Alcohol from iah to fra

Old Jul 18, 19, 5:12 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Programs: hhonors
Posts: 91
Alcohol from an to fra

searched the forums and found old info. We are flying in ecomony plus nonstop from iah to fra. Is there free wine or vodka during the flight? I was planning to bring a couple of small bottles but realize that you cannot pour your own drink or am I wrong?
tantuti is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 5:57 pm
  #2  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Programs: hhonors
Posts: 91
Alcohol from iah to fra

searched the forums and found old info. We are flying in ecomony plus nonstop from iah to fra. Is there free wine or vodka during the flight? I was planning to bring a couple of small bottles but realize that you cannot pour your own drink or am I wrong?
tantuti is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 9:20 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Singapore, Singapore
Programs: LH HON, Sixt Diamond
Posts: 147
Lufthansa serves alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages in all travel classes.
Ziegenhorn is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 11:24 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 3,039
To answer your second question: you are not allowed to pour your own alcohol.
worldclubber is offline  
Old Jul 19, 19, 5:37 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,098
No spirits in LH Y at all right as is on short haul? I've never flown LH Y long haul for obvious reasons.

BArb will let you pour your own alcohol, within reason.
ISTFlyer likes this.
hugolover is offline  
Old Jul 19, 19, 6:07 am
  #6  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,069
Both short- and longhaul Y serve alcohol, the longhaul selection is a bit more extensive (various hard liquors and things like baileys). Shorthaul is beer and wine.
hugolover and mmff like this.
oliver2002 is online now  
Old Jul 19, 19, 8:01 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bergen - Norway
Programs: EBD , FBG
Posts: 241
Great thing about lufty short haul is that they serve beer by the bottles, which is unusual for airlines. Not on long haul though, where itís served in cans...
Kleffen is offline  
Old Jul 19, 19, 8:25 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: AGH
Posts: 4,749
Originally Posted by Kleffen View Post
Great thing about lufty short haul is that they serve beer by the bottles, which is unusual for airlines. Not on long haul though, where it’s served in cans...
Well, if that beer in the bottle is Warsteiner, I rather prefer the Carlsberg out of a can.
worldclubber likes this.
fassy is offline  
Old Jul 19, 19, 8:51 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: Watergate
Posts: 60
Originally Posted by worldclubber View Post
To answer your second question: you are not allowed to pour your own alcohol.
A good workaround to this is to drink directly from the bottle.
nancypants and Internaut like this.
RichardNixon is offline  
Old Jul 19, 19, 9:11 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 3,039
Originally Posted by RichardNixon View Post
A good workaround to this is to drink directly from the bottle.
Which is possible, but doesn't solve the problem that consumption of alcohol not "administered" by the crew is not permitted on many airlines. A number of airlines explicitly mention that as part of their briefing after boarding now. See for example here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31315046-post9.html
worldclubber is offline  
Old Jul 19, 19, 9:16 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 3,039
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
Well, if that beer in the bottle is Warsteiner, I rather prefer the Carlsberg out of a can.
I agree and would never buy/drink Warsteiner when there is a decent alternative. However, when I came back from a long trip to parts of the world where beer is not part of the local tradition, I had a Warsteiner on the short-haul connecting flight back home recently and found it to be better than I had remembered. When calibrated right (by really bad beer for weeks) and desperate enough for a German-style beer, it can do the trick.
worldclubber is offline  
Old Jul 20, 19, 3:41 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 24,305
Originally Posted by tantuti View Post
searched the forums and found old info. We are flying in ecomony plus nonstop from iah to fra. Is there free wine or vodka during the flight? I was planning to bring a couple of small bottles but realize that you cannot pour your own drink or am I wrong?
Are you flying Economy Plus on United or Premium Economy on LH? Makes a difference ...
mmff likes this.
cfischer is offline  
Old Jul 25, 19, 2:51 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: HAG
Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Posts: 2,152
Originally Posted by worldclubber View Post
I agree and would never buy/drink Warsteiner when there is a decent alternative. However, when I came back from a long trip to parts of the world where beer is not part of the local tradition, I had a Warsteiner on the short-haul connecting flight back home recently and found it to be better than I had remembered. When calibrated right (by really bad beer for weeks) and desperate enough for a German-style beer, it can do the trick.
I'll take a Warsteiner any day over the Heineken rubbish KL forces on me.
OK still cater Pilsner Urquell, which is pretty good, though they are BoB in Y of course. I think that is still the best I've had on board, though I've had better in different lounges.
Fabo.sk is offline  
Old Jul 25, 19, 4:02 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 3,039
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk View Post
I'll take a Warsteiner any day over the Heineken rubbish KL forces on me.
OK still cater Pilsner Urquell, which is pretty good, though they are BoB in Y of course. I think that is still the best I've had on board, though I've had better in different lounges.
Depends on what you are looking for. NZ has some really decent craft beers at their lounges, and UA serves Goose Island. Warsteiner may not be the worst, but it is not a good ambassador of German beer culture either.

worldclubber is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread