FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   M&M systems down, need to book an urgent trip (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1981634-m-m-systems-down-need-book-urgent-trip.html)

Rabaja Aug 2, 19 10:55 am

M&M systems down, need to book an urgent trip

The M&M call center doesn't have access to their systems either. This always happens at the worst time. I have to go from SFO to Germany today due to a family emergency and I'd rather use my miles than pay $23k for a (return) seat in F or $11k in J. How close to departure is it possible to book an award ticket?

chris63 Aug 2, 19 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Rabaja (Post 31371048)
The M&M call center doesn't have access to their systems either. This always happens at the worst time. I have to go from SFO to Germany today due to a family emergency and I'd rather use my miles than pay $23k for a (return) seat in F or $11k in J. How close to departure is it possible to book an award ticket?

Sorry to hear, did you explain the nature of the emergency to the call centre ? They can book any ticket they are able to ticket before the flight IME.

sophialite Aug 2, 19 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Rabaja (Post 31371048)

They can book it but availability is another issue. SFO-FRA/MUC/ZUR will be difficult to nab in F or J on 24 hours notice. Just pay cash for economy if it's a true emergency.

Rabaja Aug 2, 19 11:34 am

Thank you to both of you for the quick reply. I called the first service hotline in the US: their systems are down completely. They can't even sell me a ticket. Their recommendation: go to the airport and try to book a ticket there (award or cash) - sometimes their systems are working even when the central system is down. I will do that if the main system doesn't reboot soon.

sophialite Aug 2, 19 11:42 am

If it's a true emergency, book the ticket in Y in cash. If you manage to get the ticket if F or J on points, then cancel the Y ticket. But at a minimum you'll be on the flight.

Ziegenhorn Aug 2, 19 11:45 am

Still down - almost the whole day now.

Rabaja Aug 2, 19 5:11 pm

Quick update: called the service center again. Systems still down but HON team was able to manually make an award booking in F for me - very much appreciated, particularly since I’m a plebejan FTL. But they couldn’t ticket the reservation due to the system outage - told me airport would be able to do it. LH SFO airport counter told me they couldn’t issue ticket - my reservation was cancelled. I called the service center again - they told me ticket had just been issued. Same LH check in person that told me there is nothing she could do then gave me boarding pass. All this 50 min before departure. A bit of a roller coaster but I’m off to FRA in 1D. Quick question: what’s the best way to connect in FRA? My connection is to FMO, which I recall is typically from an apron position. Do I go to the FCL in the arriving terminal, clear immigrations there, and then walk to the connecting gate?

Rabaja Aug 2, 19 5:16 pm

Should clarify: I called the first class service center and someone from the HON team answered the phone. I neither have nor dialed the HON line. Thank you everyone for your comments - very helpful.

MichielR Aug 3, 19 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Rabaja (Post 31372528)
Quick update: called the service center again. Systems still down but HON team was able to manually make an award booking in F for me - very much appreciated, particularly since Iím a plebejan FTL. But they couldnít ticket the reservation due to the system outage - told me airport would be able to do it. LH SFO airport counter told me they couldnít issue ticket - my reservation was cancelled. I called the service center again - they told me ticket had just been issued. Same LH check in person that told me there is nothing she could do then gave me boarding pass. All this 50 min before departure. A bit of a roller coaster but Iím off to FRA in 1D. Quick question: whatís the best way to connect in FRA? My connection is to FMO, which I recall is typically from an apron position. Do I go to the FCL in the arriving terminal, clear immigrations there, and then walk to the connecting gate?

Good to hear you got it sorted and sorry to hear about your family emergency.

FCL A is easiest for your layover. Car to your connecting flight if it has an apron position, walk on your own if at an A gate. If you fancy fresh air and a short walk then the FCT, which involves an extra security check but a very civilized one.

chris63 Aug 3, 19 1:56 am

Originally Posted by MichielR (Post 31373371)

Good to hear you got it sorted and sorry to hear about your family emergency.

FCL A is easiest for your layover. Car to your connecting flight if it has an apron position, walk on your own if at an A gate. If you fancy fresh air and a short walk then the FCT, which involves an extra security check but a very civilized one.

+ 1 ^

Rabaja Aug 3, 19 5:58 am

Thank you everyone for your tips and comments. Very much appreciated. This all went swimmingly. Am sitting in FCL A in FRA and will be driven to my connecting flight shortly. I’ve had my share of issues with LH over the years and am sure that goes for most of you as well . But most of them were minor and they pulled through this time when it really mattered - a fantastic call center agent who made things work during a systems outage plus perhaps a dose of luck. That is way more important than whether they serve Krug or Dom and makes me a loyal customer.

chris63 Aug 3, 19 8:58 am

Originally Posted by sophialite (Post 31374147)

My bad. He called the first class line despite not having a first class ticket. Different offense but largely the same.

He would have had a F ticket if the website had been working, no offence whatsoever

sophialite Aug 3, 19 10:09 am

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 31374240)

He would have had a F ticket if the website had been working, no offence whatsoever

Oh so the F line is for people with F tix and people thinking of buying F tix. Got it.

chris63 Aug 3, 19 10:25 am

Originally Posted by sophialite (Post 31374439)

Oh so the F line is for people with F tix and people thinking of buying F tix. Got it.

So, you donít get the fact that the OP was unable to buy a F ticket or O award online, hardly the OPís fault & kudos to him for reaching out to the F line & that worked ^

This is in no way someone trying to line jump or breach rules, just acting prudently in an urgent situation where the normal LH & M&M chanels were unavailable

Miles are hard earned & entirely understandable he wants to use them the best way he can, thatís in the spirit of FT.

chris63 Aug 3, 19 11:17 am

Originally Posted by athome (Post 31373901)

I assume the call center would be capable to sort it out, if a FTL calls the HON service without any good reason.

Absolutely correct, the HON service call centre or First Class hotline wouldnít hesitate to terminate an inappropriate incoming call, they have quite enough to do with the appropriate ones ;)