FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Corp TA issued: UA ticketed / codeshared LH flights question. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1981521-corp-ta-issued-ua-ticketed-codeshared-lh-flights-question.html)

AvidFlyer1990 Aug 4, 2019 5:15 am

Corp TA issued: UA ticketed / codeshared LH flights question.

I normally book all my flights, work or leisure, on my own, and this is the first time a Corp TA has issued the ticket for me, so have a few questions:

For reference, I am a lifetime *G.

1. My name appears as Lastname / Firstnamemr (the title is clubbed with my first name), on this ticket. However, in the past, when I made the reservation directly on the LH site, it normally was LASTNAME / FIRSTNAME MR (space between first name and title).
i. Will this format of Lastname / Firstnamemr cause any problems while checking in? I have read reports that it should not, but thought I will get it confirmed from some of LH's top FF'ers and fellow FT'ers. :)
ii. Will this format cause problems for miles accrual and getting my *G benefits? Will I still get XX*G designation on my BP?

2. This would be my first LH longhaul in economy: 4 longhaul flights, and only one of them in Premium Economy. I currently have an offer of around $750 to upgrade the remaining legs to Premium Economy (and this amount is almost same as if I were to choose the extra legroom seats (exit seats)). I believe it is a pretty decent offer, considering the length of the journey. Have the following questions:

i. If I do upgrade, will the mileage earning be of the upgraded class (Premium Economy in G,E, or N)?
ii. If my corporate TA were to check, will it be possible to for them to see if I had done a paid upgrade (this is just for information).

3. I believe since this is UA ticketed, I could see Premium Economy as being fare class 'A' on the LH site. I believe it still maps to 'N', and that I will not be earning the 200% - 300% miles or getting the super-comfy beds that comes with 'A' fare?

Any advice to survive a 24 hour long-haul journey in LH economy?

Your answers and help are much appreciated!

P.S.: Mods, if these questions have been asked before, please do merge this. Thanks!

MichielR Aug 4, 2019 5:32 am

The name should not be a problem.

Many people survive 24 h in economy on a daily basis. Otherwise it would have been outlawed I’d imagine - still the best way to survive Y is to upgrade yourself out of it. It all depends on your financial situation and overall schedule of course. If I was expected to go straight into a meeting after arrival it would be a no brainer. If on the other hand you have an extra day to recover and your employer puts you in a decent hotel then it might be different.

AvidFlyer1990 Aug 4, 2019 5:41 am

Originally Posted by MichielR (Post 31377118)
The name should not be a problem.

Perfect! Thanks. I believe I'd still be getting all my *G benefits and the miles associated with this itinerary (and the XX*G on my BP so that I can access the benefits and the lounges)?

Often1 Aug 4, 2019 6:19 am

As to whether your corporate TA will find out that you have upgraded, the answer is yes. Whether and what they do with that information is up to your employer. Presuming that your employer's concern is how much it pays, not what you choose to pay on your own, this is irrelevant. If for some reason your employer has a policy against premium travel no matter how paid, then you have an issue with your employer.

AvidFlyer1990 Aug 4, 2019 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31377224)
As to whether your corporate TA will find out that you have upgraded, the answer is yes. Whether and what they do with that information is up to your employer. Presuming that your employer's concern is how much it pays, not what you choose to pay on your own, this is irrelevant. If for some reason your employer has a policy against premium travel no matter how paid, then you have an issue with your employer.

Aah...That's what I figured. Policy against company sponsored premium travel: not sure about upgrading on personal dime.

sophialite Aug 4, 2019 7:02 am

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990 (Post 31377320)
Aah...That's what I figured. Policy against company sponsored premium travel: not sure about upgrading on personal dime.

That's interesting. I always upgrade my tickets out of pocket, and actively disclosed when I've done so. It's been fine so far, but every organization is different.

(I'm also generally opposed to companies paying for first class or private jets. I suppose I could justify the latter if one could demonstrate the time savings and how much their time is worth. But first class makes no sense in my opinion)

sophialite Aug 4, 2019 8:03 am

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 31377400)

Thats interesting ... So why do you fly F ?

