LH Refund/Contact

Old Jul 8, 19, 8:51 am
Original Poster

LH Refund/Contact

Hello, new user here looking for advice on getting a refund on my upgrade bid. I was on a recent LH flight through FRA and successfully bid an upgrade on LH440 from FRA to IAH (E to B -> $675). However due to an incoming flight delay they rebooked me on UA flight and was told that I should get my business class seat on UA47. I got a boarding pass for UA047 but without a seat number during the initial checkin at DEL. Since I had a good four hours before UA047 I went to the lounge and got access with the boarding pass. An hour and half before boarding I went to the gate and the horror started. First the lady said I am not in their system because LH did not create a new ticket for UA, second that I am actually on the next day flight, third that she would put me on waiting list and lastly gave me an economy seat. When I said I had a business class seat she was rude enough to say it is either the economy seat or she would offload me and that I would have to contact Lufthansa. Surely the lines for the service center were long and I was informed to go the business lounge for assistance. A nice gentlemen took my boarding passes and went upstairs, came back and said LH can't help as it is UA ticket and that it is their problem, and if I want to reach home that day I am better off of taking the economy seat. He mentioned if I waited I may get on the next day UA flight in business. I asked him why not the original LH flight and only then did I learn that they missed the whole point that I was moved from an original LH flight/reservation to UA flight. He said I could go back to the service center but I would miss my flight and that I should contact LH at IAH. As I didn't want to waste any more time at FRA I proceeded to boarding knowing that I may not have access to a service center at IAH. (The irony is that the automated email of updated itinerary clearly indicated a business class ticket on UA047 on the original scheduled date which the agent denied). Up on reaching home I contacted LH customer service only to learn that there is no way to speak to any one regarding a refund on the upgrade bid. I was told to submit feedback online. I submitted the feedback online but didn't get a feedback Id immediately, so I followed up with an email to customer relations. I did get a feedback Id later on (after an hour or so) but not response since then (4 days). Looking up the forum's old thread it appears that it may be several months before some one would respond to a feedback.
What are my options now for a refund? Is there any way to contact LH for a refund directly on the phone, or should I wait for a response and hope they would refund or should I file a dispute with credit card? Please advise.
Old Jul 8, 19, 8:57 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
The first thing you need to clarify: did you have a valid e-ticket for the United flight? Did you have an e-ticket number?
Old Jul 8, 19, 9:01 am
Original Poster

I learnt that LH didn't create one during my initial checkin at DEL. UA had to contact LH at FRA to create one. If I pull my itinerary up it shows three different reservations for UA047. So UA agent may not be at fault (only rude). I am frustrated because LH could neither help at FRA nor do they have a way for customers to contact them in a timely manner.
Old Jul 8, 19, 9:32 am

