FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Lounge access when one leg is economy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1976438-lounge-access-when-one-leg-economy.html)

dinnerroll Jul 2, 2019 1:35 am

Lounge access when one leg is economy

I booked a round-trip SFO-ARN (Arlanda Airport, Stockholm) business-class ticket on united.com using award miles. Three of the four legs were on Lufthansa, the fourth was United. On the ARN-FRA first leg of the return, I accepted an economy seat on Lufthansa because business class was apparently sold out. When I got to ARN, I went to the business class lounge (run by SAS, if I recall correctly). I was told I was not eligible for the lounge because my next leg was in economy. I showed my boarding pass for the later FRA-SFO leg in business class, but the agent told me that didn't count. I wound up paying about $30 for the lounge access.

When I got home, I read the Star Alliance rules for lounge access. It says several times that access is granted if you have a premium class boarding pass for that day. It says nothing about the upcoming leg having to be in the premium class.

I contacted United and asked for a refund of my lounge fee. The customer service agent was very nice about it, but said rules are rules, she couldn't refund my fee but gave me a $50 United credit good for one year (which I am probably not going to be able to use). I told her that the rules said nothing about a split-class itinerary and they should be clearer, but again all I got was sympathy.

What's the story here? I paid (using miles) for a business class seat, flew in economy, and had insult added to that injury by being denied lounge access.

oliver2002 Jul 2, 2019 1:42 am

Unless its departing from the same airport you are SOL.

dinnerroll Jul 2, 2019 1:46 pm

Thanks. I wish I had known that before I booked the flight.

SK AAR Jul 3, 2019 6:53 am

:o hmm.. No lounge access at ARN made a big difference for you?

You didn't miss out on anything as the SAS business lounge is very mediocre/no point in going there. Having said that, the answer that you received were correct; you were departing ARN in economy class, i.e. no lounge access regardless how many miles/points you paid and the service class of your onward flights. The SK lounge agents couldn't care less about your onward flights from FRA - it doesn't matter to them.

EDIT: Reading your post again I understand that you paid for lounge access. USD 30?? You got to be kidding - that is a rip-off for this lounge. Definitely not worth USD 30.

oliver2002 Jul 3, 2019 7:18 am

Access to the SAS lounge is 259SEK/person... I was given this generous offer last month when I wanted bring in my children with me into the SK G lounge in ARN. We went next door to the Menzies lounge instead using my PP card.

dinnerroll Jul 4, 2019 1:12 am

For the record, I paid SEK 289 for the SAS lounge. The price has apparently gone up.