Missed Connection - EU261 Compensation

Old Aug 1, 19, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
Missed Connection - EU261 Compensation

My daughter and boyfriend were flying EWR-FRA-RAK on Jul. 31. LH403 was delayed arriving into FRA over 1 hr at 8:40AM, so they missed connection on LH1332 to RAK departing at 9.05AM. LH rebooked them on Royal Air Maroc departing at 18:40 on Aug. 1, over night at Casablanca and scheduled to arrive into Marrakech at 9:50 AM Aug. 2, about 22 hours later than original schedule.

There was thunderstorm in EWR afternoon of Jul. 31, so weather will most likely be reason given for the delayed departure from EWR and delayed arrival into FRA. Is this a case of "extraordinary circumstances" thus no compensation under EU261?

Obviously my daughter is out of the one night airbnb for Aug. 1 in Marrakech, plus the excursion she had booked for them on Aug. 2. Airline tickets were purchased through Chase travel portal with Chase Sapphire Reserve which as travel insurance coverage of some kind.

I have never encountered this type of situation involving EU airlines so I am seeking advice.
Old Aug 1, 19, 9:13 am

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
If Weather was the reason for the delayed departure it is not LHs fault & then EU261 compensation is not due.
For these circumstances one needs travel insurance
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Aug 2, 19, 2:46 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
This is indeed extraordinary circumstances exempting LH from paying compensation under the EU scheme/regulation. LH is still under a duty of care and will provide for the hotel and reasonable meals until they arrive RAK.

Your daughter is not out on the Airbnb night - LH paid for the hotel in Casablanca right? (or will at least reimburse the incurred expenses (hotel and meals at Casablanca) upon request - just send the receipts to LH for reimbursement) Your daughter is not entitled to reimbursement on the Airbnb night as these expenses would have been incurred anyway - that would be double dipping.
Old Aug 2, 19, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. I figured weather will trump everything. I instructed my daughter to keep all receipts and file claim with LH afterwards.

Saga continues as 1 of 2 checked bags did not arrive in Marrakech. After baggage claim guy initial refusal to file claim report, my daughter went back to the airport and had the guy file a missing bag report. Flight disruptions can be a royal pain in the butt.
Old Aug 2, 19, 8:13 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Use CSR insurance for both delay and baggage insurance
chris63 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 19, 11:07 am

Programs: Many
Question here, similar.

gf was on EWR-FRA UA flight; left late due to operational reasons, missed her 1240pm Lufthansa connection as a result. Rebooked LH 440pm, cancelled. Still waiting to get out. All LH worldwide computer systems down and many flights canceled.
Old Aug 2, 19, 2:12 pm

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
EWR-FRA: no com. Non-EU carrier flying from outside the EU (only from EU to out is covered).

LH cancellation: Maybe, depends on the reason for cancellation. LH computer system might get compensation. If there is other reason (weather?), no comp.
Old Aug 2, 19, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu View Post
Use CSR insurance for both delay and baggage insurance
I've instructed my daughter to keep all receipts to file claim with CSR. I am not holding my breath on LH finding her bag anytime soon. So may have to file lost baggage with LH as well.

Search this Thread