If you have proof that a valid e-ticket (on LH ticket stock) was created, then try to find out the value of the ticket. UA owes you 75% of that value.
Its all spelled out in EC261/2004.
Old Jul 8, 19, 9:32 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Sorry to hear about the problems you faced during traveling with LH...the issue is here that apparently the LH agents failed when rebooking you on UA47 and the ticket was neither updated nor reissued, i.e. you had no valid ticket for the UA flight. The agent indeed rebooked you in business class for UA47 (that was confirmed by the email you received) but your ticket was never reissued and consequently, you appeared as a unticketed passenger to the UA agents at FRA - at the time this was fixed there were no seats left in C/J class for UA47 flight - only in Economy. This means that it is not a IDB situation under EC Reg. 261/04 (because you never had a valid C class ticket for the UA47 flight). Having said that you should be entitled to a refund of the upgrade fee - any chance that you paid by credit card and is able to dispute the charge ? (merchant failed to deliver the services/goods purchased).
Old Jul 8, 19, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
If you have proof that a valid e-ticket (on LH ticket stock) was created, then try to find out the value of the ticket. UA owes you 75% of that value.
Its all spelled out in EC261/2004.
If the LH ticket had been correctly updated/reissued, the OP would never had faced problems that occurred at FRA. My bet is that the OP never had valid ticket for the UA47 flight until someone resolved this at FRA - but then it was too late (all J/C class seats gone on UA47)
Old Jul 8, 19, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by lh2019 View Post
. Up on reaching home I contacted LH customer service only to learn that there is no way to speak to any one regarding a refund on the upgrade bid. I was told to submit feedback online. I submitted the feedback online but didn't get a feedback Id immediately, so I followed up with an email to customer relations. I did get a feedback Id later on (after an hour or so) but not response since then (4 days). Looking up the forum's old thread it appears that it may be several months before some one would respond to a feedback.
I confirm this. Most likely it will take weeks before you hear anything from LH. Either you wait it out or dispute the credit card charge (the latter should only be done if you have given LH a fair chance to rectify things)
Old Jul 8, 19, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all the feedback. I am learning new things which is good. I did use a credit card so disputing is possible, just trying to determine timing (should I give LH at least a week to resolve? going by the history I may not see a response but should I wait?). It probably was too late at the gate when the issue was resolved and the UA agent could have been trying to help but having spent 30+ hours in travel I was to tired to be receptive. Should I contact UA customer service to see if EC261 applies (since the itinerary clearly shows UA047 on proper date with business (c) reservation? What is the proper method?
Old Jul 8, 19, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by lh2019 View Post
I did use a credit card so disputing is possible, just trying to determine timing (should I give LH at least a week to resolve? going by the history I may not see a response but should I wait?).
I think you should wait 10 business days. Ff you did not get anything back from LH by that time, file a dispute with your card company and give them the file id for the complaint at LH.
Old Jul 8, 19, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Will do. Thank you all for the help.
Old Jul 8, 19, 10:19 am

Again: do you have any document, confirming a Business Class reservation on UA47 with an e-ticket number.
Old Jul 8, 19, 10:22 am

If the LH ticket had been correctly updated/reissued, the OP would never had faced problems that occurred at FRA. My bet is that the OP never had valid ticket for the UA47 flight until someone resolved this at FRA - but then it was too late (all J/C class seats gone on UA47)
This does NOT make sense. If there has been no valid ticket, why would UA be willing to give a seat (albeit in Economy) at all?

First the lady said I am not in their system because LH did not create a new ticket for UA, second that I am actually on the next day flight, third that she would put me on waiting list and lastly gave me an economy seat.
UA wont do that to someone, who had no ticket at all.

Last edited by warakorn; Jul 8, 19 at 1:53 pm
Old Jul 8, 19, 10:39 am
Original Poster

I do have the itinerary automatically emailed to be when they rebooked me from LH440 to UA047 at DEL. The itinerary cleary shows the correct date of travel for UA047, the original e-ticket number by the passenger name and the travel class as business (c). The same ticker number was printed on the boarding pass between DEL-FRA but NOT on UA047 between FRA-IAH. The boarding pass that united gave me at the gate had a different e-ticket number. It was surely messed up some where as I no longer see a ticket number online, it was there when I checked two days ago and I saved it as a PDF that day).
Old Jul 8, 19, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
This does make sense. If there has been no valid ticket, why would UA be willing to give a seat (albeit in Economy) at all?

UA wont do that to someone, who had no ticket at all.
No, UA would not issue any boarding pass without an underling e-FIM / e-ticket. But, that can be done in very short order when the sending carrier is LH. The problem arises when there is no cabin class availability by the time this takes place. Hence, UA's abiluty to issue a Y, but not a J boarding pass. That pretty much ends the EC 261/2004 issue as UA is the operating carrier and it neither denied boarding nor downgraded OP.

As to the refund of the UG fee, I would send a note to LH asking for a refund within 7 business days and then submitting for a chargeback dispute on the 8th day, noting in that dispute that you made the request/.

Not to blame OP, but had he asked for a seat assignment at the lounge, the ticketing problem would have been immediately visible and perhaps resolved with a J seat at that point.
Old Jul 8, 19, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Not to blame OP, but had he asked for a seat assignment at the lounge, the ticketing problem would have been immediately visible and perhaps resolved with a J seat at that point.
Pretty sure the LH agents in the lounge wouldn't assign a seat for a UA flight which is already under gate control. They most probably wouldn't have even looked into the possibility, very little OP could have done to prevent this issue...

Search this Thread