Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ordering LH ticket in Canada- questions?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Ordering LH ticket in Canada- questions?

I purchased a Z class business class ticket from VIE-BCN return, in late Sept/early Oct.

Issue 1.

I saw certain prices on google flights.
One was a price if ticket bought through LH directly.
(this price was confirmed when I was directed to the LH web site).

Second price were about 15-20% higher if booked through listed ?on-line travel agencies.

So I went to AMEX (Platinum) travel agent - she could only get me the higher price listed with the above travel agencies.

I thought the travel agent could book the lower price, if going to the LH web site and booking as a travel agent?
But apparently, she booked through a travel booking software - which gives her the higher price?

Issue 2.

I booked through the LH telephone reservation agent based at a call centre (center) in Manila.
I could get a the price charged in Canadian dollars.

Advantage of telephone booking over on-line booking - charge of ticket in Canadian dollars - I have credit cards that charge 2.5% conversion fee if booked in foreign currency - which is all the LH web site could give me (charge in euros). Disadvantage of telephone booking - there is a US$20 charge for using such as agent (FYI - AC does not charge extra for booking via the agent vs online; although Air Canada's FFP Aeroplan does charge an extra fee if booking over the phone vs on-line).

So is there any way of paying for the ticket in my own (country's) currency if booking on-line?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
it is extremely unusual to see a 15-20% price difference. Can you share sample dates? Wanting specific pricing and POS in another country that can be tricky. Did you try to book this through e.g. Expedia.ca?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
LH website is booking based on CoD (Country of departure) and in the respective currency of the CoD. The credit card will always be charged with this currency. Online there is no other way.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Here is the copied page (I was having trouble putting a screen shot):
Unless otherwise specified, the dollars are in Canadian currency.

Round trip
Business Class
ViennaBarcelona
Total price from
$1,062
Selected flights

1. Fri, 27 Sep
    08:10 – 13:05
    Austrian, Lufthansa
    4 h 55 m
    VIE–BCN
    1 stop
    1 h 25 m FRA

2. Tue, 1 Oct
    13:45 – 18:00
    Lufthansa, Austrian
    4 h 15 m
    BCN–VIE
    1 stop
    1 h 15 m MUC
Booking options
AdsGoogle may be compensated by some of these providers.
Book with Lufthansa
Marketed as LH 6385, LH 1130, LH 2657, LH 6374

€716 ; $1,062

;
Book with FlightNetwork
; $1,237

Book with CheapOair
CAD$1,237
US$937
Total price includes taxes + fees for 1 adult. Additional bag fees and other fees may apply.

Last edited by FlyerGoldII; Aug 5, 2019 at 9:02 pm
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by athome
LH website is booking based on CoD (Country of departure) and in the respective currency of the CoD. The credit card will always be charged with this currency. Online there is no other way.
The web site should allow purchase based on country of purchase. I believe AC and many of the US carriers offer this option.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
The web site should allow purchase based on country of purchase. I believe AC and many of the US carriers offer this option.
Not LH.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by athome
Not LH.
Does that apply to North America - ie buying ticket with US departure from Canada or vice versa? - can one get ticket purchased in currency of country of purchase?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some airlines have special web only fares that must be booked through the carrier's own website.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:03 pm

One simple solution would be to book with an OTA such as expedia.ca - all billing would be in CAD but you may end up with higher prices (same as what Amex Platinum wants).
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: LH HON
Also, Google always puts you in the lowest fare type (non flex etc) - could this explain your difference?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daumueller
Also, Google always puts you in the lowest fare type (non flex etc) - could this explain your difference?

AMEX was guoting the higher of the 2 fares (displayed by google flights) for Z class - so I booked directly by calling the LH reservations toll-free number and getting the lower Z class fare - yes, I had to pay a US$20 telephone reservation booking fee, but I saved on the currency exchange fee of 2.5% that my Canadian AMEX Platinum card charges.

The question is why could AMEX not book directly on-line via the travel agent's web site for LH - the lower LH fare?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
AMEX was guoting the higher of the 2 fares (displayed by google flights) for Z class - so I booked directly by calling the LH reservations toll-free number and getting the lower Z class fare - yes, I had to pay a US$20 telephone reservation booking fee, but I saved on the currency exchange fee of 2.5% that my Canadian AMEX Platinum card charges.
(bolding mine)

Are you sure about that? I don't expect LH to apply the interbank FX rate. You probably just paid a certain percentage to LH for the conversion...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.