Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Farewell, Rimowa in F?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Raul_R
As I was told by purser 1 week ago, after Rimowa become part of Louis Vuitton, the co-operation with amenity kits was terminated.
Most probably LVMH did just not agree with previous condition and LH did not like the LVMH conditions (if there was any at all).
Exactly, that’s the background.
A friend of mine works in product management and told me this explanation half a year ago already. Unfortunately...
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
The Rimowas were awesome, but looks like times have changed. Maybe LH can take this opportunity to do something cool and inventive, similarly iconic?

Maybe a weaved leather kit by Bottega Venetia? But BV is not German.

Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:26 am

On the LX side they should do a case by Freitag. Their stuff is ugly, but highly functional, lots of local pride, tells a good story about sustainability. It's also immediately recognizable. It makes perfect sense IMO.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by ACR2013
LH cut the cost in F already...food has been always so-so (compared to SQ, JAL, and many more), carpet don`t get cleaned for ages, etc, etc. Rimowa kits were a highlights of those, let`s be honest, mediocre flights. I am refusing to flight until Rimowa is back. Sapphire, Opal colors. would be nice..don`t care if they have anything inside either
I've been a big fan of the Rimowa kits for years and am not happy to see them gone but to refer to LH F as "mediocre flights" is just incorrect and unfair. The A380 and B748 are amazing jets. 99% of the time, the crew is fantastic and professional, the food and drinks are good (if you really want good food, nothing in the air will beat a $100 meal in a fine restaurant so let's be real) and the seat does a great job to allow me to sleep (which is a key reason for me to fly F). I don't need bling, doors separating the seats or crew fawning over me. I did love the separate bed and seat set up in the 744 but what can you do...
chris63, athome and sw1x like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by NYC1
I've been a big fan of the Rimowa kits for years and am not happy to see them gone but to refer to LH F as "mediocre flights" is just incorrect and unfair. The A380 and B748 are amazing jets. 99% of the time, the crew is fantastic and professional, the food and drinks are good (if you really want good food, nothing in the air will beat a $100 meal in a fine restaurant so let's be real) and the seat does a great job to allow me to sleep (which is a key reason for me to fly F). I don't need bling, doors separating the seats or crew fawning over me. I did love the separate bed and seat set up in the 744 but what can you do...
Agree
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by sophialite
The Rimowas were awesome, but looks like times have changed. Maybe LH can take this opportunity to do something cool and inventive, similarly iconic?

Maybe a weaved leather kit by Bottega Venetia? But BV is not German.

Indeed, BV isn't German. Maybe Porsche Design??? That would also make sense considering that they are ditching MB for the limo service and going with VW group. Come on LH marketing! You heard it here first!

PS sophialite since you're a stickler for details (which I appreciate in your posts and writing), it's Botega Veneta.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
The Rimowa kits were great, universally loved, but the Escada tablet kit is pretty cool too.. and they were around for years and years and years.
Also, to be frank, if you’re not flying an airline because of their amenity kit, I think it’s time to start questioning life decisions....
chris63 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:11 am

Indeed, BV isn't German. Maybe Porsche Design??? That would also make sense considering that they are ditching MB for the limo service and going with VW group. Come on LH marketing! You heard it here first!

PS sophialite since you're a stickler for details (which I appreciate in your posts and writing), it's Botega Veneta.
Fair. Although I never shop with them so I can't remember the exact spelling :-)

There clearly is precedent for Porsche Design. They've designed amenity kits in the past, from what I can tell on Google images.

The issue I have with them is that a case from PD would be like a case from anyone else: a box or a pouch with their logo tacked onto it. What made the Rimowa special was the shape and design of the box.

Also, Porsche makes cars. They're not really esteemed luggage or bag makers. For the same reason, I don't think we should have Nomos or A Lange pouches on LH, or Patek or Rolex kits on LX.

Rimowa just made so much sense. It's such a shame.
nnanlno likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by vantage03
The Rimowa kits were great, universally loved, but the Escada tablet kit is pretty cool too.. and they were around for years and years and years.
Also, to be frank, if you’re not flying an airline because of their amenity kit, I think it’s time to start questioning life decisions....
Agreed. It's among the dumber posts I've read on this forum.

At end of the day, the kits were a small touch that made a difference, just like rubber ducks, roses next to the screen, and La Prairie creams in the lavs. They're not super high cost items but they build a lot of brand loyalty and good will with your most premium clients. And if I was CEO I wouldn't be so eager to waste that good will to save chump change here and there.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:16 am

Fair. Although I never shop with them so I can't remember the exact spelling :-)

There clearly is precedent for Porsche Design. They've designed amenity kits in the past, from what I can tell on Google images.

The issue I have with them is that a case from PD would be like a case from anyone else: a box or a pouch with their logo tacked onto it. What made the Rimowa special was the shape and design of the box.

Also, Porsche makes cars. They're not really esteemed luggage or bag makers. For the same reason, I don't think we should have Nomos or A Lange pouches on LH, or Patek or Rolex kits on LX.

Rimowa just made so much sense. It's such a shame.
Agreed. It's too bad.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by vantage03
Exactly.

But ducks is ok...
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Please don't. The Porsche Design kits TG hands out in their F now on the inbound are not all that great.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:23 am

It's a shame Air France doesn't do Hermes pouches for La Premiere. You might argue that Hermes would never stoop so low as to license an amenity kit for an airline, but they already make Apple watch accessories.

They could do leather pouches. Or the synthetic pouches that have great patterns and can double as cosmetic bags (we ladies use them so that we don't stain our handbags...).
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber
Please don't. The Porsche Design kits TG hands out in their F now on the inbound are not all that great.
Ok then. PD on TG... I guess that proves sophialite point from above.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:26 am

It's a shame Air France doesn't do Hermes pouches for La Premiere. You might argue that Hermes would never stoop so low as to license an amenity kit for an airline, but they already make Apple watch accessories.

They could do leather pouches. Or the synthetic pouches that have great patterns and can double as cosmetic bags (we ladies use them so that we don't stain our handbags...).
Yes. Or Goyard but I suspect that that would be a difficult decision for the brand too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.