Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Misconnect in MUC Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
I became aware of the unusual routing through MAN By the Lufthansa gate agent in Toronto. I was informed that I was no longer booked through Munich and I should go see Air Canada customer service to get checked in to Manchester.

i can only presume that Lufthansa (either automatically or through a human) did the rebooking since the last flight of the day to Malaga was now full or at least could not accommodate 5 passengers notwithstanding the “protection” I was offered earlier in the day.

As for the luggage it was tagged through Munich in Ottawa. I knew there was no way it would automatically be rerouted to Manchester (and then Malaga). I also knew there was no way the bags would be accepted into the Lufthansa flight to Munich since I was no longer on that flight. So I knew we would have issues with the baggage in our vacation, a situation my wife would not accept. She wanted the bags back before we left Toronto for proper retagging consistent with whatever new itinerary we were on and I agreed.

Finally, the morning Lufthansa agent I spoke to on the phone (see first post) either simply did nothing to “protect” me on the later flight to Malaga or screwed it up. My fear all along (see my second post) is that my call in the morning seeking “protection” on the later flight interfered with the automatic Lufthansa rebooking process. In other words, there would have been space on that later flight when the system sought to rebook me in the usual course BUT because I obtained “protection” there was no space showing and I was rerouted to Manchester as an alternative routing. in other words, I was the author of my own misfortune. Some of you say yes. Some of you say no.

Finally finally the rebooking to the next day was complicated because we were mid itinerary but the Lufthansa call centre agents were very knowledgeable about what steps needed to be taken to be properly released by Air Canada. These were not outsourced people. At least one had to be a very experienced agent as he had to guide the Air Canada agent with me holding my cellphone on exactly what to do.

Finally (times 3), let’s discuss the waiver by me if the likely compensation I was owed. My wife made it crystal clear that she was not prepared to go on vacation with our 3 kids if we knew (as we did) that the baggage would not accompany us. Note: we would have flown through Manchester if we had been reunited with our bags in time to get retagged by Air Canada. We were in the end about 30 minutes late. So I declined the initial rerouting offered by Lufthansa and waived compensation. That was my choice. I did that knowingly and voluntarily.

But friends. Trust me. If you knew my wife as I do you would say I made the right choice.

Last edited by Salisbury5; Aug 19, 2019 at 4:35 am
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by flyingfkb
In my opinion this "protect me on a later flight proactively" is a North American thing which I rarely hear form European airlines but I might be wrong.
Indeed, I'm very surprised if LH agreed to rebook the OP (and the 4 other pax) on the later MUC-AGP flight so well in advance. Normally, rebookings will be done once it is clear that the OP and party actually miss the MUC-AGP flight; not in advance like this. There is no concept of "rebooking proactively" with LH and partners as many things can happen until the MUC-AGP flight actually departs. It happens very often that pax departing on a (heavily) delayed initial flight actually makes the connection at MUC because of e.g. favourable winds across the Atlantic and the connecting flight being delayed.

My understanding/assumption is that rebooking via MAN was done by LH back office (regardless whether or not the OP and party had already been rebooked for the later MUC-AGP flight). Indeed, rebooking via MAN seems very strange, but presumably LH had difficulties accommodating 5 pax on their own or LH partner flights with a reasonable itinerary.

The OP rejected a reasonable rebooking already provided by LH and elected to take the flights a day later due concerns about the luggage. I will not comment on the luggage concerns, but just add that in a situation like this LH is obviously not under any obligation to provide accommodation or pay compensation for delay. I hope the OP has travel insurance that can be persuaded to cover this (although I doubt it if it becomes clear to the insurance company that the OP rejected a same day rebooking).
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
In my opinion, the LH phone agent never rebooked the OP. Maybe he/she only checked if there is space for 5 pax available on the later MUC-AGP flight. If the OP would have been rebooked, some kind of email would have been sent (e.g. with the updated reservation/eticket) or the ube visible on the LH app. If these things do not happen, the LH phone agent simply has not done anything.
I do not agree with SK AAR on the "proactive rebooking": For me this has worked a couple of times. I remember being rebooked from LH on LX on an F-award ticket to the US, when there were rumours on another LH pilot strike, before the strike was even officially announced. And a second time after an ATC IT meltdown in AMS when all flights were ~3h delayed and I could foresee that I would miss my ZRH-BKK connection by ~1h and asked to be rebooked via SIN. But admittedly, the second case was a paid F ticket and being a SEN for many years may have helped as well.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For 5 pax traveling in Economy and with no LH status, LH would never make any curtesy "proactive rebooking" in advance. Flying F/C and being LH HON/SEN(and maybe FTL) may yield another result.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
@Salisbury5: Thank your for clarifying. What is really weird that the itinerary change did not came up when you started the trip in YOW / Ottawa. Now I can understand the possible luggage complications. My advice for the future do not talk with LH agents about being "protected" on another flight. Ask them that you are worried to miss your connection and what options they can give you.

@SK AAR: You spoke my mind. LH is normally very restrictive about rebooking on other flights especially in advance unless a flight is clearly canceled.

@Viennafly These F-tickets and status might have done the trick for you ;-)

In my experience in a delay situation, especially where we talk about just one hour delay, LH normally does not rebook in advance and in most cases they deal with the problem re-actively. It is even interesting that you were rebooked at all. IMHO you might have had a less stressful situation just going through MUC, missing your connection and either get lucky to be put on the next flight to AGP or stay a night at MUC in a hotel paid by LH / AC. In addition you could have easily claimed your EC261 compensation.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Just wondering, which carrier they have offered you to fly MAN-AGP? If it was Easyjet, Ryanair, etc... I would have also worried about my bags.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Salisbury5
Finally finally the rebooking to the next day was complicated because we were mid itinerary but the Lufthansa call centre agents were very knowledgeable about what steps needed to be taken to be properly released by Air Canada. These were not outsourced people. At least one had to be a very experienced agent as he had to guide the Air Canada agent with me holding my cellphone on exactly what to do.
Thanks for clarifying, but I fail to understand what AC had to do with rebooking you and why "release" was necessary. The ticket was issued by AC /on AC ticket stock? Or you talked to an AC agent at YYZ who had to be "guided" by LH call center agent on how to deal with your ticket/rebooking? Obviously, your initial flight to YYZ was with AC, but as I understand it, your next flight was LH 495 YYZ-MUC, so unless it was an AC ticket, I fail to understand what AC had to do with this. Once at the AC service center at YYZ you called LH to get rebooked and it was done in cooperation with the AC service center agent?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
We needed Air Canada’s help for the rebooking because the coupon from YOW to YYZ was showing “checked in” and not “flown”’which is what LH needed to get control again. The fact that I momentarily checked into the flight to MAN exacerbated the problem I admit.

MAN to AGP was to be on BA CityFlyer.

The epilogue. The bags made it to Malaga today just fine but were segregated from the bags which originated in the EU. My heart stopped for awhile until I figured out that I had to clear EU customs in Malaga in a special area.

Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Salisbury5
The epilogue. The bags made it to Malaga today just fine but were segregated from the bags which originated in the EU. My heart stopped for awhile until I figured out that I had to clear EU customs in Malaga in a special area.
Well, just as an advice for the future: Always pack a cabin roller with essential clothes and stuff for 2 or 3 days, never be afraid of lost bags again. For you, wife and 3 kids, 3 x 50" rollers would have been plenty to cover for the days. Even under the best circumstances (i.E. no irops, no missed flights or connections, no hicccup at all...) , your bags might be misplaced and delayed.

And, always try to get to the hub of the major carrier first, then start sorting out things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.