Help with Seat Assignments

Old Jun 29, 19, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Help with Seat Assignments

I’m trying to help some friends who are flying on LH419 IAD-FRA later today. They’re booked in Premium Economy (E fare), with an inbound connection into IAD on UA, but the ticket is on LH ticket stock (220).

They checked in on UA.com and one passenger was assigned a middle seat on IAD-FRA with no opportunity to change it, while the other passenger was not given any seat assignment, but it just generated a THIS IS NOT A BOARDING PASS, with instruction to check at the airport.

Pulling up their reservation on Lufthansa.com doesn’t allow me to select seats, and says that seats will be assigned by the partner check in website (United.com), but United.com won’t display seatmaps for the LH flights.

Looking on ExpertFlyer, there are a few open seats (and more that are showing blocked, but at least a few that are showing available), so I called LH, thinking this should be easy to resolve. The LH Service Center tells me they cannot assign seats and it can only be done online or at the airport. I’ve tried the LH mobile app as well, with no luck (it simply says “Seat reservation not available.”).

This seems completely ridiculous that there are open seats, but there is no way to select them until they get to IAD later today, including speaking to Lufthansa over the phone. Are we missing something obvious? Is there something else we can try? Thanks for any input!

Last edited by tmm1012; Jun 29, 19 at 1:13 pm
Old Jun 29, 19, 7:11 am

Programs: *G
Anytime I have trouble getting seats I contact Facebook/Twitter of operating carrier and it's always painlessly solved.

Not being able to get boarding pass means pax is required to show docs at check-in (security purposes)
Old Jun 29, 19, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately, I just contacted them on Twitter, but they're claiming they can't help either and just gave me the phone number or told me to check at the airport. I understand that at a certain time period, seatmaps need to go under airport control, but for most airlines, that's no more than a couple hours before the flight. This seems insane that no one can help them get their seats changed until they actually arrive in IAD, at which point they may be completely split up with the worst seats left. With open seats still on the seatmap, I can't believe there isn't a solution...

Last edited by tmm1012; Jun 29, 19 at 1:08 pm
Old Jun 29, 19, 1:36 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Is it a 220 (LH) ticket on a flight with a LH flight number? In that case you should have been able to reserve seats free of charge in advance without having to wait until OLCI opened.

https://www.lufthansa.com/gb/en/seat-reservation

A busy flight can go under “airport control” 24 hours or more before departure.

P.S. it appears the flight is oversold in Economy. They must be expecting upgrades to Premium Economy and Business.
Old Jun 29, 19, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

It was indeed a ticket on LH ticket stock (220). The thing is, the flight didn't seem to "officially" be under airport control, since I could still view the seat map on ExpertFlyer (as opposed to other times I've seen ExpertFlyer returning the error message that the flight is under airport control). When I called, the agent I spoke with said that "in her 5 years working in the Lufthansa call center, she had never been able to change/assign seats inside of 24 hours before a flight."

Their flight just left, and they were both stuck with middle seats, which is a pain, but life goes on. For the return, they're in regular economy, so I supposed they'll be forced to pay for advance seat assignments in case this same issue arrises. We had been monitoring the seatmap before this flight, and had seen plenty of decent seats at 48, 36, and 25 hours before departure, so opted not to pay for seats, since it was presumed that they could be selected at Check In (that was the message displayed on lufthansa.com)

Search this Thread