (operating airline which canceled OMA-YYZ and replaced it with ORD-YYZ) must add the UA OMA-ORD segment to the reservation. Once this is done, I need to call M&M to re-issue the ticket. M&M has notes on my reservation to that effect. AC advised on a second call by a very competent agent that normal course is for the ticketing agency to call the operating airline directly and not have the customer do the leg work. (M&M is telling me they cannot call outbound). Regardless the AC agent advised that she added the segment. Upon calling M&M I was told that nothing was added. My next step is to call AC again and this time I will check the record locator while on the phone, once (if) the agent tells me again the new segment was added. At this point (if it happens) I am (fairly) confident that M&M will reissue. It's an interesting experience to say the least. I am also considering calling AC and then conferencing in a M&M agent to do a three way call.
Old Sep 1, 19, 3:44 pm

Do a three-way call with AC & LH. It is entirely untrue that LH cannot make outbound calls (although the individual agent may not have that capacity).

But, if the three of you are on the phone, this is resolvable, although you are playing switchboard.
Old Sep 2, 19, 2:23 am

Are you honestly expecting M&M til issue a ticket with UA revenue segment?

Surely, AC can add the UA segment (easy because they are not paying for it!) but I would expect M&M to refuse to issue as soon as the agent realise that a UA revenue segment has been added rather than in award class.

Search this Thread