Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wrote down Lufthansa CS nametag & security was called on me. GDPR?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
Probably yes. GDPR defines personal data as “‘[P]ersonal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’).”, and clarifies “[A]n identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person.”

Also, please we aware that this kind of behaviour will not help you at all in Europe.
This is why GDPR in its current implementation is flawed. I support security and privacy. The fact that OP can turn around and write down a publicly displayed name and then be accosted is ridiculous, regardless of the continent or country.
lhrpete, hugolover, dav662 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I probably would have taken a picture of the slip and emailed it to my wife before handing it over to security. Then it would have been up to them to pursue a "GDPR" case against my email provider who I'm sure would tell them to pound sand.
GUWonder, hugolover and HMPS like this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:34 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
GDPR should not be a part of the discussion, there is nothing relevant about it in the event, except the word was used as nonsense as an employee.
However there is an assault, which is at the core of the description and where the focus should be.
lhrpete, hugolover and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Raul_R
...... and later apology-letter with confirmation, that this purser is not working as purser any more.
Sorry, but this is absolute BS - LH will NEVER share this with you
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Respectfully, I think you handled this rather poorly. I will not profess any detailed knowledge of GDPR, but it seems that there was some deliberate confrontation and grandstanding here on your part. The whole thing is a bit silly, right? The person wore a name tag, so his name is not a secret. You are obviously capable of remembering the name that you saw. So, you could have typed it into your phone a minute after leaving the desk, especially once you sensed the temperature rising. Why did you allow the scene to happen at all. I would have given the agent the scrap of paper and and just memorised the name for a few minutes.
Oh yes, Flyertalk victim blaming at its best. Overzealous GA calls the police on a traveler, but it's the traveler's fault.
mikew99, lhrpete, htb and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: Alaska, Hilton, Chase Ultimate Rewards
It's just another petty little power trip on the part of a GA who has had a bad day. But yes, don't write down a name in front of such a person. She has the authority to cancel your ticket and leave you stuck at the airport. Such people love it when they can score off a helpless passenger in such a way. Memorize the name the best you can and save it on your phone's reminder app as you make your way to the flight.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I can't believe some of the responses here. I was in FRA earlier this evening and I hate this airport. Being aware of the people who work there I just tread carefully. But this isn't the DDR, is it??? So they scratch the name out? What are they going to do then? Wipe the passenger's memory??

In Berlin TXL I once had an issue when I took a pic in the general corridor of the airport's public area. An Air Berlin mitarbeiterin started shouting loudly that I may not take photos. So I went over to her, as she beckoned me like I was a schoolboy, showed her the photo and let her delete it (she was not visible in the photo). All over, no problems, all calm. Let it go, just doesn't matter. But this attitude really bugs me. Do they do this with every tourist that lands in Berlin? I'm all for respect and privacy but this is behaviour that is plain stupid and belongs back in the DDR or some other earlier dark age.

Last edited by Concerto; Jun 29, 2019 at 6:55 am Reason: clarification, italicized
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
OP here, I am glad that some of today's replies were as displeased as I was that the security at FRA customer service would grab then have a tug of war with a customers property. They lied by saying "let me see that, I only need to look at it for a minute..." to which I said firmly "no--it is my property and you are planning to keep it or destroy/damage it against my wishes."

Ironically the guard who scratched this out left it just barely legible, so if I write they can easily identify the agent. Can I file a GDPR request of my own on my file and ask LH what information the agent (by name) accessed and for what purpose?

The agent refused to note my file that we spoke (which is a big reason I wanted a name to begin with...) But, I can prove I was there becuase to get past the gatekeeper and get a DMV-style place in line ticket they had to enter what flight and status (*G) I held. I have a photo of that ticket because I thought that might help prove to LH or my travel insurance that I went to customer service.

I'd have expected to forfeit the paper if I was in China or Cuba, but I felt I had sufficient rights in Germany to have the situation handled better. By police if LH or the security guard at the airside CS counters they felt they needed to call them. (after all, the agent knew my delayed flight details and gate #....)

Last edited by expert7700; Jun 28, 2019 at 4:35 pm
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Did you write down the name of the security guard that assaulted you?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by davidj1
Did you write down the name of the security guard that assaulted you?
No. Had I done so they'd have needed more guards and the process might have kept repeating. Until they ran out of guards or I ran out of paper/ink.

I suppose if I escalate it this week here are records of what guard was working that wing. Or I could ask FRA and LH to preserve camera footage to prevent auto deletion.

​​

​​​​​​
​​​​​
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
Probably yes. GDPR defines personal data as “‘[P]ersonal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’).”, and clarifies “[A]n identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person.”

I can give you the example of some countries in Europe where the names and photos of police officers are confidential information and taking notes / photos of them can land you directly in jail. If you want to complaint about one, you need to ask for their professional ID number that can only be traced back to the individual by the complaints unit.

Also, please we aware that this kind of behaviour will not help you at all in Europe.
WOW !
So then I would ask LH to abolish the use of all name tags ! For that matter all of GDR businesses.
(I can understand and appreciate this for Police and other Security Services).

Until now I have always asked for the 'person's business card.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
Oh yes, Flyertalk victim blaming at its best. Overzealous GA calls the police on a traveler, but it's the traveler's fault.
Sometimes it pays off to be the bigger person and let things go, rather than escalating a situation with an idiot. Life is just easier that way.
8420PR and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I had a similar experience with the lounge attendants at the GVA senator lounge. They asked me for my M&M card, which is the first time I had ever been asked for it. I asked why, when my boarding pass and e-Card on my phone have always been sufficient in the past, and she yelled at me.

I later tried to note her name to report her, and she covered her badge. And then threatened to report me (for what... I’m not sure?). The other person manning the desk also covered his badge and was complicit.

It it was embarrassing and atrocious behavior. I sent detailed feedback and got an apology. I don’t want an apology. I don’t want compensation. I wanted disciplinary action.
Tyrolean likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fransknorge
LH should absolutely not share an HR decision with a customer. But doing it is absolutely not a contravention of GDPR.
I do not believe LH actually did this, but for my own knowledge bank, are you saying that the following is not a contravention of GDPR?

"Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Mrs Schmidt has been demoted from her employment as a Purser on Lufthansa flight and will only act in the capacity of a second-grade flight attendant for the immediate future."
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Sometimes it pays off to be the bigger person and let things go, rather than escalating a situation with an idiot. Life is just easier that way.
Let's be clear on a distinction here (and I will assume that events unfolded exactly as OP reported them). The behaviour by the agent was completely unacceptable and should be reported. The purpose of a name tag is to be able to address the person, for one thing, and there is no legislation, enacted or sensible, that would prevent recording it, whether through grey cells or pencil and paper. The subsequent involvement of the rent-a-cops even more of a joke which must also be reported in conjunction with the first. But the choice at this stage is either to be the bigger person and deal with it in a calm manner after the fact, or to demand the involvement of the Bundespolizei at the airport. Anything else is going to escalate further and is unlikely to produce the desired outcome.
HMPS and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.