LOT airlines flex ticket cancellation lifehack. Will it work?

Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

LOT airlines flex ticket cancellation lifehack. Will it work?

I was originally looking to buy one way ticket SZZ (poland) -> LAX january 2020, so I could come back home after the christmas break.The price was about $750. However when you select "round trip" and choose a random date in the future as your return suddenly the first flight, very same flight SZZ - LAX is only $450 and the return flight could be as low as $350 for some dates. So going one way is nearly the same price as going both ways. Its also possible to select different type of fare for depart and return. So its possible to buy a FLEX ticket for just the return portion of the round trip. Now my plan is to book roundtrip, get on the departing flight as planned and then sometime in the future cancel the FLEX return and get my money back. Will this work? That way I will pay only $450 to come back home instead of the original $750. Its me and my wife travelling so it would be about $600 of savings in total. Can anybody confirm this?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Many things could go wrong with this plan. Firstly, some airlines operate that the most restrictive fare's rules apply to the whole ticket. Secondly, LOT may reprice your ticket as a one way meaning you get little back (taxes excluded). Thirdly, what's the change fee if you did this? Many times it eats up most of any difference.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Many things could go wrong with this plan. Firstly, some airlines operate that the most restrictive fare's rules apply to the whole ticket. Secondly, LOT may reprice your ticket as a one way meaning you get little back (taxes excluded). Thirdly, what's the change fee if you did this? Many times it eats up most of any difference.
Its a FLEX ticket so there is no change fee. At least according to the disclosures during checkout process. They have a separate set of rules written for depart and return ($200 cancel fee for economy depart and no fees for return since its flex). It seems like they treat it separately. I was thinking the worst that might happen is, like you said, they will recalculate the price and ill just end up paying what I would in the first place. If I never checked the price for one-way trip and knew this before hand I would definitely dispute with my credit card if that happened. Actually I will probably record the checkout process and dispute with my cc anyway if they try to pull anything. What stupid system is that anyway? I just realized it but it happens with every European carrier. LOT is the mildest case, most of them are straight up cheaper for both flights vs one and sometimes by thousands of dollars.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:13 pm

You can get the money for your inbound portion back but before they will reprice the outbound part as a oneway ticket and THAT will not only eat all the savings you‘ve made on the cancellation but quite a bit more.
Your CC company won‘t help you because you‘ve agreed to that very rules when buying the ticket.
This question has been ask here over and over and over but as of today not a single claim of success has been reported yet.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by red star
You can get the money for your inbound portion back but before they will reprice the outbound part as a oneway ticket and THAT will not only eat all the savings you‘ve made on the cancellation but quite a bit more.
Your CC company won‘t help you because you‘ve agreed to that very rules when buying the ticket.
This question has been ask here over and over and over but as of today not a single claim of success has been reported yet.
Sucks! What if I wait until around a month before the return flight and reschedule for next year? Then maybe I would actually use it. Are there any known limits I should be aware of?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Almost all plane tickets become invalid after a year, and normally any such credits remaining from a previous ticket must also be used within a year.

You might be able to *guess* a cheap date at which you could use the return portion of your RT and try to change it later (probably paying a change fee) to a date that's better for you, with the idea of just throwing it away if it can't be changed to something you can use.

However, if your trip is starting in Poland, you should be aware that many exEurope fares (including even discounted business class fares) require that the ticket be flown exactly as written or it loses all value, so be very careful that you're interpreting fare rules correctly.

FLEX might not mean fully flexible with no fees just like refundable is not the same as fully refundable without a fee.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:06 pm

If the ticket does not carry time restrictions (many cheaper tariffs do eg 60 or 90 days) the return is valid 365 days from departure. So you might be able to rebook within this 365 days but the fare rules are setting the limits. That can be: no change possible, involving a change fee, this and an upfare to the availible fare bucket, applying the most restrictive rules within the ticket for all of the ticket .... and so on. I wouldn‘t do it by myself, use a good TA for something like that.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @polishPaul.

Please follow the redirect as we relocate your query.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.