Discrepanies in Euro-Business service concept

Old Aug 21, 19, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY PLT, DL FO, AA GLD, LH, EK, TK, IHG PLT w/AMB, Marriott Silver
Discrepanies in Euro-Business service concept

Disclaimer: I'm not regular lufthansa flier, so I'm really not that into LH's service concept but after two intra-EU flights today, I have to say I'm bit puzzled...

First flight: Helsinki to Frankfurt, mid-afternoon departure, flight duration 2h25min. After take off, crew took drink orders and served them straight, no cocktail nibbles or anything. Then after that, they brought the meal trays. No menu cards, no hot towels. The meal tray looked pretty dire, and very ecomyish with plastic utensils and disposable dishes. Appetiser was a teaspoon of potato salad with half cherry tomato and slice of cucumber. Main was plain chicken with very artificial tasting lemon sauce and sides and dessert was 1inch x 1inch sized foamy cake. After lunch coffee and tea and then that's it. The service per se was not bad but not really good either. And the meal, while everything was edible, it just screamed ECONOMY all around.

LH849/21AUG HEL-FRA

After 1,5h connection in Frankfurt on to next flight, early evening service to Madrid, flight duration 2h15min. After take off hot towels were distributed and then drink service WITH two pouches of smoked almonds. Menu cards seemed to be enhanced away also from this flight, but the F/A did good enough job describing the menu options. Then they brought the meal trays and bread basket individually to each passenger. This time the meal tray looked like it should be on an intra-EU flight, and the meal was actually pretty good. Coffee, tea and few rounds of drinks and the flight was done before I knew it. Service on this flight was better than on the first one.

LH1122/21AUG FRA-MAD

So, my question to you, Lufthansa regulars, is this the new normal, that different cities in EU get different service concept, regardless that the actual flight times are more or less identical? Is Madrid in some higher tier than Helsinki in LH's system, or was this just a snafu? Last time I flew LH euro-biz from Helsinki one year ago, the service concept was pretty much the same as on my FRA-MAD flight today.

Last edited by DALtoAAL; Aug 21, 19 at 3:02 pm Reason: typos
Old Aug 21, 19, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DALtoAAL View Post
And the meal, while everything was edible, it just screamed ECONOMY all around.
Nah, this screams ECONOMY

Old Aug 21, 19, 11:44 pm

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
The first meal was catered Ex HEL, itís not a LH offering, second meal to MAD is one of the standard LH meals for longer Intra EU flights & yes the catering is variable, I have had better meals on short flights like FRA-AMS than MUC- MAN but they are all poor & LH catering is on a downward spiral
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 22, 19, 1:01 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
I remember how Lufthansa sent messages to passengers the past few weeks about "staff shortages" at their catering provider, with impact on service on board. Looks like you just got a Y meal on the first flight, probably because of a service interruption of LSG, the catering firm
Old Aug 22, 19, 1:49 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
But certainly, business class on LH is that of economy class 25 years ago. Just one of the reasons I never book it, for money or miles.
hugolover and Kleffen like this.
Old Aug 22, 19, 4:54 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
I remember how Lufthansa sent messages to passengers the past few weeks about "staff shortages" at their catering provider, with impact on service on board. Looks like you just got a Y meal on the first flight, probably because of a service interruption of LSG, the catering firm
This shortages should be limited to flights between 60 and 180 minutes and only economy class. See: https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/flight-information I second that the meal on the first picture was provided by a caterer in HEL while the second meal was from the LSG station in FRA. Maybe a year ago HEL-FRA flights were catered with meals from LSG in FRA and were carried on board.
Old Aug 22, 19, 10:27 am

Hmm, is the hot portion catered in HEL? Because the bread and the potato salad was exactly the same as my recent flight in Y to LCA which makes me think it is some kind of Y meal, but that protein element would be far beyond Helga's budget. Perhaps a miss mash then.
Old Aug 22, 19, 10:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
This is definitely an Y meal and not normal J catering ex-HEL. I would send the photo to LH and ask for some small compensation.
hugolover likes this.

Search this Thread