Wiki Posts
Search

Austrian rebooking fee

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M Senator, IHG Spire Elite
Austrian rebooking fee

Based on regulation and law Austrian did everything what was supposed to be done. However, I would like to check, if somebody had similar experience and was able to get better compensation/treatment.

I had flight OPO-GVA-VIE on 7.7.2019 and on separate ticket flight VIE-ZRH on 8.7.2019. Leg GVA-VIE was cancelled due to bad weather, re-routing happened only next day around lunch time, therefore I needed to reschedule also morning flight VIE-ZRH. I was charged 175€ for rebooking and I asked for waiving this fee for a reason:
  • all 3 flights are ticketed and operated by the same airlines - Austrian
  • the reason why I need to reschedule the flight is Austrian failing bring me home day before
  • as a Senator I am soending enough money so waiving the fee would be gesture to frequent traveler
  • there was not support from ground staff in GVA and handling of this situation was complete disaster

I send a feedback form with this request which was handled by copy paste answer and closing a case, I tried to answer and it was rejected 2nd time, when calling to line, they told me to ask 3rd time if I don´t agree with resolution, but the case was again rejected.

Am I foolish to believe there is option to waive the fee in this situation to enhance customer satisfaction or should I try to reply again? Or is there any other way how to bring this to attebtion of somebody who can decide, not only regular staff who automaticaly rejects all requests?

Thanks for help.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
OS should have waived the fee IMO, since the requirement was down to them not getting you there ontime, especially so as SEN, check your travel insurance for missed departure claim
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:36 am
Original Poster

That what I would expect, as they are ticketing and operating airline, so they dont have any real expense on their side.

I checked for my travel insurance and they said it is between me and airline. :-/
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Braniq
That what I would expect, as they are ticketing and operating airline, so they dont have any real expense on their side.

I checked for my travel insurance and they said it is between me and airline. :-/
It’s also what I would expect, escalate the complaint with OS, shame them on Twitter, I wouldn’t let it go & if you receive a final response from OS, you paid your travel insurance to deal with that.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Would it have made sense to declare trip in vane in GVA, get a refund for the remainder of that ticket, take train (or nonstop flight) to ZRH, and then cancel or reschedule the VIE-ZRH flight (although it it's a RT ticket you risk having the return portion cancelled if you're considered a no show)?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Would it have made sense to declare trip in vane in GVA, get a refund for the remainder of that ticket, take train (or nonstop flight) to ZRH, and then cancel or reschedule the VIE-ZRH flight (although it it's a RT ticket you risk having the return portion cancelled if you're considered a no show)?
Unfortunately not, I have been returning from vacation in T-shirt and shorts home and Monday morning flying for business trip...
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris63

It’s also what I would expect, escalate the complaint with OS, shame them on Twitter, I wouldn’t let it go & if you receive a final response from OS, you paid your travel insurance to deal with that.
Well, the reason here was to ask if somebody has idea how to escalate. When I tried to call to department handling complaints, nice friendly lady told me: I cant do anything for you as this case is handled by colleague, you need to reply to his mail and ask him to discuss this topic with supervisor. Did it and got rejected 3rd time. They feel sorry about the situation, but will not waive the fee as it is calculated by the system. (!) Such an argument. Mail ended with hope it will not change anything and I will continue fly Austrian.

Tweeted to Austrian, their CEO and Miles and more today, but I am not sure if it will help...
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Legally it is the OPs problem. He had two different contracts with OS, which are not at all connected. One for OPO - VIE and another one for VIE - ZRH. If he has to rebook the VIE - ZRH flight, because of what ever reason, this is his problem.
There is no compensation based on EU 261/04, as the delay was due to weather.
Perhaps OS could be a bit more accommodating, but that's pure goodwill. Being SEN shouldn't make a difference.

Last edited by athome; Jul 31, 2019 at 6:03 pm
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by Braniq

Well, the reason here was to ask if somebody has idea how to escalate. When I tried to call to department handling complaints, nice friendly lady told me: I cant do anything for you as this case is handled by colleague, you need to reply to his mail and ask him to discuss this topic with supervisor. Did it and got rejected 3rd time. They feel sorry about the situation, but will not waive the fee as it is calculated by the system. (!) Such an argument. Mail ended with hope it will not change anything and I will continue fly Austrian.

Tweeted to Austrian, their CEO and Miles and more today, but I am not sure if it will help...
Tweet
I would call the president of Austria to escalate because of 175 Euro! 😉
And if Austria is also not willing to pay for the unfounded amount, I would force the president of the country where I hold citizenship, to declare war to Austria. 🤣
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by athome
I would call the president of Austria to escalate because of 175 Euro! 😉
And if Austria is also not willing to pay for the unfounded amount, I would force the president of the country where I hold citizenship, to declare war to Austria. 🤣
I guess you watched a re-run of "The mouse that roared" the other day...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.