Personal item width

Old Jul 19, 19, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Personal item width

I know LH can be a PITA about the weight and size for the carry on, but are they also strict about the width of the personal item? Unfortunately, very few of my handbags are less than 10 cm wide (most are 13-18 cm). Do they break out the sizer for this bag? I assume I could crush a 13-14 cm bag into a 10 cm slot fairly easily. My carry-on bag will be right at the size limit (55 cm), but under 8 kg, so I am expecting them to call me out on that, regardless.

I tried a search, but I came up with way too many unrelated posts. Feel free to move this to a related thread if necessary.
Old Jul 19, 19, 10:29 am

Programs: LH FT, AA Plat
Originally Posted by downinit View Post
I assume I could crush a 13-14 cm bag into a 10 cm slot fairly easily.
LOL. Priceless post.
Old Jul 19, 19, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by downinit View Post
I know LH can be a PITA about the weight and size for the carry on, but are they also strict about the width of the personal item? Unfortunately, very few of my handbags are less than 10 cm wide (most are 13-18 cm). Do they break out the sizer for this bag? I assume I could crush a 13-14 cm bag into a 10 cm slot fairly easily. My carry-on bag will be right at the size limit (55 cm), but under 8 kg, so I am expecting them to call me out on that, regardless.
Not to worry, I always travel with a backpack, laptop bag or messenger back which for sure is wider than 10cm as personal item in addition to the cabin roller. As long as it will fit under the seat in front of you, nobody will challenge you on the personal item. At least according to my hundreds of flight on various *A with a good amount of LH over the years.

They sometimes challenge on the carry-on size and weight but as you said... you're covered theree.
downinit and mmff like this.
Old Jul 19, 19, 4:39 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Same here, my personal item is 12/13 instead of 10 and I never had an issue.

BTW, I did some research and there does not seem to be a bag in the world that has exactly the dimensions of the LH personal item. Any company that wants to produces that? Donít forget you heard it here first and I would have some ideas.
chris63, Internaut, mmff and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread