Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

For Service Issue Refund, Lufthansa wants ABA, Bank Acct# in an email???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

I had a service issue on a recent Lufthansa flight. They offered $100, but in the email requested that I send them, via email, my bank ABA and account number, along with a passport or drivers license copy.

I am concerned about potential security/theft issues by including this sensitive data on an email to an individual, as opposed to entering it on a secure web form.

I asked for an electronic flight certificate, but they are insisting on the info via email.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by LarrySinNJ
I had a service issue on a recent Lufthansa flight. They offered $100, but in the email requested that I send them, via email, my bank ABA and account number, along with a passport or drivers license copy.

I am concerned about potential security/theft issues by including this sensitive data on an email to an individual, as opposed to entering it on a secure web form.

I asked for an electronic flight certificate, but they are insisting on the info via email.
Bank account details are usual in Europe for such payment transfers.

Asking for your passport or drivers licence at the same time is not & IMO unreasonable, as you say, unsecure.

You could send the Bank account details & a copy of your passport with the numbers blanked out.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
They always say you can also send it via the secure contact form instead of an email and that you should make all numbers invisible. I also don’t like the new system, but it is not insecure, just a lot of hassle.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldclubber
They always say you can also send it via the secure contact form instead of an email and that you should make all numbers invisible. I also don’t like the new system, but it is not insecure, just a lot of hassle.
A lot of hassle indeed & given the current state of LH IT I wouldn’t trust them with anything beyond the bare minimum.
Dover2Golf and worldclubber like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by chris63
A lot of hassle indeed & given the current state of LH IT I wouldn’t trust them with anything beyond the bare minimum.
That’s very true.

I was hesitant, too, but they agreed that it was sufficient that the picture and the name are visible, covered all other information with black bars.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very wise ^

I wouldn’t lend them my bicycle

Last edited by chris63; Jun 27, 2019 at 2:34 am Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.