Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible to upgrade to eco flex from eco classic after booking?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
Possible to upgrade to eco flex from eco classic after booking?

I have booked a return flight FRA-BCN for my wife and myself on LH in eco classic. Booking class outbound is S, inbound is T.

Now I would like to retroactively buy/upgrade to an eco flex ticket. Is that possible? If yes, how? The website only offers an upgrade to Business.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: LH HON
Not possible - otherwise nobody would buy flex from the beginning

unless i misunderstand what you’re trying to achieve?
chris63 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by daumueller
Not possible - otherwise nobody would buy flex from the beginning
Depends on the price difference. If buying the flex option at time of booking is 100€ vs 400€ for a later upgrade to flex... people will probably rather buy it at time of booking.

So it comes down to fees and upfare for changes against buying the flex option.

Nevertheless, I do not think it is possible to upgrade from a light or classic ticket to a flex ticket.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: LH HON
If you could make every ticket refundable by upfaring it... well... you get my point
mmff, chris63 and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
Well, I understand that this would be counterproductive to the airline if you could do that a day or even a week before departure. But my flight is going out in nearly two months. There's still some open seats in there (as well as Flex tickets), so I don't understand why you couldn't upfare it up to a certain deadline (say one month before departure). It could give the airline another potential revenue source.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: LH HON**
Originally Posted by SunshineStay
Well, I understand that this would be counterproductive to the airline if you could do that a day or even a week before departure. But my flight is going out in nearly two months. There's still some open seats in there (as well as Flex tickets), so I don't understand why you couldn't upfare it up to a certain deadline (say one month before departure). It could give the airline another potential revenue source.
You might be able to upgrade to a higher fare class by calling them, you would then be charged for the fare differential as well as a handling fee. You would then get miles accrual for the higher category, but terms & conditions for cancellation & refund will always remain the same as for the original ticket.

You will not be able to ”upgrade” to a ticket that you can then cancel and get a full refund for.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:17 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by daumueller
If you could make every ticket refundable by upfaring it... well... you get my point
Normally, when you upfare a ticket there's a restriction that the original (fare) portion remains nonrefundable. So it can be done.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by cas_de
Normally, when you upfare a ticket there's a restriction that the original (fare) portion remains nonrefundable. So it can be done.
That's how SK has been doing it for quite a while. You can upfare into a more flex ticket (unless it is a super cheap absolutely no-changes allowed ticket), but it will never relax the terms for cancellation and refunding of the original ticket. You just pay for flexibility in schedule, i.e. re bookings.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:52 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Yes, but this approach has mainly been used when the booking class did determine the level of flexibility (T -> super restricted; Y -> flex). With the introduction of the LGT/CLS/FLX fares this approach became a lot less useful, because worst case you could want to upgrade from a T_CLS_ fare to a T_FLX fare. This way you would only safe the rebooking fee, but a fare difference does still apply. Unless you want to take care of the same day changes that you are allowed to make when travelling on a FLX fare.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by cas_de
Yes, but this approach has mainly been used when the booking class did determine the level of flexibility (T -> super restricted; Y -> flex). With the introduction of the LGT/CLS/FLX fares this approach became a lot less useful, because worst case you could want to upgrade from a T_CLS_ fare to a T_FLX fare. This way you would only safe the rebooking fee, but a fare difference does still apply. Unless you want to take care of the same day changes that you are allowed to make when travelling on a FLX fare.
True, that's why I do not see why people argue "uh, doing so would ruing the whole ticket restriction system".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.