It's rarely the case that F is more than $1k-$2k more expensive than the J tickets I'm buying because by the time my trip is certain prices are already so high and the routes I fly tend to be more expensive in general ($8k is pretty standard for EU-CA in J closed in).

Yes the better seat, food, ground experience, etc. is worth it. But I also view it as buying more frequent flier miles and HON Circle miles. The latter of which cannot otherwise be purchased, and the former are hard to come by because it's not easy to gather miles without flying (unlike say SQ).

So, economically and based on comfort, makes sense.

AvidFlyer1990 Aug 4, 2019 8:44 am

Originally Posted by sophialite (Post 31377509)

It's rarely the case that F is more than $1k-$2k more expensive than the J tickets I'm buying because by the time my trip is certain prices are already so high and the routes I fly tend to be more expensive in general ($8k is pretty standard for EU-CA in J closed in).

Yes the better seat, food, ground experience, etc. is worth it. But I also view it as buying more frequent flier miles and HON Circle miles. The latter of which cannot otherwise be purchased, and the former are hard to come by because it's not easy to gather miles without flying (unlike say SQ).

So, economically and based on comfort, makes sense.

That's interesting: if I may ask, how do you go about doing it? Right now, I have the option to upgrade this itinerary to all Premium Economy by paying ~$750 (and one out of 4 legs is already in Premium Economy), online on my itinerary. Just wondering if I should bite the bullet and go for it? Does the ticket get re-issued to reflect the new booking class / code, and thereby garnering the RDMs / PQMs for the new booking class, or does the underlying fare-basis stay the same?

MSPeconomist Aug 4, 2019 10:37 am

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990 (Post 31377320)

Then why does your current ticket have one segment in premium economy?

Also, I'm guessing that this caused a broken fare, so rewriting the ticket to be all premium economy might not be so expensive.

AvidFlyer1990 Aug 4, 2019 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31378054)
Then why does your current ticket have one segment in premium economy?

Also, I'm guessing that this caused a broken fare, so rewriting the ticket to be all premium economy might not be so expensive.

This was actually on my request, when I showed to the Corp TA that booking it this way (including a full-fare Y segment and a Premium Economy segment) was significantly cheaper than an all Y itinerary. And this required additional approvals, which is why I am a little hesitant upgrading even on my own dime (and hence my original question).

oliver2002 Aug 5, 2019 1:47 am

The cash upgrade in advance no longer reissues the underlying ticket, they change the booking class and add a EMD receipt that your paid to upgrade. Bidding for upgrade used to reissue the ticket, I'm not so sure anymore. Upgrading at checkin doesn't do anything to the ticket or the reservation, they just reseat you and account for it differently in the checkin system. In the first two case your corporate TA as owner of the ticket and the reservation will get a change notification, but I doubt they will inform the employer to fire up the electric chair.

The name translation into the LH PNR is often confusing, the missing space between MR never matters.

PE on UA is booked into U/A/R which maps into G/E/N at LH.

AvidFlyer1990 Aug 5, 2019 2:57 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 31380370)
The cash upgrade in advance no longer reissues the underlying ticket, they change the booking class and add a EMD receipt that your paid to upgrade. Bidding for upgrade used to reissue the ticket, I'm not so sure anymore. Upgrading at checkin doesn't do anything to the ticket or the reservation, they just reseat you and account for it differently in the checkin system. In the first two case your corporate TA as owner of the ticket and the reservation will get a change notification, but I doubt they will inform the employer to fire up the electric chair.

The name translation into the LH PNR is often confusing, the missing space between MR never matters.

PE on UA is booked into U/A/R which maps into G/E/N at LH.

Thanks @oliver2002 . This info is much appreciated!

Do you get check-in offers online, or is it just the airport check-in? Also, I believe upgrading at check-in does not trigger the change notification? Thanks again.

oliver2002 Aug 5, 2019 3:03 am

I don't remember seeing any offers to upgrade with cash during online checkin, but I get offers with miles. Upgrading at checkin only reseats you in a different cabin. No annotation to the booking.

AvidFlyer1990 Aug 5, 2019 3:09 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 31380496)
I don't remember seeing any offers to upgrade with cash during online checkin, but I get offers with miles. Upgrading at checkin only reseats you in a different cabin. No annotation to the booking.

Perfect! Thanks again, @oliver2002 .