MXP lounge

Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:02 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by behuman
2. Shall *G not offer anymore lounge access when traveling on cheap fares ?
3. SEN lounge should be for SEN only, not for *G (which are most often cheap compared to SEN) and should at best be allowed to the standard C lounges ?

I would approve all of the above as it is time that LH cares more for their own elites, *G is most of the time more easy to attain than LH FTL.

The goal of any quality product should be to keep it exclusive to motivate people to get it.
Originally Posted by Raul_R
My five cents:
2.*G should keep lounge access but ONLY to LH business lounge, not depending on the fare class
3.SEN lounge MUST become absolutely SEN-only with absolute ban for all other *G (if they are not lucky enough to be SEN's guest). But standard C lounge acccess should remain no matter of travel/booking class and fare paid.

The topic of banning *G from SEN Lounges is coming up way to frequently for my liking.
While imo there aren't enough SEN to justify a SEN only SEN Lounge, as per Oliver, LH gets an extra 10 Eur for admitting *G to the SEN Lounges, so that surely won't change anytime soon.
Why does everybody want to cut benefits for everybody else? Way too many airlines do that already, you don't need to encourage them too as well. Just think UA not allowing their own elites to their lounges on domestic travel. Think SQ with their lovely Premium Economy *G check in counters. This undercuts the exact principle of having world wide benefits even at airports that your FFP carrier doesn't even fly too, so let's just leave it at the status quo.

While I get that there are some programs where one can achieve *G extremly easily, that surely doesn't make up the majority of *G visiting lounges and punishing all of them for it would surely be wrong. I'm based in ZRH and am a SK *G, and I admit, I probably wouldn't make it to SEN with my flying patern, yet I still spend a not unsignificant amount of money on LX and LH flights. And just to put the whole thing in reference: If you want to optimize, achieving SEN is possible by spending as little as 5k $ (two F partner special roundtrips) and my flights to achieve *G with SK aren't exactly cheaper than that. SEN already have some exclusive beneifts and a SEN only SEN Lounge should not be one of it. All *G are created equal, yet some *G are more equal than others.
behuman, hugolover, Lefly and 2 others like this.

Last edited by oliver2002; Sep 29, 2021 at 1:28 am Reason: no animated gif please
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by Nick Art
While I get that there are some programs where one can achieve *G extremly easily, that surely doesn't make up the majority of *G visiting lounges and punishing all of them for it would surely be wrong. I'm based in ZRH and am a SK *G, and I admit, I probably wouldn't make it to SEN with my flying patern, yet I still spend a not unsignificant amount of money on LX and LH flights. And just to put the whole thing in reference: If you want to optimize, achieving SEN is possible by spending as little as 5k $ (two F partner special roundtrips) and my flights to achieve *G with SK aren't exactly cheaper than that. SEN already have some exclusive beneifts and a SEN only SEN Lounge should not be one of it. All *G are created equal, yet some *G are more equal than others.
I'll add to that that it's not at all super easy to gain these "easy" *G if you fly LHG a lot. The earnings for A3 especially, but also TK are laughable. There's J fares that earn 0.
And, well, if you fly those airlines more, then you are not exactly abusing LH *G privileges are you?
yurtripper and Nick Art like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:47 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I don't have conviction on this other than to say I always thought it awkward that a business class passenger could use the business lounge and not the SEN lounge, but that a Star Gold passenger could use the SEN lounge.

It's like the airline treats elites of other airlines better* than people who simply paid more money to the airline.

*The SEN lounge is only marginally better, if at all, hang the business lounge, but you get my point.
behuman and AlicorporateUK like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by sophialite
I always thought it awkward that a business class passenger could use the business lounge and not the SEN lounge, but that a Star Gold passenger could use the SEN lounge.
It's like the airline treats elites of other airlines better* than people who simply paid more money to the airline.

You name it: *G should be relegated too C lounges or even inferior ones at least at the LH group main hubs. SQ got it very right with the inferior Krisflyer Gold lounge in SIN.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:52 am

You name it: *G should be relegated too C lounges or even inferior ones at least at the LH group main hubs.
I'd love to see the announcement "LH Group will create punishment lounges for non-miles and more status customers. Attendance to the lounge is mandatory for all passengers traveling in class J and below."

SQ got it very right with the inferior Krisflyer Gold lounge in SIN.
So right that they are now building a new one with showers in T3.

For reference, I think the SKL lounge is not much better than the KFG one, barring the showers.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: LX SEN
As stated by Nick Art, allowing *G in LH group lounges is a profitable business. LH has an incentive to attract *G in lounges and even more in SEN lounges, as I understand that LH managed to negotiate with *G partners more revenue from a *G passenger entering a SEN than a C lounge.

The fact that certain airlines offer *G too easily is not an issue as far as LH is concerned, as such airlines bear the cost of their passengers entering LH group lounges.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:47 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I don't think anyone is disputing the way things are. People ITT are just arguing about the way things "should be."

Not the biggest fan of SQ's lounges, even TPR, so I've never formed an opinion on whether their strategy is right or wrong. Maybe they'll be better post-renovation?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
You name it: *G should be relegated too C lounges or even inferior ones at least at the LH group main hubs. SQ got it very right with the inferior Krisflyer Gold lounge in SIN.
I disagree. The KF Gold lounge in SIN is so crummy that the SATS lounge is preferable - and remember, that's for their own elites too (but PPS gets you into Kris Silver).
Is your argument that lounges for *G (even *G in the airline's own program) should be made worse than contract lounges? Because that's what SQ managed at SIN.
hugolover likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Actually, I will feed back about the Lufthansa lounge at Malpensa airport this morning, following my visit before my Air Dolomiti flight at 06h50. It was quite pleasant and quiet, with few people. The breakfast offering was decent, with croissants, pains au chocolat and filled sandwiches. Food, coffee and other drinks were served to you, a system I personally quite like.

Entry to the lounge

Food selection

Seating area with fake library facade

Last edited by Concerto; Sep 23, 2021 at 2:19 pm
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was in Milan for the climate emergency conference- Greta's amazing speech. I can provide a little input of my own for lunch/dinner:

If you're used to carbs then you should be fine as the amount of protein is severely limited. Just a "veg" pasta dish, some salad, and what pastries were left from breakfast. Sandwiches with a slither of salami.

It is really a fraction of what was on offer before.

One weird thing was the continuation of the 3 drink policy, you can have as much beer as you want, but not Spritz and the Spritz are a bit watery. Everything is served by the staff, no food or drinks are out, and therefore the beer taps, fountains are turned off.

All in all its fine as a Business Lounge, which I guess, is all it is. It's just a FTL lounge.

Before CV19 I found the landslide lounge very good, operated by the airport and open to PP, as well as AF P and SU C/Status pax as a checkin facility. I didn't have an opportunity to go back there this time.
Lefly likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.