Search

What does "operated by" mean really with Aegean / Olympic

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More
What does "operated by" mean really with Aegean / Olympic

Hello,
I booked an economy flight from the Swiss website for a Geneva-Athens flight and Athens-Alexandroupoli flight. I was on a Swiss aircraft for the flight segment (GVA-ATH) as expected. The next day I was taking my ATH-AXD flight.
At Athens' airport I tried getting into the lounge (I am a frequent flyer, silver status), and I am told that I cannot enter because the flight is operated by Olympic Airlines, and Olympic airlines is not part of star alliance... Not cool, but fair enough.

But! I eventually get to the airplane and I was surprised to see that the airplane was from Aegean Airlines (which is part of star alliance). All documentation on board was from Aegean, the crew was from Aegean and there was a huge Aegean logo on the plane...
So what does "operated by" mean? Because clearly my flight was operated by Aegean Airlines!

Could someone explain, please?
Thanks a lot!
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:53 am

It is possible that Olympic wet leased the aircraft from Aegean. So Olympic still had the commercial responsibility of the flight.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by jscivi
Could someone explain, please?
Lengthy thread here.

Imagine WK/EW wetleasing an LX/LH plane and crew.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I am surprised LH hasn't dealt with that yet. E.g. United has added Olympic including all the SAG benefits and lounge access.
Olympic Air is a regional carrier based out of Greece. From its hubs in Athens, Rhodes and Thessaloniki, Olympic flies to dozens of destinations across the Greek mainland and islands.

Visit www.olympicair.com for more information.
MileagePlus members can earn award miles, Premier qualifying miles, Premier qualifying segments and Premier qualifying dollars on eligible Olympic Air flights. To receive mileage credit, present your MileagePlus number when you make reservations and make sure it appears on your boarding pass at check-in. Additionally, MileagePlus members receive the following benefits on Olympic Air-operated flights:
  • Premier Gold, Platinum and 1K® members are eligible for priority check-in, boarding, standby and baggage delivery
  • Premier Gold, Platinum and 1K members receive one additional complimentary checked bag
  • Premier Gold, Platinum and 1K members are eligible for access to Gold Track priority security and immigration checkpoint
  • Access to United Club locations
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
OA is like EW, not *A but United has made arrangements.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 10:42 am

I’m *A Gold , recently spent 10 days in Greece Didn’t have a problem with lounge access even on domestic Olympic flights. Vaguely remember I was told ‘ Olympic may not be Star Alliance but we are a Star Alliance lounge so welcome.. ‘

Maybe some lounge dragons are more helpful than others. Have to say they were pretty pleasant in Greece. Nice food , too..
Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of our forum regulars got badly burned on a confusing A3/RO codeshare situation. Even OLCI was impossible. A3 do come across as a little opaque on all this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by oliver2002
OA is like EW, not *A but United has made arrangements.
agreed, WK as well. LH should make arrangements because the A3 situation is just confusing.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:23 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by cfischer
agreed, WK as well. LH should make arrangements because the A3 situation is just confusing.
That would be good as long as there is an arrangement in return regarding EW.
Dover2Golf likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.