HKG airport closure

Old Aug 12, 19, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
HKG airport closure

Tonights LH 731 HKG-MUC & LH797 HKG-FRA are both cancelled due to HKG airport closure.

Same for LH730 MUC-HKG & LH796 FRA-HKG today, so tomorrow’s 13th August return flights will also not operate as scheduled.

Good luck to all those affected, including Me
MichielR and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
Same for LH730 MUC-HKG & LH796 FRA-HKG today, so tomorrow’s 13th August return flights will also not operate as scheduled.
I'm also affected, due to fly HKG->MUC on 13th in P. Can you explain the conclusion about the 13th Aug return flights please, I'm not following? Seems like flights in both directions were cancelled on 12th, so there's two planes sat on the ground in HKG ready to depart to MUC/FRA on 13th?

www.lufthansa.com/de/en/flight-information (sorry, apparently I need 5 posts before I can post the url!) seems to say they currently. expect to run a regular service on 13th. (Assuming no protest happens tomorrow of course!) Online checkin showed a large number of seats available/unassigned which seems odd.
Old Aug 12, 19, 10:31 am

Programs: LX HON, AFKL Platinum, BA Gold->Blue again
Good luck indeed.

Rubber bullets instead of rubber duckies
chris63, Kleffen, bowzer91 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 11:39 am

Programs: LH HON
Tonights LH 731 HKG-MUC & LH797 HKG-FRA are both cancelled due to HKG airport closure.

Good luck to all those affected, including Me
tomorrows return flights should operate as the planes are actually both in HKG. So is LX btw.
Old Aug 12, 19, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daumueller View Post

tomorrows return flights should operate as the planes are actually both in HKG. So is LX btw.
Maybe, to clarify LH730 from 12th is cancelled so that aircraft never left MUC I was booked on it’s return on 13th, same situation for the FRA flight, indeed there is an A380 & A346 from 11th still in HKG.
Old Aug 12, 19, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Joseph Heenan View Post
I'm also affected, due to fly HKG->MUC on 13th in P. Can you explain the conclusion about the 13th Aug return flights please, I'm not following? Seems like flights in both directions were cancelled on 12th, so there's two planes sat on the ground in HKG ready to depart to MUC/FRA on 13th?

www.lufthansa.com/de/en/flight-information (sorry, apparently I need 5 posts before I can post the url!) seems to say they currently. expect to run a regular service on 13th. (Assuming no protest happens tomorrow of course!) Online checkin showed a large number of seats available/unassigned which seems odd.
Yes, the aircraft from the 11th are in HKG, which is not the return you were due to take but indeed I hope you get back as planned.
Old Aug 12, 19, 10:57 pm

Maybe, to clarify LH730 from 12th is cancelled so that aircraft never left MUC I was booked on it’s return on 13th, same situation for the FRA flight, indeed there is an A380 & A346 from 11th still in HKG.
that was my point 731 on 13th should operate if the airport is open again, just with the aircraft that was planned for the 12th
Old Aug 12, 19, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daumueller View Post

that was my point 731 on 13th should operate if the airport is open again, just with the aircraft that was planned for the 12th
Yes and my point was that the flights on 12th to HKG were not operating & therefore the pax booked on 13th don’t have a confirmed seat, since pax unable to fly from HKG on 12th have priority
Old Aug 13, 19, 12:58 am

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
[Yes and my point was that the flights on 12th to HKG were not operating & therefore the pax booked on 13th don’t have a confirmed seat, since pax unable to fly from HKG on 12th have priority
Is that so?

Luckily, I have never been in this situation but I was often wondering: If a daily flight is cancelled on day 1, and I hold a confirmed reservation for day 2, and the flight is operating on day 2, do I then get to fly and the stranded pax from day 1 must hope that there will eventually be some spare seats? Or would they kick me off my confirmed day 2 flight to put day 1 passengers on there?
Old Aug 13, 19, 3:07 am

Programs: LH SEN only nowadays, AF & AY basic. Radisson Blu fan :-)
Originally Posted by airoli View Post
Is that so?

Luckily, I have never been in this situation but I was often wondering: If a daily flight is cancelled on day 1, and I hold a confirmed reservation for day 2, and the flight is operating on day 2, do I then get to fly and the stranded pax from day 1 must hope that there will eventually be some spare seats? Or would they kick me off my confirmed day 2 flight to put day 1 passengers on there?
My understanding is that you would get to fly and they would fill up any empty seats with pax from day 1. By also delaying people on day 2 you would create unnecessary additional costs (because you pay day 1 pax for the original delay, plus now also day 2 pax for the new delay). This is the way it was handled during the iceland volcano erruption a few years back.
As with everything there are probably exceptions ;-)
Old Aug 13, 19, 3:35 am

Just read over at the CX forum that Check in for CX is closed again for today (13th). Not sure what happens with the LH flights.
Old Aug 13, 19, 3:54 am

Official airport site now says this for today:

Airport operations at Hong Kong International Airport have been seriously disrupted, all departure flights have been cancelled. All passengers are advised to leave the terminal buildings as soon as possible. Affected passengers please contact their respective airlines for flight arrangement.
So I can't see LH flights operating.

Any tips on rebooking most welcome... I don't have status but am travelling in business.
Old Aug 13, 19, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Joseph Heenan View Post
Any tips on rebooking most welcome... I don't have status but am travelling in business.
Go to SXZ and from there to ICN, PEK, BKK or SIN?

Just need to make sure you get get to SXZ which obviously depend on the passport in your pocket.

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/cit...on-arrival.htm
Old Aug 13, 19, 5:39 am

Yes and my point was that the flights on 12th to HKG were not operating & therefore the pax booked on 13th don’t have a confirmed seat, since pax unable to fly from HKG on 12th have priority
while that may be the case for HONs, I doubt that is the way they operate for the other PAX
Old Aug 13, 19, 8:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG

I'm pretty sure you can't just kick out pax on a confirmed flight to accomondate others, exactly because the pax fromt he a 13th have a confirmed seat while the ones from the 12th do not. As HON you'll obviously get the remaining seats first, but for the others I doubt it. Because if you do that the pax affected starts to increase significantly. LX will rather have some pax wait until the 14th instead of pushing pax from the 13th to the 14th.

Search this Thread