Same-day flight changes on Lufthansa

Old Jul 19, 19, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Same-day flight changes on Lufthansa

I'm traveling on Lufthansa next month from Europe to the USA with two stops (and two long layovers), and I was wondering what their same-day change policy was. I'm Star Alliance Gold through United, flying in Economy, fare class L. Our first two legs, changing in Munich and then Charlotte, are on Lufthansa, and our last leg is domestic on United. Ideally, we'd want to try to rebook onto a direct flight home to the US from Munich.

Not the end of the world if we're stuck with our current itinerary, but just so I know what to expect. Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 19, 11:11 am

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by oat327 View Post
I'm traveling on Lufthansa next month from Europe to the USA with two stops (and two long layovers), and I was wondering what their same-day change policy was. I'm Star Alliance Gold through United, flying in Economy, fare class L. Our first two legs, changing in Munich and then Charlotte, are on Lufthansa, and our last leg is domestic on United. Ideally, we'd want to try to rebook onto a direct flight home to the US from Munich.

Not the end of the world if we're stuck with our current itinerary, but just so I know what to expect. Thanks!
Not a chance unless the flight you are booked on is overbooked & that’s very unlikely with LH.
Old Jul 19, 19, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, LH SEN, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by oat327 View Post

You will only be able to change per the rules of your ticket, most likely for a fee. The only exception would be significant flight delays on the day of travel or overbooking situations (unlikely). Lufthansa does not allow same day changes like some carriers allow for domestic travel, although Lufthansa has introduced some fares that allow same day changes, but I have not seen them on transatlantic flights.
Old Jul 19, 19, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Too bad! Was hoping they had a policy more like United—thanks for the help!
Old Jul 19, 19, 8:22 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; GHA Black; IHG Gold; Avis PresClub
As far as I am aware, United is much more flexible, but does not allow a change from a IAH - EWR - FRA flight to IAH - FRA at the day of departure on a cheap, restricted Y-fare neither.
Old Jul 20, 19, 3:51 am

Programs: Milage Plus 1K, Marriot Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Moin!

Originally Posted by athome View Post
As far as I am aware, United is much more flexible, but does not allow a change from a IAH - EWR - FRA flight to IAH - FRA at the day of departure on a cheap, restricted Y-fare neither.
They actually allow that if the same booking class is still available, and if the flight has space they open up even cheap booking classes close to departure. I used that for mile optimisation sometimes. There is a wiki on the exact rules at:

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki)

So long
-Ralf

now of course it is only free to their status members (Gold and above).

Search this Thread