FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Delta to LH conx at FRA question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1975418-delta-lh-conx-fra-question.html)

woodford02A Jun 24, 2019 2:03 pm

Delta to LH conx at FRA question

Hello, I am considering making a connection on two separate tickets. I am aware of all the risks associated with this. Delta flight arrives in FRA at 855, flight to BCN departs on LH at 945. DL arrives in a D gate while the BCN flight will go out of T1, usually in A

1. What is the quickest way to transit between terminals? DL arrives in T1, LH departs T2
2. Is it reasonable to think I can make this tight connection if I have hand luggage only and already checked in with a boarding pass?

daumueller Jun 24, 2019 2:06 pm

That is waaaay too short. Chances of making it is very slim.

ISTFlyer Jun 24, 2019 4:45 pm

You need to rush as fast as you can as you would need to clear passport control and security at FRA. However, it's not worth the pain.
Would not risk it.

SK AAR Jun 24, 2019 5:16 pm

Sorry, but you got it wrong. Delta is at D/E T2 and LH is at A T1 (it could also be B1-13 Schengen gate at T1)

If your incoming flight is on time there is a fair chance that you will make it in time to the A gate of your LH flight. As long as you accept that there is high risk that you miss the LH flight (if e.g. the DL flight gets into FRA late or the lines for security check are long) and you would have to pay for either a new ticket or expensive rebooking, you could try it.

You should take the SkyLine train from D/E at T2 to A/Z at T1 - after clearing immigration and exiting the transfer area. It will require you to go through security check at A/Z T1 and the lines are often long. I'm not sure you can remain in transit without having to pass security check when arriving D/E at T2 and going to A T1. Anyway, it is quite a long walk from D/E T2 to A T1.

ISTFlyer Jun 24, 2019 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 31235865)
You should take the SkyLine train from D/E at T2 to A/Z at T1 - after clearing immigration and exiting the transfer area. It will require you to go through security check at A/Z T1 and the lines are often long. I'm not sure you can remain in transit without having to pass security check when arriving D/E at T2 and going to A T1. Anyway, it is quite a long walk from D/E T2 to A T1.

In all cases, the OP should clear security at FRA. FRA Terminal 2 ( the N/S area ) does not have centralized security and security checks are made at the gate. However, also taking the Skyline to T1A before clearing immigration, and then passing passport and security check over there would also work.

Transfer security areas are always less congested than security lanes for joining passengers.

Also a suggestion to the OP that you would %99.9 miss your connection if you are planning to do your connection on Sunday due to the reduced amount of security officers and lanes being open.

SK AAR Jun 24, 2019 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer (Post 31235892)
However, also taking the Skyline to T1A before clearing immigration, and then passing passport and security check over there would also work.

Transfer security areas are always less congested than security lanes for joining passengers.

Indeed, if this is possible the OP should take the SkyLine train airside to A/Z T1 and clear immigration and tranfer security check there - I wasn't aware of this as I never transfer from T2 to T1 at FRA (always within T1)

cas_de Jun 25, 2019 1:24 am

No way I would risk such a connection on separate tickets.

Kid Flyer Jun 25, 2019 1:57 am

what you can do is to buy a flex ticket and you can select a later flight online if you see that you will not make it.

mlin32 Jun 25, 2019 5:49 am

Like the others mentioned, more likely than not you will miss the 2nd flight. Change terminals, go through security control (not by any means quick at FRA), take Skytrain or a long walk.......nope.

cas_de Jun 25, 2019 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Kid Flyer (Post 31236919)
what you can do is to buy a flex ticket and you can select a later flight online if you see that you will not make it.

...assuming that the later flight has availability (if s/he wants to do a same day change; otherwise a fare delta will likely be due even on a flex ticket) and the OP has internet access while being on the delayed flight. same day changes on a flex ticket can only be done on the day of departure (at least that's what I have observed / experienced) so trying to change a flight before leaving the US on the previous day is likely to be treated as a rebooking and not as a free same day change.

NewbieRunner Jun 25, 2019 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Kid Flyer (Post 31236919)

Not sure how easy or expensive it is to buy a flex ticket which allows you to change to a later flight but the OP can buy a flex ticket for a later flight and change to an earlier flight if he/she finds it’s possible to catch an earlier flight departing in 50 minutes.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...ex-ticket.html

cas_de Jun 25, 2019 7:50 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 31237511)
Not sure how easy or expensive it is to buy a flex ticket which allows you to change to a later flight but the OP can buy a flex ticket for a later flight and change to an earlier flight if he/she finds it’s possible to catch an earlier flight departing in 50 minutes.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...ex-ticket.html

I have used the FLEX tickets to change not only to an earlier flight but also to a later flight, so it does work, given there's availability on the particular later flight.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...916e61af80.png

alserire Jun 25, 2019 11:13 am

Virtually no chance of making that connection. Crazy to try it. FRA is not designed for those types of connections.

chris63 Jun 25, 2019 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by cas_de (Post 31237706)
I have used the FLEX tickets to change not only to an earlier flight but also to a later flight, so it does work, given there's availability on the particular later flight.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...916e61af80.png

Yes, which in OP’s case could mean that DL WiFi must be functioning & the LH app, it’s simply a crazy connection at FRA even if his onward ticket is Flex....

chris63 Jun 25, 2019 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by alserire (Post 31238431)
Virtually no chance of making that connection. Crazy to try it. FRA is not designed for those types of connections.

Or even most connections :D