Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage reduction after online upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Mileage reduction after online upgrade?

I just made use of LH's online offer to upgrade an upcoming TATL Premium Economy flight (fare class E) to Business assuming the latter would book into Z, having the same miles accrual factor as E, i.e., 1.5. Instead, the business seat was booked into P which has only a factor of 1.0. So, I paid more money and lose miles. Is this true?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:21 pm

You paid more money and lost miles, true, but you flew in business, don't forget that. But consider yourself lucky. If you had credited the miles in another *A fidelity program (i.e. not M&M), you could have earned 0 (zero) miles! This is how much LH gives for P.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: LH M+M
LH will book your upgrade into lowest available bucket, typically P - with less status miles.
If departure comes closer and buckets run down to zero, upgrades als can go into D/C (had an E-to-D the other day) - but typically they're more expensive, too.
As a figure.. for a FRA-HND leg the initial upgrade cost was around 600E (into P), then at 750-800 (into Z) and just a day or two before departure the upgrade was offered at 950E (into D).

expertflyer helps to "predict" the target booking class...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.