Misconnect in MUC Question

Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Misconnect in MUC Question

Hello Lufthansa Friends.

I am travelling tonight with my family YOW-YYZ-MUC-AGP. YYZ to MUC is showing over an hour late and we will misconnect MUC to AGP.

I called Lufthansa and they protected me on the later MUC to AGP flight which is wonderful news given this is the peak of the season and we are a family of 5.

Can you please confirm my understanding:

1. When I arrive in MUC I am to go to the customer service desk to obtain new boarding passes and

2. The baggage will automatically be transferred to the new flight.

Thank you.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: TK*G (E+)
1.Yep / u will get new BP on your email straight after landing in MUC
2. Yep

no worries, enjoy your flight
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Since the later MUC-AGP arrives >3 hours after the earlier flight don't forget to claim EC261 compensation as well
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by truncated
Since the later MUC-AGP arrives >3 hours after the earlier flight don't forget to claim EC261 compensation as well
Strongly depends on the reason. And its 4 hours, not 3.
chris63 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by athome
Strongly depends on the reason. And its 4 hours, not 3.
As any of the EU261 threads will tell you the threshold for compensation is 3 hours for long-haul flights not 4 — a delay of 3–4 hours just means 300EUR instead of 600EUR. Also the reason for this delay seems pretty clear-cut — delayed inbound from MUC

Either way if OP doesn't write in for compensation they won't get any so no harm in doing so, no?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

It was a Nightmare

For some unknown reason. Lufthansa rebooked us instead YYZ to Manchester UK to Malaga. I don’t understand why. If you see above we were protected on the later 1430 Munich to Malaga flight (do you think my proactively calling Lufthansa to get protected on that later flight caused all this mess?)

The problem is the checked in baggage. I knew there was no way the baggage would get rerouted on the new itinerary through Manchester. I also knew that Lufthansa would reject the bags if we were no longer booked on the flight to Munich. A vacation with no bags is no vacation.

Long story short - we were reunited with our baggage after 3 hours at Toronto airport of persistently asking Lufthansa baggage services and Air Canada baggage services. Lufthansa agreed to rebook us to Malaga tomorrow through Munich (that was nuts as well as we had to be offloaded from the flight from Ottawa which arrived 8 hours earlier so Lufthansa could use the coupon). So we lose a night vacation but we stay with our bags. I have 3 kids. The bags are a big deal.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Salisbury5
So we lose a night vacation but we stay with our bags. I have 3 kids. The bags are a big deal.
And you saved yourself of visiting the probably worst airport in Europe, that also is not really designed for transit passengers. Plus MAN to AGP is only served by low cost companies AFAIK, so not sure how Lufthansa managed to do that...
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
IMO, the OP should have boarded the YYZ-MUC flight without complaining at Toronto and asking to be rebooked at MUC.
In the current situation, it seems that the OP has lost a day and probably paid their own hotel in YYZ + their expenses as they have volunteered to travel a day later. The airline had offered them a better re-routing ( obviously in their own perspective ).

If he had gone to the MUC transfer desk being quiet at YYZ, he would have received a minimum ( 300 EUR x 5 = 1500 EUR ) in cash and would not lose a day but only hours.

By the way, MAN to AGP is also served by BA CityFlyer and Iberia ( possibly IberiaExpress ) during the summer season.
chris63 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Well that was a surprise

I love FlyerTalk. I read it every day. I have read it every day for maybe 15 years. I consider myself an experienced traveller. And I greatly respect my fellow Flyertalkers for your advice and experience and helpfulness.

This experience is is no exception.

But it it seems that my experience and desire to be proactive (something I learned from FlyerTalk) might have been the cause of my troubles last night.

Lets put EUR 261 compensation aside completely please for the following question.

i would have assumed that my fellow FlyerTalkers would have also been proactive in calling Lufthansa from Canada and finding out what in advance awaits them in Munich. Certainly I was happy to hear about being “protected” on the later Malaga flight. And it put my mind at ease before an overnight transatlantic flight. Plus maybe I took the last 5 seats from the MUC-AGP flight saving me a night in Munich (ignoring EUR261 again please).

But sometime after I hung up with Lufthansa I was (presumably automatically) offloaded from the YYZ-MUC flight and put on some crazy routing through Manchester.

The previous poster suggests I may have caused this myself somehow. And if I kept quiet I would not have been re-routed. I respect his opinion.

I was just doing what I thought you all would agree was the best way forward. Be proactive. In the case if IRROPS always call, always be proactiv, is the usual advice here.

So so did I do wrong?

Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Salisbury5;31428728[left
I was just doing what I thought you all would agree was the best way forward. Be proactive. In the case if IRROPS always call, always be proactiv, is the usual advice here.

So so did I do wrong?
I agree that being proactive is usually the best policy.

I suspect there were not actually 5 seats on the later flight as the agent promised you. Since otherwise there is no way you would have been rerouted via MAN.

So, in the end by being proactive did result in no EU261 compensation & funding your own care which would have otherwise been LH’s responsibility
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by chris63
I agree that being proactive is usually the best policy.

True, often it is... but also depends on the situation. Getting to MUC (or FRA) first and the figure out how to proceed is not a bad thing as you got quite a lot of options from MUC/FRA and a mit of LH staff on the ground.

Calling in or talking to (in the worst case outsourced) outstation agents sometimes leads to not that desirable outcomes.

My first priority is always to get over the pond, then figure out the shorthaul later.

Last edited by fassy; Aug 18, 2019 at 4:02 pm
Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by fassy

True, often it is... but also depends on the situation. Getting to MUC (or FRA) first and the figure out how to proceed is not a bad thing as you got quite a lot of options from MUC/FRA and a mit of LH staff on the ground.

Calling in or talking to (in the worst case outsourced) outstation agents sometimes leads to not that desirable outcomes.

My first priority is always to get over the pond, then figure out the shorthaul later.
Yes, it all depends on the circumstances & the priority ought to be getting the longhaul done.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by fassy
My experience is that calling LH call centers in a situation like this is hopeless. When on an award of other carriers: "Sorry, but you need to contact the issuer of the ticket". When on an M&M award: "We can only rebook you if award seats are available". When on a LH revenue ticket: "We can only rebook you on LH group" - you get the picture

Speaking to the airport agents (outsourced or not) get this resolved immediately without the constraints imposed by call center agents.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Salisbury5
The problem is the checked in baggage. I knew there was no way the baggage would get rerouted on the new itinerary through Manchester. I also knew that Lufthansa would reject the bags if we were no longer booked on the flight to Munich. A vacation with no bags is no vacation.
Why did you automatically assume that the bags would not make it? Lufthansa (and all other airlines) have rerouted passengers many times before, and they always take care of their bags, either via the new route or the original routing.
DoB840 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
In my opinion this "protect me on a later flight proactively" is a North American thing which I rarely hear form European airlines but I might be wrong. My guess is that the agent did not protect you on a later flight but tried to rebook you and screwed up. What I did not understand when the OP became aware of the unusual rerouting via MAN? At the airport at YOW during check-in, during transfer at YYZ or even earlier? Who did the rebooking? An agent at the airport at YOW or YYZ or was at someone at the LH backoffice? If it was done at the backoffice when was the OP notified? I also do not understand the luggage situation. Why does the OP think the luggage would be routed via MUC instead of taking the same route as the OP. Sorry for all the questions but with the limited information at hand we can only widely speculate.
ISTFlyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.