Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LOT Economy Saver Baggage and Seat Selection for Star Gold

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
LOT Economy Saver Baggage and Seat Selection for Star Gold

If one is Star Gold, is one able to have a free checked bag and/or Seat Selection when booking an Economy Saver (normally carry-on only and no seat selection) fare?

How strict are they on carry-on bag weight? I will have a laptop bag and a 21in rolling luggage.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:27 pm

The search function could come handy and even answer your question(s) next time

The one below is just one of the countless threads concerning bag/seat on LOT:

Checked bag allowance for Star Gold on economy saver

In a nutshell: 1 bag indeed allowed for Star Alliance Gold members but no seat selection (unless you’re willing to pay for it, needless to say).

That aside, no issues with weight/size at Warsaw (make sure to join the priority lane, worst case scenario —i.e. Dash operated flight— they will give you a Delivery to aircraft tag), you could however encounter problems when departing from an outstation (Venice is bad, Belgrade & Zagreb also were pretty thorough, just to mention a few airports I recently visited).

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Jul 8, 2019 at 2:39 pm Reason: spelling.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I had tried a search but I guess I used the wrong keywords.

I'm planning to go from warsaw to berlin. I think it will be a Dash flight. It's a late flight so I'd prefer not to check a bag. I guess I will try carry-on. Worst case, if they make me check it, I guess I'm still covered.

Thanks
Old Sep 11, 2022, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Just resurrecting. I am taking LOT from WAW to KRK (E170). Since my companion and I are Star Alliance Gold, we are buying economy saver (W) fares. With Star Gold, we get a free checked bag which we may or may not use/need with only our 22" rollaboards. If we can't take onboard, I will assume we get gate checked.

More interest to me is if anyone has had any success getting a seat assignment via phone as a Star Gold? It isn't the end of the world on a 45-55 minute flight in an E170 if we don't get assigned till the airport, but it'd be nice to have in advance.

Also, I was reading that Star Gold passengers seem to get access to the Elite lounge rooms in the LOT Polonez WAW lounge even though officially it is for Star business class passengers and LH HON/SEN. The food and drink appear to be marginally better in a quieter space.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 12:59 am

Not sure about the food being better...BUT..it is absolutely a quieter more comfortable space...or at least it was when I was there waiting for the WAW-LAX flight. (1120 am departure) I had a whole section of the "rear" lounge to myself which shows how uncrowded it was... and was even able to have a nap on a "lounger" type seat... I'm sorry I don't recall if there was a Star Gold sign... but its definitely worth a try!
CApreppie likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 1:21 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by CApreppie
The food and drink appear to be marginally better in a quieter space.
Marginally? The only *G lounge in Europe (SEN at CDG used to be the other one, but it is now closed), where you can self-pour genuine French champagne is not 'marginally' in my book.

Don't call LO - you are not entitled to complimentary Advance Seat Selection. Period. LOT, however, uses a basic version of Altea Theoretical Seating, so the best seats are kept for best clients. I always OLCI 20- 23 hours prior to departure and mostly manage to score bulkhead seat (no emergency exit seats on E70 as the fuselage is fairly short).
the810, CApreppie, JD3313 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 1:27 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
In my experience, if you're on Dash or Embraer operated LO flight, there is plenty of good seats available when online check-in opens. I never pre-select seats on these flights.
CApreppie likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 6:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
As a Star Gold, if I buy a non-saver ticket in economy, I understand I’m entitled to one piece at 23kg (included) + a further piece at 23kg (Gold allowance). What if I need more? I don't see an option to purchase additional luggage at any level (other than the ability to purchase one piece on a saver fare). Or have I missed something?

Similarly, if I purchase a saver fare, I get no luggage included but the Gold allowance gives me one piece at 23kg. The LOT website gives me the option of purchasing “The first piece of checked baggage” up to 23kg for EUR27 (which I assume would give me a total of 2 x 23kg without the ability to buy a second piece). Will this purchase apply to all flights in the journey (not the itinerary) (e.g. KRK-WAW, 3-hour layover, WAW-CDG) or is EUR27 per leg?
Old Sep 13, 2022, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TPJ
Marginally? The only *G lounge in Europe (SEN at CDG used to be the other one, but it is now closed), where you can self-pour genuine French champagne is not 'marginally' in my book.

Don't call LO - you are not entitled to complimentary Advance Seat Selection. Period. LOT, however, uses a basic version of Altea Theoretical Seating, so the best seats are kept for best clients. I always OLCI 20- 23 hours prior to departure and mostly manage to score bulkhead seat (no emergency exit seats on E70 as the fuselage is fairly short).
True, and even the soft drinks aren't bad, the juices and good water.

Even if you're Gold and book Flex or Standard entitling you to ASR, you still have to pay for extra legroom seats. That's a new change. It's only for SEN/HON.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danger
As a Star Gold, if I buy a non-saver ticket in economy, I understand I’m entitled to one piece at 23kg (included) + a further piece at 23kg (Gold allowance). What if I need more? I don't see an option to purchase additional luggage at any level (other than the ability to purchase one piece on a saver fare). Or have I missed something?

Similarly, if I purchase a saver fare, I get no luggage included but the Gold allowance gives me one piece at 23kg. The LOT website gives me the option of purchasing “The first piece of checked baggage” up to 23kg for EUR27 (which I assume would give me a total of 2 x 23kg without the ability to buy a second piece). Will this purchase apply to all flights in the journey (not the itinerary) (e.g. KRK-WAW, 3-hour layover, WAW-CDG) or is EUR27 per leg?
It's a good question and I am not sure. I think it works this way, on Saver, you can add a bag for 27EUR (115 PLN) and then if you went to OLCI you'd see your new baggage allowance is 2 pieces because LO (unlike LH) consider 0 + 1 = 1. I just wonder if Saver is somehow special...

When I open my bookings, I can buy up to 5 pieces, for example that's costing 1155 PLN for 5 x 23kg. Only the first bag on Saver is "discounted" and any additional, on Standard or Flex are 260 PLN including the so-called 20% discount.

The bag fee is applied per direction, not per segment.

The bottom line is, Basia wants your money so of course you can buy more bags!
Old Sep 30, 2022, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Flew LOT on the saver ticket. Checked in a bag at WAW for free at the elite check in section end of terminal. Got into the elite room of the Polonesz lounge. No seat assignment in advance, but could choose seats at check in. It was an E170 so no idea if exit row would have cost anything.

I had an agent want to weigh my bag before I got on the plane. He ended up lifting it and let me through. It was about 20lbs so within the range that Euro airlines often have. Probably would have had to gate check bag if it was heavier.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 12:00 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Is the maximum weight for Star Gold in international Y still 23kg or is it 32kg?
Old Dec 21, 2022, 5:31 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by danger
Is the maximum weight for Star Gold in international Y still 23kg or is it 32kg?
23kg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.